The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

transfering from wordpress MU to webhost (7 posts)

1. jorgepi
    Posted 14 years ago #

I'm using WordPressMU installed locally on my computer as subdomains. I want to be able to create blogs for different clients locally on my computer and then transfer them to each client's webhost.

What worries me is that changes that I make locally, won't be reflected on the webhost once I transfer the theme.

How can I transfer the entire blog, settings, plugins, etc. to a webhost from my wordpressmu local installation? so that it runs in the webhost exactly as it runs locally.

Thank You,
    Jorge

2. andrea_r
    Posted 14 years ago #

"What worries me is that changes that I make locally, won't be reflected on the webhost once I transfer the theme."

What changes are you making to the theme?

If you're using options page settings, and plugins settings, then you will absolutely have to re-set those up on the client site, or transfer the db tables.

If you're hardcoding theme files, then they'll be fine.

3. jorgepi
    Posted 14 years ago #

Thank You Andrea,
    Can you explain in detail if possible, how can I transfer the db tables from my computer using phpMyAdmin to godaddy?
    Would all the blogs that I have in wordpressmu be transfered or how do I choose the exact blog that I want to transfer?

4. andrea_r
    Posted 14 years ago #

Make backups of everything first, including both databases.

Go to Site admin -> Blogs.
    Find the blog you want to move.
    Note the ID number of the blog. (it's at the beginning of the line)

Go into phpmyadmin and lo0ok at your WPMU database tables. Find the ones the match your blog ID. You specifically want wp_X_options. That houses all the blog's plugin option and usually the theme. Note any other plugin tables.

Export those tables.

If it's moving to a single install, you'll have the edit the .sql file to take out the _X on the table names.

On the new install, drop the old wp_options table and import yours in.

If this is too scary or confusing, you'd be better of just transferring over the theme & plugins files to the live site, and settign up the plugins & theme options again.

5. honewatson
    Posted 14 years ago #

Why not just Svn and Wordpress export
    import .

6. andrea_r
    Posted 14 years ago #

... becasue it doesn't pull any saved plugin options.

7. honewatson
    Posted 14 years ago #

True, I only use mu-plugins so I forgot about that.

About this Topic

• Started 14 years ago by jorgepi
  • Latest reply from honewatson