The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

new blogs won't go live (16 posts)

1. scandalous1
    Posted 14 years ago #

Hi!

Having an issue I hope someone can help me with. Install of WPmu went great - but whenever someone creates a blog, it never goes live - just a page not found error.

Is there a setting I'm missing?

Thanks!

2. versluis
    Posted 14 years ago #

I'm having the exact same problem -

neither new blogs nor their respective back ends exist. I'm sure it's something really silly we've overlooked...

3. versluis
    Posted 14 years ago #

Oh, I'm using the format blog.mydomain.com and Wildcards (*) are enabled in my DNS records.

4. SteveAtty
    Posted 14 years ago #

Are wildcards enabled in your Apache config?

5. tmoorewp
    Posted 14 years ago #

Also make sure that the Apache Rewrite module is enabled on your server and that an .htaccess file is being created.

6. versluis
    Posted 14 years ago #

Wilcards are enabled and .htaccess is created successfully.

I've even re-installed MU and tried using mysite.com/newblogs (instead of newblogs.mysite.com) - but to no avail.

Talk me through this like a three-year-old:
    I'm logged in as "admin" and my MU Frontpage works fine. So now I go to "Blogs" - "New Blog" - give it a name, use my email address (the one I used for my admin user). Presto I guess, the new blog should be available. But it isn't.

Am I missing a step? Do I need to activate it or something? Add other users? Give it an individual email address? Or should it work straight away?

7. andrea_r
    Posted 14 years ago #

It should work straight away. Can you give us a link to your site? Easier to troubleshoot that way. ;)

I've even re-installed MU and tried using mysite.com/newblogs (instead of newblogs.mysite.com) - but to no avail.

okay, when THIS doesn't work, it's a different issue.

Do your permalinks work off the main blog? Can you go to your about page? The default post?

8. david_tkw
    Posted 14 years ago #

andrea : my website is http://www.blogharian.com and i just created a new blog test.blogharian.com, it just a cgi-bin in monitor and blank. what should i do to make blog automatically?

9. versluis
    Posted 14 years ago #

Thanks andrea_r, yy site is http://boho.tv

I've started afresh (again, to be sure to be sure) and chose the blog.mysite.com variant.

Feel free to log in with "admin" and "mutester"

I've created two test blogs (test.boho.tv and test1.boho.tv), neither of which show up. Trying to login via /wp-admin gives me a "not found" error.

10. MikeRogers
    Posted 14 years ago #

I'm pretty much a newbie at WPMU, but I recall reading that blogs won't appear until they've been activated via the email link. I think some of mine didn't appear in the admin section ("My Blogs") until we'd done that.

Just something to check. I may be completely wrong on this, if so, please ignore.

11. versluis
    Posted 14 years ago #

Thanks for the tip. I don't get these activation emails though. All I get is a "new blog has been created" email.

The new blog shows up in my backend under Site Admin - Blogs, not neither option gets me anywhere. See here:

New Blog: http://newblog.boho.tv/
    Backend: http://newblog.boho.tv/wp-admin/

I've noticed that my /wp-content/blogs.dir directory is completely empty. Is that right? I'm expecting at least one directory for each new blog somewhere for uploads and the likes.

Are there database tables I can check to see if MU has actually put the right values in?

12. versluis
    Posted 14 years ago #

Sorry I didn't clarify this earlier:

Links to the main blog site's posts and pages work fine. Here's a link to a post on the main site:

http://boho.tv/2010/04/19/test-post-with-picture/

Also, I had another check into those activation emails:

I do receive them, if I create a blog using this link:
    http://boho.tv/wp-signup.php

When I then go to click on the activation link I get in that email, all I get is another 404 error. The other way of creating a blog is from within Site Admin - Blogs - Add Blog. That creates a new blog in the list there and then, but none of the links to it are working.

13. andrea_r
    Posted 14 years ago #

I'm expecting at least one directory for each new blog somewhere for uploads and the likes.

These only get created when someone actually uploads files.

You selected subdomain blogs - did you set up any wildcard records at all, like it said to in the readme, and on the install screen? :)

this is how the subdomain blogs work.

14. versluis
    Posted 14 years ago #

Yes wildcards are active (i.e. DNS record "*" is set up)

But then, subdorectory blogs don't work either - I've tried that as well.

15. Thildir
    Posted 14 years ago #

I also have the issue with 404.

My host is One.com and they claim that mod_rewrite is activated on their servers. I have a *.hamedia.se in my DNS table, and I get redirected to folders when i enter foldername.hamedia.se (if that helps), but the blogs aint working.

URL for WPMU is hamedia.se/wpmu

If anyone could help I'd appreciate it.

16. andrea_r
    Posted 14 years ago #

@versluis - the wildcard DNS needs *two* steps. When I plunk in a non-existant subdomain for your site, I should be redirected to the signup page.

I'm not. I'm directed to a 1&1 landing page, which means the server end is not set up correctly. Not the wildcard DNS, you mentioned that 3 times. I mean the wildcard subdomain record in Apache.

Subdirectory blogs work off mod_rewrite. Same as how permalinks are created.

About this Topic

• Started 14 years ago by scandalous1
  • Latest reply from andrea_r