The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

I'm a n00b idiot, please help me. (37 posts)

1. themurph2099
    Posted 17 years ago #

I'm trying to install MU and use the subdomains. I have read the part in the Readme about the DNS stuff, and I read the more detailed information from the provided link. Plus I have searched through the forums and read some information about it here too...

The problem I'm having is that there is an implied level of understanding that I just don't seem to have. I know nothing about Apache, and I can't find anywhere were modifying my DNS will work the way it's said to do it everywhere. I'm using Go Daddy (which I know is not a plus) and I've installed dozens of Wordpress installs with no problem. My MU install is working fine with the yourname.com/user , but I would like to use the subdomain option, I just don't understand how to add the wildcard *.domain.com in IP ADDRESS information my files properly.

I apologize for being an idiot. Can someone help me?

2. drmike
    Posted 17 years ago #

Ask your host to make the modifications. At the very least tell us what you're running for DNS so we cann point you in the right direction. We can't help you if we don't know what you're running.

Please be aware that is you're having issues with this, you're going to have worse issues down the line. Not trying to be mean or anything but just want you to be sure that you're aware of what you're getting into. WPMU is server software and, by running it, you're acting as a server administrator. Folks will be asking you questions if you open up your service.

3. andrewbillits
    Posted 17 years ago #

well, let's hope they ask themurph2099 question and not come here looking for help. I think the reason behind 90% of those posts on these forums is that the admin of whichever site they are from does not know how to properly run a service.

4. drmike
    Posted 17 years ago #

There's one of the reasons I keep mentioning 'server software' when I write one of these 'do you know what you're doing' posts of mine.

I don't mind answering questions and trying to help out but the 'a gun in a 5 year olds hand' feeling keeps coming back to me. :(

I'm beginning to think maybe I should run a server with nothign but WPMU sites and do the installs myself.

5. themurph2099
    Posted 17 years ago #

drmike - I thought I had already made it clear that I was new at this. If this isn't a place that I can ask questions to learn how to do this better then just let me know. I already feel like a big enough idiot not being able to figure this out. Calling me a "5 year old with a gun in my hand" really doesn't help me much.

I do not know what I am running for DNS. Whatever Go Daddy's default is. If someone could tell me how I find that out (or point me to a beginner's guide to this type of thing), I would be more than happy to relay the information, and very thankful for the assistance.

6. andrewbillits
    Posted 17 years ago #

drmike,

the next time the gun "falls back to you", send it my way. I've got a few people starting to email me personally about how to install WPMU...

7. andrea_r
    Posted 17 years ago #

themurph2099: those instructions are written for people who *do* have acess to Apache settings. Most people who pay for webhosting on a shared system do not. And no, it;s not soemthign you can go into whereever you set up your domain to point to and flick a switch.

Contact your webhosting support (not the domain hosting). Ask them something like "Can you enable wildcard domains on my account?"

That's how you do it.

Drmkie and Andrew - same thought(s) crossed my mind.

8. themurph2099
    Posted 17 years ago #

andrea - thanks for the help.

I'll be sure and leave you guys alone from now on.

9. themurph2099
    Posted 17 years ago #

Just FYI for all you n00b GoDaddy users who might come across this thread - I just got off the phone with GoDaddy, and they don't allow wildcard domains on shared hosting accounts.

If you're using Go Daddy and you want to enable this you'll have to have dedicated hosting.

10. drmike
    Posted 17 years ago #

The issue is that you weren't clear which is why I asked you what you were using for DNS. Telling me that you use GoDaddy didn't help so I asked. If you want help, you have to answer the questions posed to you or we can't help.

For example. I'm reading a book. It's a nice book. Please tell me what's on page #321. You should know. It's a book.

That's what you came in and did. I asked you a question so I could help you.

Let me put it this way as well. Do you think you could drive an aircraft carrier? Probably not. That's why we state that this is server software. It's not for everybody. If you don't have the basic knowledge, you're not going to be able to run the software. You may want to drive the Intrepid but chances are you're going to run into Staten Island if you try. (For reference the Intrepid is based in New York City as is a floating museum now.)

