The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

Main site + 3 blogs with main site wrapper? (7 posts)

1. bloggus
    Posted 14 years ago #

To have WPMU or forthcoming WP 3.0 as a alternative to Joomla at the moment I need this:

1. main site, like a magazine

2. three blogs with menues and everything around from main site (1). So no individual blogs, but blogs as a part of the main site.

It is easy to get 1 to work fine, but I really can't find a good way to use blogs inside the main site in a good way, since all things points towards that the blogs have to be individual sites. Of course the theme can be the same, but that's not full integration.

Is there any other way?

2. andrea_r
    Posted 14 years ago #

If they are subfolder blogs, the user can't tell they are separate.

Yeah, it's totally do-able in MU. (or 3.0, whatever)

3. bloggus
    Posted 14 years ago #

Hi andrea,

Yes, but as subfolder blogs, the wrappere around it will be set different. Yes, I know same theme can be used, but I would like to have the content fron the main site beeing a wrapper around the blogs.

That can't be done? As I understand the blogs will be as individual sites even if they are in the subfolders?

4. andrea_r
    Posted 14 years ago #

"but I would like to have the content fron the main site beeing a wrapper around the blogs. "

I really have no idea what you mean by this.

Content is the posts.

A wrapper around things usually refers to the theme.

If you mean the header links and the navigation bar, yes you very well can leave them pointing to the main site. Hardcode soem of it.

So this for the nav bar:
    just before the nav bar code put
    <?php switch_to_blog(1); ?>
    right after the navbar code put
    <?php restore_current_blog(); ?>
    then it will always show the pages from Blog #1.

It is still very much a THEME issue.

5. bloggus
    Posted 14 years ago #

Thank you andrea.

Didn't know about
    <?php switch_to_blog(1); ?>
    <?php restore_current_blog(); ?>

That could be quite interesting to try.

6. ancawonka
    Posted 14 years ago #

Hi there,

I'm doing something similar:

1 "main" site
    7 (or so) sub-sites with pages, and posts

I am using one instance of Thesis as the theme for all the blogs, and have created some custom navigation that integrates pages from all of the "blogs" to give the sense that there is a single unified site.

I'm using RSS feeds and the Sitewide Tags plugin to aggregate content from the child blogs into the "main" blog - but the ST plugin is giving me some trouble so I might try using the switch_to_blog trick to get content to show up properly in my sidebars.

7. garkraaijeveld
    Posted 14 years ago #

Hi all, nice discussion.

I have something similar, but little bit different.

My main blog is located at example.com/ and is the standard wp installation.
    And I installed wp mu in example.com/wp-mu/

What I want is the wp-mu blogs integrated in my navbar on the main blog.

Anybody knows how that works? I think it has to be in header.php but can't find the good script.

About this Topic

• Started 14 years ago by bloggus
  • Latest reply from garkraaijeveld