The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

wpmudev.org (21 posts)

1. andrewbillits
    Posted 17 years ago #

wpmudev has been getting about 20-25 signups a week over the last several weeks so I figured it might be time to ask you guys if anything needs to be fixed, added, etc.

Basically if you know of a bug or think a feature is missing, just let me know.

I'm also adding a feedback page this weekend so this should be the last time I have to use the support forums to discuss wpmudev.

2. andrea_r
    Posted 17 years ago #

Clear instructions on how to post and add your file. :) Maybe it's just me though, I didn't want to post something wrong and not get the plugin stuck with the post.

3. boetter
    Posted 17 years ago #

How about wiki pages for How-tos?

Also a lot more content would be appreciated :-)

4. andrewbillits
    Posted 17 years ago #

I'll add a few FAQs explaining how to add files, create projects, etc. :)

As for the "content", I can't really control the amount of content people contribute. While I do have a few plugins on wpmudev, 90% of the plugins and patches are contributed by other members of the wpmu community.

5. mrjcleaver
    Posted 17 years ago #

How to share write-access to a project, please.

6. mrjcleaver
    Posted 17 years ago #

My previous thoughts are on http://codex.wordpress.org/WPMUDEV.org

7. andrewbillits
    Posted 17 years ago #

mrjcleaver,

1) I've been working on a new comment system for a few weeks so that issue should be resolved soon.

2) As for the site being more like a wiki. Other than users being able to delete their own comments, that will never happen. I may add a section for "how-tos" though.

3) About the filename and content of uploaded files. I may someday implement a version based system but it seems to be working as is.

4) The random number in each filename is actually the ID of that file in the WPMUDEV database. The reason for this is that the system actually serves files from two different servers and needs a way to keep track of each file.

5) About sharing access to a project. I've actually toyed with this idea but there aren't enough people that would benifit from it at the moment.

As always, i'm hesitant to put "too" much work into the site because the number of people writing plugins seems to be getting smaller each week.

8. mrjcleaver
    Posted 17 years ago #

Hi Andrew,

Thanks for your comments.

If code I write can't be contributed to by others then there's little point me putting it up. Likewise, I am suitably convinced by the wiki paradigm that I have little motivation to contribute documentation if others can't fold their comments into what I write.

I think you're not convinced by the idea of using a wiki for software development, but wikis are very commonly used for software development. It's not that I'd recommend you write new wiki functionality: there are already too many wiki platforms around to warrant creating a new one. But installing one, or finding a way to leverage Codex, that I would gently encourage.

9. boetter
    Posted 17 years ago #

Just wanted to say that I strongly agree with mrjcleaver. That would be great, there's a lot of how-tos to be written. But not only that; we really need an active wiki for the WPMU community. Being such an integrated part of the Wordpress community just seems weird in most cases.

10. vyriix
    Posted 17 years ago #

Yea, agreed, many how-tos are needed, and how come the amount of coders are getting less and less >.< someone need to come out with something to stimulate the community.

11. andrea_r
    Posted 17 years ago #

mrj - if that's how you'd like to set stuff up, no one is stopping you from doing so. If you want a wiki, snag a domain and some space and do so.

That's what Andrew did, (he's not on the dev team, remember?) and he's used MU to run his site to showcase what is it capable of. Not to put words in his mouth, but that was my impression of why it is set up the way it is.

12. andrewbillits
    Posted 17 years ago #

Andrea is pretty much dead on. Most people don't realize it but wpmudev is actually a non-vhost installation of wpmu with a custom admin panel.

Personally I think all documentation belongs in the wp codex but if someone wants to start a new site for how-tos I say more power to them.

13. mrjcleaver
    Posted 17 years ago #

I pushed http://codex.wordpress.org/Category:WPMU as far as I can be bothered to by myself. Others have to play else I get no value from being there. You can ALREADY write HOW-TOS on Codex - and again I invite people to participate.

I have asked on many occasion for Codex to be made more prominent on these forums (e.g. with a sticky post) but the impression I get is that I have no business asking for things because I am new around here.

The community does need a repository that is open to modification. Codex in its current state would not fulfill all our needs. We do need the ability to upload files such as .zip and .php files. I did a couple of tests:

Upload warning
    ".php" is not a recommended image file format.

Upload warning
    ".txt" is not a recommended image file format.

So Codex would need reconfiguring for our use.

Who here thinks that the WP people would be willing to reconfigure Codex to store other types of file?

Yes I am able to set up another domain for a wiki for this community. I'd have to be convinced that my time would be worth it first. Given the lack of alignment and comment on my previous requests I remain unconvinced doing much to help would be worth it.

Is WPMU the ugly stepchild of WP around here?

14. drmike
    Posted 17 years ago #

Um, being able to upload *.php files would be a security issue I would think.

15. mrjcleaver
    Posted 17 years ago #

Sure, I don't want the server to execute them. How about uploading them in a zip file?

16. boetter
    Posted 17 years ago #

So why not just cut the bureaucracy and start the wiki at wpmudev.org and forget the Codex until the WP people come begging for us to come back?

Not being able to uploads zips seems rather weird to me though.

17. andrewbillits
    Posted 17 years ago #

I give up, i'll install a wiki this weekend. I'll try to find a script that will be easy to synce with wpmudev.org's user tables.

18. mrjcleaver
    Posted 17 years ago #

I recommend TWiki as I know it well, and it is very popular for software development. That said, I appreciate that you may prefer something that is PHP based.

19. boetter
    Posted 17 years ago #

If you figure out MediaWiki userbase integration, let me know. I am currently stuck with this problem, and everything I can find on the web about it is way too complicated (on LDAP level and so).

20. bambam4479
    Posted 17 years ago #

You could try Blicki produced by Automattic. I haven't tried it myself

21. dsader
    Posted 17 years ago #

Oops I'm in the wrong place.

About this Topic

• Started 17 years ago by andrewbillits
  • Latest reply from dsader