What's going to happen when your clients start asking you questions? Answer with "I'm a newbie?" How well do you think that's going to go over?

11. andrea_r
    Posted 17 years ago #

I was thinking there should be a sticky, or in the FAQ, a big list of what MU is, and what it is not. There's a few new users (or attempted users) in here a week, mainly either trying ti out or doing a small install for a handfull of personal blog, or really restricted acces and...

MU is just sheer overkill for that, folks. And even though it is 90% Wordpress, the setup and install is not. The maintenance and running of the site is not.

12. themurph2099
    Posted 17 years ago #

andrea - I think you are right. There should be a sticky of some kind or a better explanation of what Wordpress MU is. I'm not trying to run a blogging service right now. I wanted to try to thing out because it seemed like it would be good for hosting several blogs on a variety of subjects. From it's description it doesn't seem like over-kill for that.

drmike - "If you want help, you have to answer the questions posed to you or we can't help." You are completely right. You can't help if I don't give you the right information. I apologize for not having that information for you. You, however, don't have to come off like such a complete ass when asking for more information. I understand that you're obviously frustrated with having to deal with "newbie" users asking questions about how to install the software. My suggestion to you would to not respond to "newbie" questions if you can't do it in such a way as to not degrade the person that you're talking to.

At some point you had to start learning this stuff too, you didn't wake up one day with all the knowledge in the world on how to run server software. If this isn't the right place to start the learning process all you have to do is say so...you don't have to be such a jerk about it.

13. drmike
    Posted 17 years ago #

Fine, next time I'll sugar coat the issue and lead folks along instead of telling them the truth from the start and let them know what they're getting into. Please excuse me for opening up your eyes.

I have no problem with answering new user questions. Please take a look at my profile here and at wordpress.com. Instead of assuming that I'm out to get you or whatever, please realize that I was trying to help you and jumping down my throat like you did while I was attempting to get you to realize that you were in too deep considering what questions you were asking was done for a reason.

Bloodly hell...

14. andyleppard
    Posted 17 years ago #

I'm interested in becoming a server administrator so that I can run my own business in the future (possibly using Wordpress MU as a platform). I naively installed the Wordpress MU application on my shared hosting and encountered the same problems as themurph2099.

Could drmike or andrea_r suggest any online resources for learning all that crazy server stuff. If running an Apache server requires more than could be offered in an online resource, could someone recommend a course title that one should look out for at local colleges.

While I agree that complicated software should not be run by amateurs, I think it's commendable for ambitious individuals to attempt to "bootstrap" themselves into more advanced practices by acquiring knowledge through experience. Learning and self-improvement should always be encouraged.

I also agree with themurph2099 that if you can't help or don't want to help it would be much more appropriate not to answer at all.

drmike and andrea_r however are two of the most helpful contributors to this forum and I salute them for all the time and expertise they have imparted to the Wordpress MU community. Keep up the good work :)

15. andrea_r
    Posted 17 years ago #

Well, I'm all for jumping in and pressing buttons to see what happens to learn new things. Yes, I had to learn a TON of stuff myself. I did have an in-house consultant though. :)

I'd personally go to the main Apache website to learn about that. http://www.apache.org I'd also start amassing a library of related books. (The public library ones would be too outdated.)

If you really wanted a college course (and if you're looking at this long-term and as a business, that's a good idea) then sign yourself up for a Network Administrator. They might possible call the course something like Computer Systems or Systems Administrator as well. Feel free to email me offline - the hubby (a programmer) also taught some game design courses in the past few years, and we're all about self-directed learning in our house, so we're quite familiar with computer related college level courses.

