The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

Wordpress MU Sign Up Not Working? (10 posts)

1. vuedoolor
    Posted 13 years ago #

I am trying to sign up to some wordpress mu blog to get a blog but everytime I put in a username and email address it says:

Sorry, that email address is not allowed!

It doesn't matter what type of email address I put in I still get the same error message. Anybody know what I can do? I've tried to registered to various wordpress mu but I get the same error message on all of them.

2. andrea_r
    Posted 13 years ago #

What the domain you have your email at?

If you're signing up at other people's sites, they have the ability to specify which email address domains they will allow. If yours is common to spammers (something.info, for example) they it's probably banned.

3. vuedoolor
    Posted 13 years ago #

I have tried every email under the sun but still can't sing up. I have tried signing up at tons of different wordpress mu and get same thing every time. It's like wordpress mu sign up just doesn't work or is disable everywhere

4. Deadpan110
    Posted 13 years ago #

Our current WPMU has had registration disabled and used a temporary redirect just to be on the safe side... (we were attacked by sploggers and closed the door)...

Just opened it all again, and it will not let me register with _any_ email address.

Sorry, that email address is not allowed!

I have double checked the site admin settings in WPMU2.9.2 and all is OK.

I have also installed WP3.0 as to test our upgrade procedure, there are as of yet no plugins, mu-plugins or themes apart from the default and registration still will not allow any email address!

(The WP3.0 was set up to use a copy of our current 2.9.2 database)

I can only guess that back in time somewhere an update had missed something (although I have not tested on a standard WP3.0 fresh install yet).

I will test that later - but for the time being - it seems like a very very strong security measure (heh)... we have not used the registration for at least 8 months so we have no idea when the problem may have started and have always used our admin pages to add new users.

5. Deadpan110
    Posted 13 years ago #

Update: registration started accepting email addresses again although no email conformation was sent out (not even in my spam boxes or left on the server)...

I have no idea why but may have been due to changing the registration option and back again and saving but the same process did not work on WP3.0(ms).

Both are set for 'User accounts may be registered.'

6. andrea_r
    Posted 13 years ago #

Check the allowed email addresses options. Make sure it's empty.

7. Deadpan110
    Posted 13 years ago #

I almost forgot to report back...
    Initially I thought it was a bug, but I have since found the emails in dead.letter - so to others with email problems (of which I read many) - check your sendmail config (or whatever your php uses for outgoing mail).

My problem was testing with sometestname@mydomain.tld and as mydomain.tld is local, the mail went no further and ended up dead...

I know this has gotten a little off topic - but I would also Like to add that our live site upgraded from WPMU to WP3.0 RC1 (ms) today and the only real problem we had was discovering prefix_1_tablename was no longer the 1st blog, a simple renaming of all the prefix_1_tables to prefix_tables fixed the main blog *ahem - network site*... just a few lil glitches here n there with 3rd party plugins and a little of our own code... but all seems great!

8. andrea_r
    Posted 13 years ago #

Not sure what you did with the upgrade, but it is NOT supposed to rename tables like that.

We've been testing the upgrade process here. For *single* wp installs, the main blog will not have the wp_1_tablename.

For upgraded MU installs, they should KEEP the db numbers in the tables.

9. Deadpan110
    Posted 13 years ago #

Confirmed...
    Tested locally and an upgrade does not cause table numbers to change.

I added "define( 'MULTISITE', true );" to the config _after_ upgrading because I thought it was required and I now assume that it caused the 1st network site (wp_1_tablename) to be treated as if I had done a single WP install with no other sites and then added ms functionality after and as such, the main blog would be wp_tablename (I have not tested to see if that is the case tho).

I think I will have to double check and switch this back at some point - but for now it seems to be working.

And again I know the above and all of this is off topic... but I am guessing others will possibly do the same as I have done and hopefully see the comments here after searching the net etc...

I am usually a pretty good wpmu site/network admin/coder and I guess the excitement of the new WP3.0 got the better of me...

Our users seem to be loving the new install and we have had no more probs with the core... (is Matt gunna bother with a RC2? - heh)

So yeah, for others that may stumble on this... WPMU upgrade process...
    unzip/replace your WPMU core with WP 3.0 ...log in to wp-admin AND only do what it advises... it works outta the box!

10. andrea_r
    Posted 13 years ago #

I think I'm gonna bold your last line. :D

For other searchers: if you are on WPMU right now, the auto-upgrade will kick in when 3.0 is released and it WILL upgrade you to 3.0 properly. Been testing it all weekend.

About this Topic

• Started 13 years ago by vuedoolor
  • Latest reply from andrea_r