The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

Anyone uses WP-ShortStat on mu? (47 posts)

1. selad
    Posted 17 years ago #

Anyone uses WP-ShortStat on mu?
    http://blog.happyarts.de/wp-shortstat/

2. selad
    Posted 17 years ago #

It works fine if I place it under the plugins directory but when placed in mu-plugins there is an error that the database tables are missing.

Any idea?

3. drmike
    Posted 17 years ago #

That's the one I use on my site. I just added the database tables to the blog creation routein in wp-includes/wpmu-functions.php (I think that's the file name. It's been awhile)

4. selad
    Posted 17 years ago #

drmike,
    I could not find the table creation point in wp-includes/wpmu-functions.php. Can you please point me to the right direction?

5. selad
    Posted 17 years ago #

I think I found the way without changing any core files.
    In the plugin file, find the line:
    if (isset($_GET['activate']) && $_GET['activate'] == 'true')

Just delete or comment it. Put the file in mu-plugins and thats it - everything seems to be working. You will find the ShortStat tab under the dashboard.

6. boetter
    Posted 17 years ago #

selad:

I get this error when accessing ShortStat from Dashboard:

Fatal error: Cannot access empty property in [DELETED_PATH]/wp-content/mu-plugins/wp-shortstat.php on line 771

I am using Wordpress Mu 1.0.

7. selad
    Posted 17 years ago #

boetter,
    Do you get this error on every blog or is it on the admin one?
    I'm still on RC4 and will upgrade soon.
    Here is a link to the file I use, please try it:
    http://www.ringofblogs.com/wp-shortstat.phps
    Just remove the extra 's'.

8. selad
    Posted 17 years ago #

Just tested it on version 1.0 and works just fine.

9. drmike
    Posted 17 years ago #

selad, maybe wpmu_create_blog?

10. selad
    Posted 17 years ago #

drmike, I'm using wpmu_new_blog.

11. selad
    Posted 17 years ago #

I had to make two changes in the original shortstat plugin to make it work for both new and old blogs. Download it here:
    http://www.ringofblogs.com/wp-shortstat.phps

For changes search the code for: wpmu

12. mrjcleaver
    Posted 17 years ago #

Thanks for this...

I put it into mu-plugins. Any idea why I got the error:?

Table 'blogname.wp_1_ss_stats' doesn't exist

13. mrjcleaver
    Posted 17 years ago #

Ok. If you add a call to setup() from trace() then it will create the tables if they don't already exist. (it uses maybe_create() so it does no harm.)

14. mrjcleaver
    Posted 17 years ago #

15. selad
    Posted 17 years ago #

mrjcleaver,

1) There is no trace() function in shortstat. I placed the setup function call in wp_shortstat_display_stats and got no error.

2) Yes, I get the same URL. Should be changed!

16. boetter
    Posted 17 years ago #

Looking forward to the new changes, once they have been made, I'll give it a new try!

17. abhic
    Posted 17 years ago #

I have to use this under plugings and not mu-plugins.

If I do a system wide install under mu-plugins, then each of the user blogs show errors.

I even checked to see if setup() was called or not under wp_shortstat_display_stats and it is, but I am still getting db errors. Any ideas?

18. benihux
    Posted 17 years ago #

I used this plugin but after the users activate it, the website and all the blogs that had this plugin installed, worked very very slowly. I had to remove the plugin. :(
    Any ideas about his?

19. Farms2
    Posted 17 years ago #

I'm concerned about the load it might put on the server too - anyone know any more details about this?

For the moment I'm sticking with the Google Analytics plugin.

20. suleiman
    Posted 17 years ago #

is anyone using firestats? I'm using it on my site and it seems to work great! Users have an option of enabling or disabling it on the back-end.

I haven't noticed any real degredation in speed, but then again, my domain has always been running a little slowly.

21. Ovidiu
    Posted 17 years ago #

I am using it too, though still in testing, I mean I only have test blogs setup until now so now one is complaining :-)

does not seem to use up too much space, too

22. blogcity
    Posted 17 years ago #

Ive placed ShortStats in my plugins folder, just so that it can be global for now. I plan on moving this to the mu-plugin folder shortly and then having more control however,

If I view DASHBOARD >> SHORTSTATS .. Only "last week" shows up, all the other blocks are there with their headers but just blank white blocks such as "Last Resource" "Last Keywords" etc etc.

How long does it take after activating the plugin for things to start functioning? Is it realtime or delayed and if so, by how much?

At this rate I cannot tell if things are broken or if I should wait for stats to generate and if these white blocks will fill up.

23. drmike
    Posted 17 years ago #

It's real time but if folks haven't visited your blog via the search engines, those will populate.

Log out and do some searching. :)

24. blogcity
    Posted 17 years ago #

Ahh great.. just did some testing and I've noticed things starting to come alive, this is excellent, thanks drmike :)

I notice people speaking about "firestats" - if one is looking for some pretty graphics/graphs in terms of stats, what would be the better stats plugin to go for. The letter looking, the happier the user is gonna be I guess. Perhaps one can run both at the same time or is this silly?

25. Ovidiu
    Posted 17 years ago #

I got the latest version linked in this post working from the mu-plugins folder, and it works but 1 problem is still persisting:

if I visit a blogs frontpage without first visiting his shortstats page from the backend, I get an error that a certain shortstat table does not exist.

It seems the tables are only created for each blog when the blogowner first visits his shortstat backend page.

can we somehow avoid this?

26. blogcity
    Posted 17 years ago #

hmm.. now that ive moved the plugin to the mu-plugins folder, it does not show up on any of the "plugins" list, including that of the admin and any blog?

it does however show up in my dashboard, im not too sure if it will show up automatically for new users however, the concern here is why does it not show up in any plugins section and allow one to 'activate' or 'deactivate'

i was getting a whole bunch of errors in my admin dashboard so I did the fix as above by commenting out the line:

"if (isset($_GET['activate']) && $_GET['activate'] == 'true')"

(in the plugin itself)

and this made it work in my admin panel.

any ideas?

27. Ovidiu
    Posted 17 years ago #

1. plugins in mu-plugins are automatically activated for all blogs and do not show up in any list, except their backend part if any.
    2. I got the latest version posted by selad above and it works except for the little annoyance I listed above, that it gives one error on the frontpage if you visit the frontpage before the backend section of shortstat.

=> you might want to do a search in the forum for plugins and mu-plugins to learn what the difference is.

28. drmike
    Posted 17 years ago #

I'm actually loading the database creation tables in upon blog creation. I posted about it a few days ago. Do a search for install_blog, the function where I'm doing it.

29. Ovidiu
    Posted 17 years ago #

thx I found it.

will play with it later

30. Farms2
    Posted 17 years ago #

On this topic, has anyone with larger installs found that the inbuilt stats problems can really drag the site speed down?

I played with both of the above and, anecdotally, things seemed to lag a lot.

Not a huge problem as I just provide the analytics plugin - but annoying if you want to replicate nice in house wp.com stats effects - which I wouldn't mind :)

Am I just being para or are my fears grounded in reality?

About this Topic