Unfortunately, I don't have a piece of paper that says I know stuff, I'm just a lowly housewife. :)

16. zeug
    Posted 17 years ago #

Or you new peeps could jump in the deep end and just admin your own linux server first to learn on the run. There are a few cheap virtual private server deals around, like cheap as in mimimal support and maybe dodgy backup. Go for the ones with cPanel, WebHost and a gui server admin like Virtuozzo.

Depending on your internet background it will probably take at least a month or more fulltime to familiarize yourself and start customizing and installing stuff, and don't forget to firewall as securely as possible. Any command line skills you have will probably help a lot.

For information just start refining your Google search skills, the internet is literally the most up to date manual on how to do server stuff.

Once you get the hang of all that then Mu should just be a wonderful challenge. I did mention the deep end didn't I?

17. journeyguy
    Posted 17 years ago #

So here's my question... I got everything up and running with subdomains... I installed WP MU in a folder called wpmu on my server.

When I add a blog, it has the address of blogname.mydomain.com/wpmu. I don't want the "wpmu" to show in the address...

How do I fix that?

18. andrea_r
    Posted 17 years ago #

"I installed WP MU in a folder called wpmu on my server."

That's why. install it in the root and it goes away.

19. stewdio
    Posted 17 years ago #

I'm going to jump in on this one if I may.

I'm not new to computers or the internet in general. I've been 'at it' for almost a decade and one thing always rings true for me as I assume it does for others at my level, is that there is always a learning curve, even to something familiar.

That said, working in IT over the years (starting with Win95) gave me a good worn saddle to use when I decided a few years ago to purchase my first domain name. I got lucky and have only had to change hosts once, mainly because I found a cheaper deal with more to offer. As soon as I got my domain, I spent days looking around for web hosts. Immediately, I got a sense of urgency when I realised I would have to run the site on Apache, which required Unix hosting; something completly foreign to me.

Getting familiar with the web 'in a new way' was foreign to me, but as Andrea_r stated, I too "like to jump in and start pushing buttons"; so off I went.

It started as HTML, simple enough, but tables were daunting. Moved to SHTML so that I wouldn't have to code as much and place my then "side-bars" on multiple pages.

Then I discovered scripting. No, not the hand written in notepad type of scripting many of you are more familiar with then myself, but just scripts in general that would achieve the goals I wanted. My first script installation and usage? It was Greymatter, yes, even in the year 2000 I was trying to blog, and I still have yet to run a proper blog of my own, but thats a different story.

Fast forward to 2006 (and the eventual point of this post) and I have since worked with a vast array of CMS and Blog scripts in my travels. Notably, my work with XOOPS (www.xoops.org) over the past two or three years, so much so that I became the Community Support Leader fielding dozens of questions per day at times.

I became very involved in that community and was actively learning new IT skills along the way, partially by choice, but more out of curiosity. I have since leaned away from that system in the past year. Development took a 4 pronged fork in the road and it still needs to get back to one coherent piece.

As I was learning the inner working of XOOPS, I quite accidentally fell into the realm of PHP and MySQL. Previous experimentation with other scripts had me familliar with database tables and the odd tid-bit of PHP code, although I admit I was fudging it along the way only to get the results I needed at the time. I still don't know all that much, in fact I know very little and just enough to be dangerous.

My point is that I one of my initial reactions to this particualr thread of posts was to scream "Install Linux!" all the while remembering that I too am a complete "noobie" when it comes to many, if not all things Wordpress, much less WPMU. I came in wet behind the ears, so to speak and I am still toweling myself off.

Wantingt to avoid the typical Linux baby faced, knee jerk reaction, I opted for what you see here, an entirely long-winded post with little to say about nothing and everything all at once, based on entirely one thing; I started at ground zero and still feel as though I am in that very same place; despite my experience.

I have since my early years installed and ran a "flavour" of Linux; but only when I felt ready. Based on that and just discovering WPMU last week, I instinctively knew I was going to have to ask my host to enable VirtualHosts for sub-domains on my account. It took a matter of five minutes for them to respond and with pleasure I might add.

