The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

Benchmarks, stress testing results (4 posts)

1. stefanbg
    Posted 13 years ago #

Hello,

I wonder if anybody has done some stress testing on MU.
    Your suggestions regarding the following case would be more of appreciated.
    The case is the following.
    - 8 core, 32gb ram.
    - Apache 2, mySQL 5 and PHP5
    - A small amount of plug-ins are installed, just the most necessary.
    - 500k unique posts (article pages) requests per hour in 50 blogs.
    - Media content (images) is relatively small, around 5%.
    - Articles are a paragraph long and have additional 5 custom fields.
    - Commenting is allowed for not registered users and is done by most users.
    - On pages there are no widgets or similar post previews or etc.

What do you think would be the performance of the site with no application optimization, with only application optimization and with application and server optimization?

I am asking the question in such a way, because I need to plan my initial scalability strategy before I can find somebody with more experience with MU to help me out with constant improvements.

While I went trough the forum, maybe for my case it would be enough to put a caching plug-in, but still I would appreciate if somebody could confirm it.

10x

2. tdjcbe
    Posted 13 years ago #

Without knowing the details of the server (ie processor, motherboard, bus speeds, etc) it's kind of hard to judge. WPMu has more load concerns with data transfer than anything else. I run a pair of 8 core 192 gig boxes as our spam solution with a third behind them as a rsync database box. They load all of their data into memory and never (well nearly never) touch the hard drive. That's the only way they can keep up.

Also without knowing what specific plugins you;re looking at, it;s also hard to judge. Some create different loads than others.

Gotta admit though I would be using something besides Apache like Nginx though. Apache is not that well optimized as it;s more for general usage.

Gotta admit though that if you;re looking at 500k page views an hour (at least that's what I'm thinking you;re saying.) a single server isn't going to work for you. I'd be offloading to at least 3 if not more. The server you list may work better as a database server.

3. andrea_r
    Posted 13 years ago #

Uh, that many users hitting it per hour and most of 'em will comment? What are you working for, Facebook? ;)

Caching, yes.
    Nginx, oh hell yes.

In all seriousness, if you're looking to be that big, hit up Automattic support.

4. stefanbg
    Posted 13 years ago #

10x friends,
    I shall post here a link what is it actually about, but for now it is still very very early.

I got the picture! I need to work on scalability from day zero otherwise on day two it will be more than late! And maybe talk to Automattic support.

@andrea_r
    Exactly Facebook ;)

About this Topic

• Started 13 years ago by stefanbg
  • Latest reply from stefanbg