The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

Way to restrict number of blogs user can create (11 posts)

1. Rubyducky
    Posted 17 years ago #

Currently, a user can create an unlimited number of blogs. Is there a way to restrict the user to creating a set number of blogs? Thanks!

2. Rubyducky
    Posted 17 years ago #

Any help here?

3. andrea_r
    Posted 17 years ago #

I guess the answer would be no then. :)

4. dubaidan2
    Posted 16 years ago #

Is there still no option for restricting the number of blogs per user?

5. lunabyte
    Posted 16 years ago #

Code it?

6. Mattz
    Posted 16 years ago #

Isn't it alreayd limited ?

You can limit the signup with a small code when the user has logged in.

When the user logs out and want to register a blog again using the same email-address he wil get noticed that it's already used.

So you don't have to code that much.

7. andrea_r
    Posted 16 years ago #

But if the user is logged in, they can go back to the signup page mutiple times.

in my experience, unless you advertise that you can do this, most users can't figure out how to get another blog. mostly because they figure they're signed up already, so why go back to that page?

8. Bike
    Posted 16 years ago #

>unless you advertise that you can do this, most users can't figure out how to get another blog. mostly because they figure they're signed up already, so why go back to that page?

I think that those users are not the problem and not the reason why you want to limit it :)
    Besides many themes have a 'want another blog' in the meta-admin widget, so it is easy to find.

Might be a nice addition though to stop sploggerz from messing up the system too often. Also could be a nice Premium thingie.

9. andrea_r
    Posted 16 years ago #

"Besides many themes have a 'want another blog' in the meta-admin widget, so it is easy to find."

Um, on a default install, that widget isn't inlcuded. Widgets aren't theme-dependant either, so.. I'd leave that widget out for one. ;)

Also, just do a light hack in wp-signup where it check to see if the user is logged in and if so, instead of continuing on to signup, fail with a "you're limited only one blog" message.

If you're doing it mainly to stop sploggers, there's a few other ways aroudn that before it even gets that far.

(and some I don't really want to publicize so sploggers can work their way around them. Feel free to email me though.)

10. Mattz
    Posted 16 years ago #

I thought this was working:

http://mu.wordpress.org/forums/topic.php?id=5930&page&replies=6

Just checking it fast and it doesn't... I have to look into my backups because I'm testing a lot... I had it working.

11. dubaidan2
    Posted 16 years ago #

This hack seems to work...

However I'm looking for a way to set a limit of 10 blogs per user. The reason being I want our students to use multiple blogs, but unlimited blogs creates problems with managing the hosting space. A malicious user could fill our available hard disks quite quickly.

I'm thinking a 'number of blogs per user' option in the site admin.

About this Topic

• Started 17 years ago by Rubyducky
  • Latest reply from dubaidan2