The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

Need admin to be able to embed videos like regular WP (5 posts)

1. reality bomb
    Posted 14 years ago #

I'm having a mini nightmare trying to embed videos into pages and posts as admin. Whenever I save the page or post the embed code just disappears.

I understand theres a security risk relating to allowing users to add videos but why can't I do it as admin.

I installed the Viper's Video Quicktags plugin but this is no good for me because some of the videos I need to embed are located on univerity websites, lecture websites and ted.com to name a few and this plugin doesn't allow this.

I urgently need a sollution to allow admin the same features as a regular WP install, I don't need anyone else to be allowed to add media, just the admin.

PLEASE SOMEONE HELP!!!

2. dgilmour
    Posted 14 years ago #

You can't do it as Site Admin because that role provides access to additional site-wide functions; although Site Admins can access the admin-level functions on individual blogs, including publishing, they do so on the same basis as other admins.

The unfiltered-mu plugin offers a way round this, but will affect either all users (if placed in mu-plugins) or will normally be available to all blog admins as a plugin they can activate. This, of course, re-introduces the security risk the default design protects you against.

3. tdjcbe
    Posted 14 years ago #

I could have sworn that Viper's plugin allowed for use of an url from any site to be embeded with the flash shortcode. The poster may want to check the docs for that plugin. edit: Says so on plugins description page on wp.org that it does.

Oliver's site is timing out but I know the his plugin has the same option: the ability to use the url of the video and get that embeded:

http://www.daburna.de/blog/2006/12/13/wordpress-video-plugin/

edit: Just brought up the plugin source code and with Oliver's plugin, it;s also done by the flash shortcode. Look for the bit about generic flash.

4. reality bomb
    Posted 14 years ago #

Please excuse me because I'm new to MU and I'm still learning all the lingo but I don't want every site admin to be able to do this, just me at the very top of the tree with the top level MU admin. Surly I should be able to have settings and features in my admin area that are not passed down to everyone who starts a new blog?

I will be looking elsewhere if this is the case because adding video, especialy in todays day and age is one of the most important aspects for a successful website/blog.

Is there no core edits I can do to hide the unfiltered-mu plugin from other blog admins?

5. andrea_r
    Posted 14 years ago #

Video embeds are now built in too.

If you really really do NOT want your users to be able to do that, knock them down to contributor status or something. their blogs, OOTB, have similar functionality to the blogs at wordpres.COM.

About this Topic

• Started 14 years ago by reality bomb
  • Latest reply from andrea_r