The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

Show category posts from all member blogs (5 posts)

1. revolucion
    Posted 14 years ago #

Dear WPMU-users,

I'm currently in the process of setting up a wpmu/buddypress installation which is going to be used by teachers and students.
    The structure we hoped to be able to create, was that every student creates his own blog on user creation (which obviously works), and that blog auto-creates several categories like "Inspiration", "storyboard", etc, in which the students can then posts their content (that's also covered by using the great New Blog Defaults plugin).

So far so good.

Now, ideally, we would like the teachers to be able to see all posts from all student blogs that are posted in the category "Inspiration" (i.e. domain.com/category/inspiration/ ).
    Sadly, the normal category links don't work that way, as part of their permalink is the blog-name itself (i.e. domain.com/studentXblog/category/inspiration ), and that obviously only shows the "Inspiration" posts of just that particular student.

What would be the best way to go at this?
    I have found the Site-wide Tags Plugin, but for some reason that doesn't work, as the Global Posts blog it makes keeps showing up empty.
    And the reason we chose categories as opposed to tags is that categories have parent/child structures which we would like to use.

Any thoughts or ideas would be very welcome!

2. DeannaS
    Posted 14 years ago #

Hm... I would think that the sitewide tags plugin would be your best bet here. I'm not sure why it's not working for you, though. I'm assuming you've asked for help on that on another thread, yes?

Any other approach is going to be fairly resource intensive. You'd have to loop through all the blogs looking for posts of that category. Yuck.

(Just so you know, you'd have the same issue with tags, so switching to tags is of no help, either.)

I think that the wpmudev premium site has an alternate method for making a global table of all the data for projects like this. But I haven't used it so I can't say for certain that it would work for you.

3. revolucion
    Posted 14 years ago #

Thank you for your reply DeannaS.

I've come across this plugin called 'Category Mapping', which basically enables a similar action, you can map memberblog-categories to top-level categories.
    The only problem is, you can only set this afterwards for existing blogs since you usually don't know up front what categories a blog will have.
    For this project however, that isn't an issue, as we'll restrict the students from making their own categories anyway.
    So I'll see into recreating it so that it'll work on blog creation, if I can find the time ;)

Else I'll see if I can get the Site-Wide Tags plugin working, as I tend to agree that would be my best bet after searching quite intensively on the support forums already.

4. andrea_r
    Posted 14 years ago #

The sitewide tags plugin shoudl work to pull all *exisiting* categories into one blog,. It's a little misnamed though, as it pulls tags and categoreis and a whole lot else.

5. ancawonka
    Posted 14 years ago #

I'm using the sitewide tags plugin to do this as well - I get all the posts from all the blogs into my "global" blog, and then extract just the content in those categories I'm interested in.

So, it can be made to work...

About this Topic

• Started 14 years ago by revolucion
  • Latest reply from ancawonka