The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

IRC channel #wpmu on freenode.net (23 posts)

1. mrjcleaver
    Posted 17 years ago #

Hi,
    Just to ensure people know: there's an IRC channel dedicated to wpmu. Its #wpmu on freenode.net

One easy to use IRC client program is http://gaim.sourceforge.net/

Its useful because people can answer your question more quickly and interactively, so I favour asking there first, and only if no answer to post questions here.

The channel is logged.

Regards,
    Martin.

2. mrjcleaver
    Posted 17 years ago #

3. drmike
    Posted 17 years ago #

Actually searching first would be best since probably the question has already been asked and answered.

4. mrjcleaver
    Posted 17 years ago #

Searching is fine if you know what terms you should be searching for. When you lack the context to think of the right terms its quickest to ask again.

A responsible community citizen would, after finding an answer, create a posting that leads others to find what you were looking for. If they were using a wiki they'd create pathways so that people could click through from the relevant places to the topic containing the answer.

The search at wp is seemingly quite broken. e.g.
    http://wordpress.org/search/wpmu+irc+channel?documentation=1&forums=1&blogs=1&bugs=1
    should find http://codex.wordpress.org/WPMU_IRC_Channel but it doesn't. (And if it can be out of date because it uses a background indexing job then it should say so.)

I created the topic at codex because the morass of forum postings is really not easily navigable.

Maybe when the key WP people start using wpmu they will consider fixing the wpmu search box. If they don't ever use it then who knows how long it will be broken.

5. andrea_r
    Posted 17 years ago #

"Maybe when the key WP people start using wpmu they will consider fixing the wpmu search box."

uh... the key people from WP *do* actually use MU - over at wp.COM. Or at least a version of it.

" If they don't ever use it then who knows how long it will be broken."

Donncha explained why here. Note the post is a sticky as well.

6. mrjcleaver
    Posted 17 years ago #

Ok, I appreciate that they use mu, but do they use these forums?

I saw the explanation (that the template is shared) yet surely it can be fixed so that it works?

7. andrea_r
    Posted 17 years ago #

As for why the search at the regualr forums doesn't seem to work, read this thread. Note it is over a year old.

And yes, developers are there all the time. Developers are here too. Might not see them posting, as they are usually developing (one would think) but they do read along and are aware of issues.

Could be they feel it is not as big an issue as others do. We've been bitching about the search button up top for literally *months*.

8. drmike
    Posted 17 years ago #

Donncha said somewhere that the header is shared between mu.wp.org and wp.org so that the search box can't be changed.

*chuckle* Took about 3 months to just get a search box over at the wp.com forums. :)

9. mrjcleaver
    Posted 17 years ago #

Surely the header can include a file determined by the sitename? i.e. include($sitename.'header.php') or somesuch?

That way wp can have its search and wpmu can have its own.

I'm sure the powers-that-be are quite capable.

10. andrea_r
    Posted 17 years ago #

Capable yes, but also quite busy and I'm sure this is very low priority on a list of thousands of items.

11. mrjcleaver
    Posted 17 years ago #

I agree its quite apparent that it is low on their priority list.

Everyone is busy. A small change to that template by a key person would make other's lives a lot easier. Those other people are less likely to ask stupid questions if the search is effective.

Yes, from the home page of the forum you can click twice to get to a search box that works. That's three clicks for anyone on any other page. The whole point of putting a search box on every page is to make searching easy.

I'm sorry if I sound like I am wingeing. I just think it would be good for everyone in the community if newcomers can readily search for old answers rather than having to ask new questions each time.

http://wordpress.org/support/topic/34781/page/2?replies=49

12. mrjcleaver
    Posted 17 years ago #

Incidently, although this thread has gone way off topic re: "IRC channel", there's no way to cut the meander of this conversation into a topic of its own. (And yes, I just made it worse!)

13. mrjcleaver
    Posted 17 years ago #

Just a reminder that this exists... This should be a sticky topic...

On IRC you can talk to people in real-time...

14. mrjcleaver
    Posted 16 years ago #

Just a reminder that this exists... This should be a sticky topic... we've had some good conversations today.

15. andrewbillits
    Posted 16 years ago #

I'm not a big IRC person but if you think it would be worth it, i'll promote it a bit on wpmudev?

16. lunabyte
    Posted 16 years ago #

Not an IRC fan either, really.

17. mrjcleaver
    Posted 16 years ago #

IRC is especially good when you want help explaining something for putting into a page, or if you need someone to help you diagnose.

Maybe a link along the top bar at wpmudev?

Thanks, M.

18. andrewbillits
    Posted 16 years ago #

Sure thing, i'll see if I can squeeze it into the "Need Help?" box in the footer as well.

19. andrewbillits
    Posted 16 years ago #

I'm also going to create the page wpmudev.org/irc.php.

If someone would like to write some content (text) for the page and send it to me at andrew AT wpmudev.org, i'd greatly appreciate it.

Basically i'd like the page to have a brief overview of IRC and a few links to some user friendly clients.

20. mrjcleaver
    Posted 16 years ago #

Sure thing. How about you snarf the text that I wrote on http://twiki.org/cgi-bin/view/Codev/TWikiIRC ?

Thanks, Martin.

21. andrewbillits
    Posted 16 years ago #

How's this?

If all is good i'll place it on the menu and in the footer.

Edit: the image is not hotlinked btw ;)

22. mrjcleaver
    Posted 16 years ago #

Lovely ;)

Thanks Andrew.

23. andrewbillits
    Posted 16 years ago #

Done :)

About this Topic

• Started 17 years ago by mrjcleaver
  • Latest reply from andrewbillits