The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

TIMTHUMB WPMU FIX! (21 posts)

1. selfmade64856
    Posted 14 years ago #

Greetings fellow WPMU users!

All I ask is that if you do not have a fix THAT WORKS (and a video tutorial to show how you did it), to not comment.

.........and the search continues.

2. mercime
    Posted 14 years ago #

Gee I'm scared (knees shaking) but the fix given by creator worked for me
    http://www.binarymoon.co.uk/2009/10/timthumb-wordpress-mu/
    Good luck :-)

3. selfmade64856
    Posted 14 years ago #

I can hear them rattling all the way from over here as they should be! lol...funny mercime ;P

That was the reason I asked for the tutorial....I already went there but don't understand what to do with all the code.

4. mercime
    Posted 14 years ago #

@selfmade64856 - so have you gotten timthumb to work for you already?
    If not, let me know what theme you are using or what feature gallery you are using the script for. There are themes or galleries which might have already changed the original script, so that may be why it's not working for you. Cheers.

5. publicglaze
    Posted 14 years ago #

I tried that fix also but i really had no idea what to do with the code. @mercime, if you could help me that would be so amazing. I've been asking literally everyone and nothing. I am using a theme called Contrast (http://themeforest.net/item/contrast/68089) and im pretty sure this is the reason why my thumbnails wont work because the theme uses timthumb and of course, im using wpmu. I'd appreciate anything. any help. i'd give you my log in or whatever you need. thanks so much.

-Gabrielle (http://www.publicglaze.com)

6. mercime
    Posted 14 years ago #

Hi publicglaze - That's a very nice premium theme which works across browsers. There are solutions and some workarounds. The solutions might not have worked for you because of so many variables, WPMU notwithstanding. One variable is that the theme author has modified the timthumb.php or thumb.php script. Another variable is how the call is made from the template modified by the way the theme authors may have added functions to help in the process within functions.php.

Thing is, it is almost not necessary to use the timthumb script anymore because of the new post thumbnails functions in WP 2.9 which can replace timthumb. Could not find your contact form in your site.

7. code012
    Posted 14 years ago #

HI mercime,

I was so frustrated with this problem, I was about to give up.
    Then you showed up! :)

Can you please share your knowledge with the codings to fix thumb.php? I barely know the codes, and don't know much about codings. I just look at the codes and edit with lucky guesses. This one, however, is hard.

The website I'm having trouble with - http://gamersroute.com
    Theme - The Original Premium News theme from WooTheme.

Looks like the original timthumb.php file has been modified to thumb.php. It only looks normal because I manually changed each posts' custom field from /files/pix.jpg to /blogs.dir/#/files/pix.jpg

While I wait for your kindness, I'll search for alternative solution (WP 2.9 thumbnails function) just in case we can't resolve it.

Thanks in advance!

8. andrea_r
    Posted 14 years ago #

Get a newer copy of the theme. Woo Themes have updated all of them to make sure it works right in MU. If it's not, contact them.

9. code012
    Posted 14 years ago #

I do have the latest version.
    And for their support, I have to buy one of their theme. This theme was one of their free ones. I do plan to support them once I can afford it though but until then, I need help from coding ninjas..

10. mercime
    Posted 14 years ago #

code012, yeah I see you are using the latest version and that was supposed to be compatible with WPMU. I am thinking of adding that theme for member blogs in an install and I'm veering away from relying on external scripts for image resizing when there are native functions available.

Initial scan of template files looks like using using post thumbnails can do it for new installs. For older installs, I assume that after uploading an image, you also posted it page in addition to adding the link in custom field. In this case, post thumbnails function is in your future so that your older posts will still have thumbnail in single post page per theme demo. If not, Get The Image Plugin will be the route to go. Either way, have to test first to see if there's conflict with any of many functions within.

11. code012
    Posted 14 years ago #

mercime - Thank you for the reply.
    Maybe post thumbnails feature is way to go, since it's native feature from WP.

I just hope that it doesn't require to change too much in the coding so that later if they decide to update the theme, it doesn't break it.

12. cogmios
    Posted 14 years ago #

I bumped on this thread. I made some fixes for a theme which im using for MU but it gives me a "500 error", is there anyone who can give me a brain clue on this?

I posted the code here: http://swiftthemes.com/forums/showthread.php?435-TimThumb-php&p=1457&mode=linear#post1457

13. artsfish
    Posted 14 years ago #

I'm having the same thumbnail issue while trying to use the Woo Premium News Theme. They state on their FAQ page that all themes work with WPMU - but the Premium News changelog shows that the last update to the thumb.php file was in 2008. If that's true, there's no way that the thumbnails would work with WPMU, as I understand it.

I'm reluctant to start digging in the code since I don't really have the time. If Woo really wants to sell their premium themes they might find it beneficial to avoid frustrating the folks who are trying out their free themes. I went in circles on both their site and in Google just trying to find out if this theme had been fixed. They have a paid-customer-only forum and (apparently) almost no other information otherwise.

14. andrea_r
    Posted 14 years ago #

but the Premium News changelog shows that the last update to the thumb.php file was in 2008. If that's true, there's no way that the thumbnails would work with WPMU, as I understand it.

The thumb script itself does NOT have to be changed. Where the script is called is the issue.

Their paid themes have the fix. Apparently the free themes do not.

15. artsfish
    Posted 14 years ago #

Where the script is called is the issue.

Ah I see, that is useful information, thank you.

Their paid themes have the fix. Apparently the free themes do not.

Hm. If there are any Woo folks tripping upon this- I would like to float the suggestion that this might be bad PR :-)

16. memitch08
    Posted 14 years ago #

I'm having a problem with TimThumb.php as well? It was working, and now all of the sudden the tumbnails won't show-up? I'm lost. I've tried disabling plugins - and everything - but to no avail. I'm using the same modified on two separate sites - and on one of them it is still working.

Please help! I'd like to get my thumbs back!

17. andrea_r
    Posted 14 years ago #

Check your error logs. Please.

if it was working and now "suddenly" does not, we'd all be guessing.

18. memitch08
    Posted 14 years ago #

i did check the error logs - and saw nothing relating to timthumb.php? There were a couple of errors but not on this site with this theme? It works on another URL? Here is the link generated by the script: and as you can see it comes up a blank page - however when you simply go to: there is an image there. The permission for the cache folder is 755 - I changed this to 777 - but it still doesn't work?

19. memitch08
    Posted 14 years ago #

ah - the links got lost!

Generated URL

For Image: Image

20. memitch08
    Posted 14 years ago #

The Thumbs are showing now - only because I manually manipulated the code. I had to bypass timthumb.php - I would like to get it working though for future posts.

I'll let you know when I can get the example up again.

21. memitch08
    Posted 14 years ago #

Ok - I'm still trying to resolve the issue but I had to move the site here:

http://restorationgateway.org/test2/

About this Topic

• Started 14 years ago by selfmade64856
  • Latest reply from memitch08