The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

Large Number of Posts Blogs Hangs Everywhere (4 posts)

1. kermitdej
    Posted 14 years ago #

Hi...first timer here so hopefully I'll explain this clearly and succinctly. Have WPMU running on Apache Windows Server 2003 with XAMPP install and using one database for the application. Everything works great on all 1300+ blogs except for one.

That blog currently has about 200,000+ posts on it. The pages which don't seem to ever load are:
    -Dashboard
    -the index page (displaying max of 10 blog posts) hardly ever loads.

The individual posts page works fine as well. So it has to be something with some type of analysis WPMU does when loading those particular pages. Glancing at the Apache Logs there's nothing in there after I try to load any of these pages.

Can WPMU not handle that many posts inside of a single blog? I wouldn't think that's the issue, but maybe there's a plugin or something that may write some additional data to the logs I can use.

Thanks for any help.

2. andrea_r
    Posted 14 years ago #

Sure it can - it's your server that actually has to serve that content up though.

Not sure how to do this on a Windows box (even with xaamp) but on a Linux box I'd run a top and watch it while someone tries to load that blog, and see what the server does.

3. kermitdej
    Posted 14 years ago #

@andrea_r thanks so much for the response. I'm glad to know first off that WPMU can handle blogs with that many posts....which I figured it would have to...lol.

Top via Windows is Task Manager and that was a great idea. I ran it while the page attempted to load and viewed it. It's very strange but Apache (httpd.exe) and MySQL (mysqld.exe) seem to ramp up their memory usage during the first 20-30 seconds, but then tapers off...but yet the page still just hangs there. As I'm writing this, the page has been "loading" for 7 minutes. So something's definitely up with this one blog.

I'd like to copy maybe half of all of the posts in this blog to another "test" one and just see if that does it. A GUI via Navicat can't really handle so many tables so is there a mysql command line that would essentially do that?

Thanks for any other ideas that you may have to share. I do love working with WPMU.

4. SteveAtty
    Posted 14 years ago #

I assume you've done things like rebuild the tables and optimised the database?

About this Topic

• Started 14 years ago by kermitdej
  • Latest reply from SteveAtty