The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

All kinds of problems - chmod 777 nightmare and so on... (10 posts)

1. kanuck564
    Posted 14 years ago #

Ok, I downloaded wpmu - no problem
    Made a db called wpmu_1 - no problem
    Installed wpmu in the / dir on my hosts server
    when I opened index_install.php it gave me the classic error :

"One or more of the directories must be made writeable by the webserver. You will be reminded to reset the permissions at the end of the install.
    Please chmod 777 directory-name or chown that directory to the user the web server runs as (usually nobody, apache, or www-data)
    Refresh this page when you're done!"

So...I changed all the permissions for every file to 777 - still no success

Thought it was the .htaccess files in the way so I copied them onto my computer. - still no joy

I have read a ton of forum entries and I haven't been able to solve this.

Did I do something wrong?
    Should I have put wpmu in the root of my server?
    Isn't Apache a virtual server using my own computer as the server? And do I have to do this if I already have a host provider (ipage.com)?

Some help please.

Thanks

Adam

2. andrea_r
    Posted 14 years ago #

"Please chmod 777 directory-name "

was the message. You chmod'ed the files, not the folder.

Please please please set the files all back to 644 before someone hacks your site.

Then chmod that *folder* long enough to install, then chod it back to 755.

"Isn't Apache a virtual server using my own computer as the server?"
    No. Do this on your webhost.

3. itryit
    Posted 14 years ago #

I have encountered the same issue; Please chmod 777 directory-name or chown that directory to the user the web server runs as (usually nobody, apache, or www-data).

I have confirmed that the folder is set to 777 and user is set to Apache. I've refreshed and loged/in/out. Refreshed.

Still no joy.

Moderator, please advise !

4. andrea_r
    Posted 14 years ago #

It said OR chown that directory. You'll have to find different combos that work. All MU needs is to be able to write the config file into that folder.

5. kanuck564
    Posted 14 years ago #

OK, i think maybe I'm just not getting it.

"chmod the directory-name"

I installed wpmu in the /root folder of my host server via firezilla.

Extracted it on my computer and transferred the wpmu files directly to the server root directory (not into a folder).

Am I to change the root directory of the hostserver to 777?

If so I have done this, and many other permission variations including changing every file and folder to 777 and still getting the same warning.

6. itryit
    Posted 14 years ago #

thanks for your reply, I appreciate the effort but it hasnt solved my issue. I've changed ownership (chown) to the available users and groups (apache, nobody). As you suggested, I've tried different combos. Still no luck.
    Seems that something else is the issue? Ideas welcome.

7. kanuck564
    Posted 14 years ago #

Getting closer :) I made a folder called wordpress and transferred all the extracted files into that folder instead of in the root dir. of my server, but...

Now I have a 500 error

I think the database host address is wrong.

8. kanuck564
    Posted 14 years ago #

DID IT!

Ok well I thought my database server was hostname like they all say to leave it as but it was actually the mysql database name

myusername.ipagemysql.com

which is found in your mysql db manager page.

Well, if you mess it up the first time and leave it as 'localhost' (like I did)then decide to navigate back in the browser to the installation page and enter the correct db hostname you will get a 500 internal server error.

This is because wpmu created a wp-config.php file with the 'bad' info on it.

What you need to do is make sure to delete the wp-config.php file NOT the wp-config-sample.php

After you delete the file go back and open the index-install.php again and enter the data in the fields correctly the FIRST time.

That's It!

Thanks Andrea for your help...there were a lot of growing pains.
    And I'm sure more to come. :)

9. eriklarson77
    Posted 13 years ago #

Kanuck564, I'm trying to get Ipage to work, I can't figure out what the database name and database host should be. I should also check which username and password to use. Your help would be much appreciated!

10. andrea_r
    Posted 13 years ago #

"which is found in your mysql db manager page."

If anything, your webhost will help you find where your databse is located & what the username/password it.

About this Topic

• Started 14 years ago by kanuck564
  • Latest reply from andrea_r