The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

.html on pages plugin not working at primary site (10 posts)

1. Synternet Strategies
    Posted 14 years ago #

We installed the .html on pages plugin at

http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/html-on-pages/

on our site at http://liceoff.com.

It's working great on the subdomains but not on the primary. The author is not responding to my requests for a solution. Does anyone have an insight? Is it an .htaccess issue most likely?

2. SteveAtty
    Posted 14 years ago #

I suspect that its an abandoned plug in.

3. Synternet Strategies
    Posted 14 years ago #

Well, that's unfortunate if true. We've had our site going for over ten years now and a plugin like this allows us to convert to wordpress without losing our standings in the search engines.

4. SteveAtty
    Posted 14 years ago #

If you had a rewrite rules that took the .html off the end of the URL and then served up the page without it would that work? Over time your search engines would slowly move over from the .html to the non html urls and you'd not get a huge number of 404s.

When you say it doesn't work on the main blog - are you running subdirectory or subdomain mode?

5. andrea_r
    Posted 14 years ago #

Um, you can set up the permalinks in MU/WP to have .html at the end of them.

http://codex.wordpress.org/Using_Permalinks#Having_your_posts_end_in_.html

No plugin needed.

6. SteveAtty
    Posted 14 years ago #

Good find Andrea - I wonder if that's why its a basically dead plugin?

7. andrea_r
    Posted 14 years ago #

Probably. :)

8. Synternet Strategies
    Posted 14 years ago #

>>Um, you can set up the permalinks in MU/WP to have .html at the end of them.<<

Thanks Andrea, but that's for posts. This is for pages, especially the shopping cart pages.

9. Synternet Strategies
    Posted 14 years ago #

>>When you say it doesn't work on the main blog - are you running subdirectory or subdomain mode? <<

Subdomain mode.

10. Synternet Strategies
    Posted 13 years ago #

Had my isp look into this for me and this was their response:

===============
    The only thing that I can see is that there is some sort of redirection issue from your .htaccess. It may be something that can be resolved, but customization of the plug-in and .htaccess files in your account falls outside the scope of WestHost Technical Support.

The Apache error log reports the following when you attempt to visit one of the pages at the home level:
    [Sat May 29 19:29:37 2010] [error] [client 66.249.68.130] mod_rewrite: maximum number of internal redirects reached. Assuming configuration error. Use 'RewriteOptions MaxRedirects' to increase the limit if necessary.

This basically indicates the redirection is looping and is unable to complete.
    =================

Anyone have any insights?

About this Topic

• Started 14 years ago by Synternet Strategies
  • Latest reply from Synternet Strategies