The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

Locked down wp mu for school (7 posts)

1. StingTech
    Posted 14 years ago #

I was wondering if anybody had any experience with a locked down version of wp mu.

I need to set this up for a school: every students would have an individual blog, viewable only to the student, his teachers and the admin.

Any tips?

2. tdjcbe
    Posted 14 years ago #

Depends on the physical location of the server and the network. If the install is on a server attached to whatever local network being run, I'd just make it accessible only to the local network. That would be the easiest method.

Care to give us some more details please on how this install is going to be setup? Is it going to be visible from home sites? Just the school? Where will the install be physically located? On a school server? On the net?

3. StingTech
    Posted 14 years ago #

Server will be on the net, blog will be behind a login form (access to other resources too).

4. dgilmour
    Posted 14 years ago #

Nothing to do with WPMU, but you risk missing out on some key educational benefits with this config. Without an authentic audience - not even that of fellow students - you're missing a huge opportunity for engagement, and considerable potential value from peer feedback via comments. You have to guard against just using technology to do the same old things, just in an electronic way.

5. StingTech
    Posted 14 years ago #

It's not a public school, it's a private academy with very specific goals, hence the desire to keep individual content private and available only to the student and their instructors.

6. tdjcbe
    Posted 14 years ago #

If the "login form" is provided by your user management program, you should be fine. WPMu doesn't do anything like that out of the box although if you search the forums for "privacy" you should see some discussion on the topic.

Do realize though that even with that, you run the risk of being hacked either through wpmu or the server itself, either via a security problem or a hacked password. A login forum isn;t a cureall and I hope you realize that.

Please consider IP blocks that make the server only accessible from the school's IP address(es).

7. andrea_r
    Posted 14 years ago #

About this Topic

• Started 14 years ago by StingTech
  • Latest reply from andrea_r