The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

blogs.dir and subdirectory (7 posts)

1. leahs2
    Posted 13 years ago #

Hello - I have a few questions on WPMU.

1. is the "blogs.dir directory" that is supposed to be created under wp-content - a folder?

2. I am using a subdirectory. The wordpress files are currently under mysite.com/wordpress. With MU enabled, is it possible to keep the wordpress files stored there and change the address to mysite.com?

3. I created a new blog subdirectory as mysite.com/wordpress/test and it says the link is broken. Any suggestions?

Thanks! Sorry these are probably silly questions, I'm new to this!

2. leahs2
    Posted 13 years ago #

This is all for trying to make the multiple site option work for WP 3.0...

3. tdjcbe
    Posted 13 years ago #

1) No, you have to create the subdirectory. Make sure you check the ownership of the directory so that it is accessible by the webserver. (Get with your webhost if you need help with that.)

In case you haven't read it:

http://codex.wordpress.org/Create_A_Network

2) No, WPMu (for lack of a better term) has to be within root. You can not give it it;s own subdirectory. See the link up above.

3) That's why you can't install it within a subdirectory.

4. andrea_r
    Posted 13 years ago #

1. is the "blogs.dir directory" that is supposed to be created under wp-content - a folder?

Yes. Directory = folder.

2. I am using a subdirectory. The wordpress files are currently under mysite.com/wordpress. With MU enabled, is it possible to keep the wordpress files stored there and change the address to mysite.com?

No. You will have the /wordpress/ in the blog addresses.

3. I created a new blog subdirectory as mysite.com/wordpress/test and it says the link is broken. Any suggestions?

Did you paste in the new htaccess rules? Is mod_rewrite running on the server? If so, it's not reading the file.

5. leahs2
    Posted 13 years ago #

Thank you! Turns out I did not save the .htaccess file correctly. I did a super work-around way to do it correctly and it does now work.

What's the best way to create an .htaccess file? I had tried doing it in a text editor. I called it 1.htaccess and it uploaded to the server as 1.htaccess.rtf. So I renamed it on the server as .htaccess. But when I went to look at it later, it had been renamed "1." So that didn't work.

The way that worked was I downloaded a .htaccess file for another website in Dreamweaver, deleted that info, pasted in the WP info, and uploaded it to my WP site. Seemed a bit funky. Is there a better way to do this in the future?

Thanks!
    Leah

6. andrea_r
    Posted 13 years ago #

Don;t make it an rtf file, make it a htaccess.txt. then rename it to .htaccess on the server.

7. leahs2
    Posted 13 years ago #

Thanks andrea_r!!

About this Topic