The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

White Page after Publish / Update Posts after Site Migration (10 posts)

1. coachctv
    Posted 13 years ago #

I recently migrated my site from a domain environment to the dev environment. In doing so, I dumped the dev sql, find/replaced the urls, and then imported into the prod database.

The dev and prod environments are otherwise synched, but now whenever I publish a new post or update an old post, I get redirected to a white page. This only happens on the prod site, not in dev. I'm sure I must have missed something in either settings or the db. Any ideas?

2. tdjcbe
    Posted 13 years ago #

White screen usually means a plugin conflict. Rename the mu-plugins and plugins subdirectories to get the site to load without those files and see if the white screen still occurs. I linked to a search so you can see the previous discussions folks get white screens.

What's in your webserver's error logs? (Friendly reminder that info should be in your first post. That's a good habit to get into with any software, not just wpmu.)

Double check the changes in the db. As you note, you may have missed something.

3. tmoorewp
    Posted 13 years ago #

Check your wp-config.php file. That contains a copy of the URL you are using, which must match what the database is using.

4. tdjcbe
    Posted 13 years ago #

Just had a thought and I'm not in a position to check. Isn;t the md5 keys that are in wp-config based on the site domain?

5. tmoorewp
    Posted 13 years ago #

tdjcbe: no, I don't believe so. At least, in the installs I've done, they are randomly generated and not tied to a domain.

6. coachctv
    Posted 13 years ago #

I've checked the wp-config file, and everything seems to be kosher. This is a particularly frustrating thing because I'm doing contract work and only have access to the dev server (everything is pushed to prod using an rsync script). I don't have access to the prod error logs (although I've asked for them and will hopefully get them soon).

This is particularly frustrating since I can't edit the file structure (plugins, mu-plugins) on prod, they're just done through the sync. It's confusing though because it works just fine in the dev environment, and should be matched exactly to the prod environemnt, right? Am I missing something?

Thanks a lot for your help so far. My head is about to explode.

7. tmoorewp
    Posted 13 years ago #

Yeah, it'd be good to see error logs and hear whether disabling plugins helps or not.

Also, in the wp-config, do the database details change between production and development? If the DB details or wrong or the user specified doesn't have full access to the DB, that could cause an issue.

8. coachctv
    Posted 13 years ago #

I'll hopefully have the error logs soon. For the rsync, I change:

define('DB_HOST',
    define('DOMAIN_CURRENT_SITE',

The username, dbname, and password are the same on both. It's very strange, because all of the other database stuff works, new posts, new users, old post, old users, etc.

9. coachctv
    Posted 13 years ago #

Maybe this might shed some light on this problem. Since the migration, two plugins in the mu-plugins folder don't seem to be working anymore either (post-indexer and recent-posts). I wonder if a.) it could involve the MD5 key, or b.) I missed something in the DB during migration.

10. teo7
    Posted 13 years ago #

I solved that increasing memory_limit

About this Topic