The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

Preventing Splogging (14 posts)

1. Farms
    Posted 18 years ago #

Somethin that those of us not using the invite only mecahnism to get people started using WPMU (i.e. http://edublogs.org) would be keen to see developed is some sort of way to combat spam blogs being created on their site.

I haven't had this myself but it's probably just a matter of time... I guess there are two main issues to deal with:

-automated registraion (captcha or a rego moderation option might work here?)
    -registration by human, use as spam (which I guess is a Blogger trait) where I figure using existing WP plugins to identify posting by machine as opposed to posting by human?

Not a great problem if you've got, say, 100 blogs... but we've got 787 at the moment and growing (in about a month!)

What do other people think?

Cheers, James

2. andrewbillits
    Posted 18 years ago #

Just slip in a simple image verify to keep the bots from registering. As for the human registered blogs, maybe we should look into create a spam filter for wpmu.

just a thought

3. lucid1
    Inactive
    Posted 18 years ago #

yes a ....

4. andrewbillits
    Posted 18 years ago #

sorry for not being geeky enough to know what "captcha" meant...

5. Farms
    Posted 18 years ago #

Yes, that's OK but not the greatest of solutions if you're looking at accessibility, I s'pose there could always be a personal registration option... I like the idea of also having the option to do admin approvcal of new blogs (for smaller projects...)

6. donncha
    Key Master
    Posted 18 years ago #

The registration forms use wp-hashcash which should protect you from automatic registration of spam sites. There's absolutely nothing we can do to prevent a human registering though. :(

7. comforteaglespaceman
    Inactive
    Posted 18 years ago #

Can we restrict access from emails ending in @dodgeit etc?

8. redwolf
    Inactive
    Posted 18 years ago #

Would a WP plugin such as WP AuthImage work with MU?

9. jaseone
    Inactive
    Posted 18 years ago #

It would be good if a blog wasn't created fully until the user confirmed it through their welcome email.

Does the "anayone can register?" option extend to creating new blogs? If not then there should be an option for that as well.

10. mspecht
    Posted 18 years ago #

I know there are wp plugins that put an image in the comments posting form, is it easy enough to do it on wpmu for registration?

11. Frequent
    Posted 18 years ago #

Did anyone find or develop a working captcha plugin?

I am having problems with the invite system here at
    DakotaBlogs.com.

I'd prefer to use the invite system but if I can't get the url that appears in the invite email corrected I will need to investigate other options.

Thanks,

Freq---

12. Farms
    Posted 18 years ago #

Nope, nothing yet.

I'm having a few splogs getting along but as the flow is about 20odd blogs a day I can manually edit them out.

I'm sure it wouldn't be that hard to extend bad behaviour or something to cover the newblog.php form... would it?

Cheers, James

13. Frequent
    Posted 18 years ago #

Farms,

You wouldn't have any suggestions regarding where I should look to change the url that is automatically generated in the invite email?

Please see this post for details:

Invite Email Problem

Any help would be appreciated.

Freq---

14. Farms
    Posted 18 years ago #

Hi Freq

I haven't gone near the invites function yet - although it's on the cards.

If you do find the file you could try taking the code from newblog.php and using it there... possibly...

About this Topic