The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

Using widgets in MU? (14 posts)

1. kennibc
    Posted 17 years ago #

How do I activate widgets in WPMU? I have seen this working with a WP install, but do now know how to set it up with MU.

We are currently using the RC4 package.

2. mrball
    Posted 17 years ago #

3. drmike
    Posted 17 years ago #

We really need to stop forwarding folks on to that thread as it's not called for. All it's doing is creating another call for the PHP processor over and over again.

Follow the instructions for Widgets but with two differences. Install it to the mu-plugins subdirectory and move the widget.php file (along with any of the extra widgets that come with the download that you want to use) up a level into the mu-plugins subdirectory. Your unzipped mu-plugins/widget directory should now be empty. And if it's not, you may have skipped a step in the Widgets instructions.

You may want to search for widgets as this subject has been discussed many times over in the past.

Hope this helps,
    -drmike

4. mrball
    Posted 17 years ago #

sorry, wasn't aware

5. mrjcleaver
    Posted 17 years ago #

We shouldn't berate anyone for answering: they are trying to help.

The scattered nature of these forums is to blame: the only way to navigate here is to search, yet searching returns many duplicate entries and there is no way to tidy up.

I'll update the http://codex.wordpress.org/WPMU_Widgets page when I next get time. Of course, if mrball or anyone else would like to put it up then this would serve all the community.

6. mrball
    Posted 17 years ago #

yep, i've been berated

still think my way's the better way though ;)

7. matrixmonkey
    Posted 17 years ago #

Ive not had any issues with widgets not working
    just slap it in mu-plug ins no gr8 science to it

8. twtnyc
    Posted 17 years ago #

hi, i'm a newbie to worpress and specifically mu - none of my widets show in the plug-in area when they're in the mu-plugin directory,

however they show in the admin panel when i place them in the
    plugin directory

i can activate them BUT when I go to edit them i get the error page
    'The plugin editor is disabled'

even though in the admin panel i have checked the enable plug-in box

so i can't tell where the widgets show up on the blog or what to do with them to adminsiter them

anyone have this probelm?

9. andrea_r
    Posted 17 years ago #

"none of my widets show in the plug-in area when they're in the mu-plugin directory,"

They are not supposed to. Plugins in the MU-plugins folder do not appear in the plugins list in the backend, because they are automatically activated.

When they are in the MU directory or not, the way to *use* them is to have a widget'enabled theme (please make sure you do) and then you will see the widget sub-menu under Presentation, when a widget-enabled theme is *active*.

10. boetter
    Posted 17 years ago #

I followed the instructions to install in /mu-plugins/ but I don't see the Widgets tab under Presentation? The theme is the default Kubrick theme shipped with my WPMU 1.0.

What to do?

11. andrea_r
    Posted 17 years ago #

Get a widget-enabled theme. The default one in MU is not enabled for widgets. (I don't think the ones in the regualr WP are either.)

The widget plugin also comes with updated widgetized files for the two default themes. Find them, and put them in the right place.

12. boetter
    Posted 17 years ago #

That worked, thanks andrea_r!

13. KKWangen
    Posted 17 years ago #

I've bundled up the basic widgets to for WPMU today:
    http://kzkw.net/wordpressmu/2006/12/01/widgets-for-wordpressmu/

It's just to unzip and upload, I've included the functions and sidebars for the two default themes as well.

14. KKWangen
    Posted 17 years ago #

I've added it to WPMUDEV.org today, as I don't at least mess up with that site..

http://wpmudevorg.wordpress.com/project/Widgets-MU

About this Topic

• Started 17 years ago by kennibc
  • Latest reply from KKWangen