The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

blank screen for subdomains (9 posts)

1. falieson
    Posted 14 years ago #

Fresh install 2010/4/21
    Plugins: Buddypress, Welcome Pack
    Theme: Buddypress default
    I have tried disabling the theme/plugins but that didn't fix anything

So I registered a new user and a blog with the user, but when I try to go to the user's blog I get a blank screen.

I enabled WP_DEBUG but still had a blank screen.

cPanel -> subdomains
    Subdomains | Root Domain | Document Root | Redirection | Actions
    * | .foobar.com | /public_html | not redirected | Manage Redirection Remove

--
    Yes, I did look through the forums and the readme before posting here.

suggestions, ideas?

2. SteveAtty
    Posted 14 years ago #

Has that done both the Apache and DNS wildcards?

3. andrea_r
    Posted 14 years ago #

Check your error logs.

If you looked through the forums, then you probably saw that blank screen = errors and the first thing we do is tell people to look at their error logs.

But, since it's on new blogs, I'm gonna take a guess: did you leave the default kubrick theme in the default theme folder? If not - there's your error.

4. falieson
    Posted 14 years ago #

Check your error logs.

There is nothing in my error logs today. The final entry in the error log is

[21-Apr-2010 06:54:39] PHP Fatal error:  Call to undefined function  bp_page_title() in /home/falieson/public_html/ismynewworld.com/wp-content/plugins/buddypress/bp-themes/bp-default/header.php on line 9

Which I think I fixed already by uninstalling "buddypress contents".

But, since it's on new blogs, I'm gonna take a guess: did you leave the default kubrick theme in the default theme folder? If not - there's your error.

I have not changed anything in the themes directory, all I've done is enabled the default buddypress theme.

Seriously, this is a 100% barebones install with no changes other than adding buddypress and welcome-pack ontop of the WordPressMU install.

5. andrea_r
    Posted 14 years ago #

And you're using WPMU 2.9.2?

6. falieson
    Posted 14 years ago #

Well, as I figured it was a DNS problem. I talked to my host and he gave me a dedicated IP and added

* 14400 A <IP> to the DNS table

----
    So now it partially works? (I'm now working with an out-of-the-box install)

If I go to foo.bar.com it asks me if I want to register and create a blog for that domain. Great!

The problem:
    After registration, and activation, if I try to go to foo.bar.com I get a "Server Not Found" error. :-/

7. falieson
    Posted 14 years ago #

Chatted with my host for about an hour but finally they nailed down the DNS settings that were going wrong and it all works now.

So um.. not sure what to say fixed it.

Ciao

8. falieson
    Posted 14 years ago #

On a side note @andrea_r in other posts where you reference your ebook, it'd be great if you put a link to it! Also.. if you could reprint it with some higher res. graphics I would (and I'm sure others) appreciate it...
    Toodles and thanks again!

9. andrea_r
    Posted 14 years ago #

- I usually do, but I didn't mention it in this thread, so....

- note the version of MU i used in the book. while it is in sore need of an update, it will be obsolete in a month because WPMU is merging with Wordpress in 3.0.

About this Topic

• Started 14 years ago by falieson
  • Latest reply from andrea_r