The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

Fatal Error upon install (6 posts)

1. lobsey
    Posted 14 years ago #

Hello --
    I have followed the directions three times to the letter (except the readme file does not say a word about having to change the wp-config.php file, which I have now done to update my MySQL username/pw etc) .. running the index-install.php brings me to an ominous screen that begins:

"`Fatal Error
    If your blog does not display, please contact the owner of this site.

If you are the owner of this site please check that MySQL is running properly and all tables are error free.

Database Tables Missing.
    Database tables are missing. This means that MySQL is either not running, WPMU was not installed properly, or someone deleted wp_site. You really should look at your database now.`

The database does indeed exist, but I haven't touched it (so naturally there are no tables in it) .. I've never seen anywhere in the instructions on creating my own TABLES, I had figured that would be done automatically upon install. This is the third time I've deleted all the files and re-uploaded the fresh copy.. cleared out my cache, rebooted -- I'm really stumped on how to get this to work.

I'm using GoDaddy with all the right versions of .php and mySql, etc. Any clues at all as to what I've done wrong? ARe there other .php files I need to go in and edit that the readme.txt also doesn't mention?

Thanks a ton for anyone's help :D

2. mercime
    Posted 14 years ago #

"I'm using GoDaddy with all the right versions of .php and mySql, etc. "
    But are you using the required hosting plan by GoDaddy? http://help.godaddy.com/article/5072

3. andrea_r
    Posted 14 years ago #

"(except the readme file does not say a word about having to change the wp-config.php file, which I have now done to update my MySQL username/pw etc)"

Because you DON'T change hte readme file. At the top of wp-config is a big huge message surrounded by these things: ****** that says to NOT edit the file like you do in single WP and that MU will handle it on the install screen.

that is what you missed.

delete wp-config.php. Go to your domain. Fill in the boxes.

4. lobsey
    Posted 14 years ago #

Whoops ... thanks for the response ;) .. I saw that warning you speak of, but I was getting some sort of error that said $BASE needed to be assigned to the directory the blog lives in -- and google led me astray to people who changed their config file. Deleting the file worked indeed, thank you for the tip. I'll try to pay more attention to the notes ;)

5. tdjcbe
    Posted 13 years ago #

We got ourselves a convert. :)

6. andrea_r
    Posted 13 years ago #

I think lobsey is my favorite person today. :)

About this Topic