The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

Users without blog have no profile? (18 posts)

1. solden
    Posted 17 years ago #

When a person adds an account without blog, confirms email and then tries to log in from the (in my test) main page, he gets a "You do not have sufficient permissions to access this page." message.
    Although this is not an error, as the user cannot enter the admin area of his non-existing blog, it might still be confusing. And also, he cannot change his details (like adding a capital to his name, as most usernames are in lowercase).

Well, just my thoughts.

2. drmike
    Posted 17 years ago #

I remember having this reported over in WP.com land and trying to convince Podz that it was an issue since one couldn't change one's password. Can't remember what every became of it.

3. mrjcleaver
    Posted 17 years ago #

For people without blogs their first experience is that they get an error message as soon as they sign in.

Is there a switch to disable the "only give me a username" option? At least that would keep people away from the error message while I figure out a proper solution.

4. Misera
    Posted 17 years ago #

you can just comment out

<input id="signupuser" type="radio" name="signup_for" value="user" />
    <label for="signupuser"><?php _e('Just a username, please.') ?></label>

for the time being.. in wp-signup.php so that it doesn't appear in the signup page

5. drmike
    Posted 17 years ago #

That's how WP.com ran for quite sometime. The major reason why it was done I think was that's also how one gets a Akismet key.

6. suburbia
    Posted 17 years ago #

Did anyone get a resolution to this? I have this same problem with my new blog... can't seem to find any answers to fix it...

7. GGravett
    Posted 17 years ago #

Subscribers can only access there profile from the blog the singed up with.

8. nwp
    Posted 17 years ago #

I have a temporary "fix" for this issue -- basically it will send non-blogging users to the site home page where it would previously have sent them to the error message. I don't have anywhere handy to put it at the moment though. Happy to put it somewhere if anyone can suggest a good spot though.

9. andrea_r
    Posted 17 years ago #

wpmudev.org
    wpmuwiki.org

Either/or.

10. dubaidan
    Posted 17 years ago #

I agree, this is a confusing message and a redirect is better than nothing.

'nwp' did you post you temporary fix?

11. nwp
    Posted 17 years ago #

12. lunabyte
    Posted 17 years ago #

I'm surprised this issue isn't on the trac. A generic user should at least be able to change their password.

13. hempsworth
    Posted 17 years ago #

Did anything become of this?

I really need users without a blog to be able to edit their profile for my new site to function properly.

14. lunabyte
    Posted 17 years ago #

There's a hack floating around that adds users that just get a username to the main blog (as subscribers).

As a note WordPress.com adds them to a blog they call dashboard, vice adding them to the main blog.

15. hempsworth
    Posted 17 years ago #

I found this here: http://mu.wordpress.org/forums/topic.php?id=2292&replies=20

OPEN:

wp-includes/registration.php

FIND:

function wp_insert_user($userdata) {

FURTHER DOWN, FIND:

if ( $update )
    do_action('profile_update', $user_id);
    else
    do_action('user_register', $user_id);

AFTER, ADD:

add_user_to_blog('X', $user_id, 'XXroleXX');

Where:

X = The Blog ID you want to add the user to
    XXroleXX = The role for the user 

What would the X and XXroleXX shown above be for the main blog, and user level "subscriber"?

Thanks

16. drmike
    Posted 17 years ago #

Donncha put this in the code awhile back:

http://trac.mu.wordpress.org/changeset/924

17. hempsworth
    Posted 17 years ago #

Thanks. BTW, how buggy is the latest trac version of MU?
    Worth trying out?

18. drmike
    Posted 17 years ago #

Considering it's right after the version release, it's not too buggy. I do keep an eye on what's being reported for as tickets though.

About this Topic