The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

"Forbidden" - when user tries to access their admin panel (10 posts)

1. Robertlg39
    Posted 14 years ago #

Hello,

I have my site setup with subdomains.

When I register as a user and then create a blog I can't access that users admin panel - I get the following error:

You don't have permission to access /wp-admin/ on this server. Additionally, a 403 Forbidden error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.
    Apache/1.2.22 Server at AppStuff Port 80.

I've searched the forums but can't find any specific help for this.

Can anyone point me???

Thanks!
    Rob

2. tdjcbe
    Posted 14 years ago #

Check the ownership and the permissions of the wp-admin subdirectory. Have a feeling that's where the issue is. They should be owned by some combination of your username with your hosting account and the webserver and have a permission of 775 or 755.

Specific answers depend on what you;re running for a hosting platform.

You may want to get with your host about the issue. That's really a hosting issue, not a wp/ wpmu one.

3. Robertlg39
    Posted 14 years ago #

Thanks....

I tried 755, 775, and 777 - still the same thing.

It says I don't permission to access the /wp-admin/ - why would that be a hosting issue? I can access it through ftp no problem.

Rob

4. andrea_r
    Posted 14 years ago #

Because when you log in via ftp, you're authenticated against the owner of the folders already - which is you, usually. :)

5. tdjcbe
    Posted 14 years ago #

755, 775, and 777

That's the permissions setting. Please check the ownership of the wp-admin directory. Both the owner and the group are probably set to your username for your hosting account and the webserver can;t access it. Your host will probably be able to help you.

6. Robertlg39
    Posted 14 years ago #

Sigh....LOL

Andrea - I read your post about GoDaddy, that's who I have.....just got off the phone with them and I can't edit the htppd.conf file - if this is what I need to do?

I can reinstall, and redo all my work, and create subdirectories instead of subdomains, but I've read that subdomains are better?

I'm totally ferklempt!!!

And TD - GoDaddy wasn't able to tell me the "owner" of that directory - they didn't know what I was talking about......and I have no idea how to check it out from file manager or ftp.

I can't believe that everyone that uses Wordpress and GoDaddy has their own VPS???

7. tmoorewp
    Posted 14 years ago #

I can't believe that everyone that uses Wordpress and GoDaddy has their own VPS???

Probably most everyone running WordPress MU has their own VPS as WordPress MU requires a few more server-side settings than standalone WordPress does.

If you can't access /wp-admin/ now, reinstalling to subdirectories won't help, because you'll still run into permissions denied issues. You need to resolve file ownership, as tdjcbe has explained, in order to fix the issue.

8. Robertlg39
    Posted 14 years ago #

Thanks Tmoore....any thoughts on how to resolve the file ownership? :)

How was able to do this before - create a blog and access it? I know when I first installed WPMU I tested that functionality.

They all have VPS's? So, not only does one need to learn WPMU but also have to purchase, and learn, Apache Web Server?

Great! lol

9. andrea_r
    Posted 14 years ago #

Nah, on larger hosts with managed VPS's they make it easy for you.

You should not have to edit httpd.conf. That has nothing to do with allowing access to the wp-admin folder.

You need to login via ssh. that's command-line. Then you have to do a ls -l when you get to your web root folder. That will show you all the files and directories, tell you the permissions AND tell you the owner.

10. Robertlg39
    Posted 14 years ago #

Thank you Andrea!

I came across an older post of yours - there are quite a few :) - and in that thread someone was talking about an upgraded plan with GoDaddy, and a dedicated IP - which I can always use - so I just did that, at any rate as I needed the the additional email boxes and the IP for something else.

So.....now I'm waiting for that to be configured and see where I stand - if I have to reinstall WPMU, import the db and all, not a problem......I may anyway, since I've been "learning on the go" and have probably messed stuff up along the way - just haven't noticed it yet :)

I'll telnet in and check out those settings.

Rob

About this Topic

• Started 14 years ago by Robertlg39
  • Latest reply from Robertlg39