The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

http://trac.mu.wordpress.org/ needs configuring to support WP development (4 posts)

1. mrjcleaver
    Posted 17 years ago #

Our use of trac doesn't lead to optimal use:

3) the severity/priority fields are not used consistently 4) there's a lack of fields stating - a) how much effort would be required b) what else would be impacted c) whether people would be willing to sponsor financially d) the type of bug (e.g. ui) 5) the fields that are there have no definition, like at what point does something become 'critical' 6) there is also the need for an impacts mechanism, like "impacts: UI, Security"

I asked on #trac:

(08:40:48) MartinCleaver: can the fields in trac be customised without coding, e.g. where it says "Type: Priority: Milestone: ", I want an Impacts: (checkboxes) UI, Security
    (08:41:02) MartinCleaver: added to the existing set
    (08:41:16) alect: yes, it's in the manual
    (08:42:45) MartinCleaver: ok, thanks alect

If there are key people close to the development project core, can they be given at least some control over the development process?

In TWiki this is the TWikiCommunityGroup - they have elevated privileges over newcomers, including changes to the bug tracking frameworks and access to submit to SVN.

2. drmike
    Posted 17 years ago #

I know when I use our tracking system for issues (I use Cerberus which is nothing like trac) I usually ignore that stuff since I feel it's more for the developers to do their own tracking and whatnot. Plus what someone might call critical really isn't.

I more have an issue with folks closing tickets that shouldn't be closed.

I also don't like how you have to dig into a ticket to see if it's been updated. I would have thought that some notice would be placed on the Timeline page but that doesn't occur. I noticed yesterday a ticket closed by Donncha that I still consider open.

3. mrjcleaver
    Posted 17 years ago #

> what someone might call critical really isn't.

This depends on having a specific description that the ticket can be measured against.

> I more have an issue with folks closing tickets that shouldn't be closed.

Again, having solid wording near the close button helps.

> I also don't like how you have to dig into a ticket to see if it's been updated.

Does trac not let us sort by last updated?

----

I wanted in particular to add a flag saying 'patch waiting'.

Who has access to change the config of trac?

4. mrjcleaver
    Posted 17 years ago #

(bump)

About this Topic

• Started 17 years ago by mrjcleaver
  • Latest reply from mrjcleaver