The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

Renaming Subdomains (4 posts)

1. wayman
    Posted 13 years ago #

Hello,

I need to rename the subdomain of a blog from adv.karellgroup.com to africa.karellgroup.com

We've spent a lot of time developing the site, so I want to make sure we can do this change without losing all of the content and deign there. adv.karellgroup.com.

I could do a mod rewrite, but it looks like I should be able to make a real namechange, not just a redirect.

Any thoughts on how to go about this. I saw a few places to change the domain in the edit tab of WPmu, but I imagine the datatable has be edited also.

Thoughts?

2. andrea_r
    Posted 13 years ago #

The edit tab shows you the database tables specific to that blog.

Your best bet is to do a search & replace in the db itself.

3. wayman
    Posted 13 years ago #

I didn't even have to get into the database. I just did the url changes on the backend and voila.

But now I have a second problem. There were a lot of hard coded links where adv.karellgroup.com now needs to be redirected to africa.karellgroup.com

I haven't been able to find a working rewrite rule. I think it's because WPmu treats these subdomains differently. I need all "adv." to be interpreted as "africa."

4. andrea_r
    Posted 13 years ago #

that's why I sad do it in the database so you could change those links and not bog down the system with another rewrite rule (which won't rewrite urls embeded in posts anyway).

About this Topic