No, WPMU is definably not for the faint at heart when it comes to Apache, PHP and MySQL all of which I learned how to configure through my own personal Linux experience.

Firstly, most people will not need to know this higher level of understanding until they get to the point where they are running their own Vhost or Dedicated Server solution through their provider. It certainly helps to have least dabbled in the experience.

Secondly, if you have any experience with hosting your own domain (new or old alike) you will find that WPMU once installed, really is a matter of personal experience and comfort. You will find that it runs just like any other typical vanilla flavoured Worpress installation with some really nice features for multi blog support as a service to others.

Don't be fooled. Its a hell of a lot of work when you get right down to it, because WPMU is meant to run as a blogging "service" for others. I realise now that I will eventually be upgrading my account to accommodate for more traffic and space as needs arise. For now, shared hosting will ave to do. My headaches have just because, but the pain is more pleasurable then any I've felt because I think I'm ready for this next step in my personal development.

In a nutshell WPMU, which can be run aa a single user blog, is intended for the services and community minded type of webmaster.

On a personal note, I hate blogging. Not that I hate blogs, I just can't seem to get a knack for doing it. One thing I can do however is set up and maintain a website; although my skills are incredibly weak. I know whats in store for me.

Once I got my WPMU install to run, which didn't take long, I quickly realised I was in way over my head. That's not stopping me though, because those buttons are flashing red white and green and just begging for me to start pushing them to see what happens next.

Oh, and one point for the newcomers. Don't be afraid to ask questions and don't get put off if the response isn't quite what you expected. I've had my "bad response days" where I'm tired of fielding the same old questions. I've been on both sides of the spectrum. I helped the newcomers to XOOPS for some time and now I find myself starting fresh; only with a new layer of experience to fall upon.

drmike and andrea are but 2 of the finest and knowledgeable people I have found myself to rely upon when I do a search for information in these forums

It's tough, I know, because I'm a newbie too!

Stew Brennand

(Maybe one day I'll figure out the point of this post; I guess I just had an urge to write) I'm sorry its so bloody long, trust me, it's condensed!!!

20. andrea_r
    Posted 17 years ago #

Aw Stew, I read it all. :) Ya big lug, here have another coffee... I'll make sure it's decaf. ;)

If you click on my name, you'll see my blog goes way back to 1998, back when they were online journals. Yeah, I remember when Greymatter and this new thing called Moveable Type were jostling for position with this freak-named "Blogger" spot. :D

Computers are fun stuff, and I'll echo something my hubby told his students and our kids: Whatever you study now in this field will probably be outdated in ten years. The best thing you can do for yourself is to never stop learning new things.

We were both in college in 1988, and I've never had to use d-base 3++ since. :D

21. lunabyte
    Posted 17 years ago #

-- She said "d-base"...

Wow, what a post Stew.

Digging up this thread reminds me that the "description" for MU should be revisited, and ensured folks understand it's a more involved and complex system than it's 5 minute big brother.

Not that that's a bad thing, but it still seems a lot of good folks are getting in over their heads, and in turn get a bad taste for something that's really great under its intended use.

22. andrea_r
    Posted 17 years ago #

Oh, ITA. The main page makes it seem like it's a snap to get it up and running, especially if you've been waiting for a multiple-blog setup for WP like MT has.

Yeha, I said d-base. :D I also studied .... wait for it... COBOL.

23. lunabyte
    Posted 17 years ago #

ahhhhh... lol

24. BondageRadio
    Posted 17 years ago #

Got Ya beat andrea_r... think way, way back...

z80 processor language...

Ran a BBS based on a Timex Sinclair 1000 with a home built 64k memory module, home built 1200 baud modem and a continuous tape loop for off line storage...

I was also the founder of my high school computer club...

old fashioned super nerd...

Steve Jobs was working at Taco Bell and tinkering in his garage and the only Bill Gates we ever heard of was this guy who was buying up software like DOS for a brand new company called Micro something or other...

(Here's a tip... if you develop cool software... like say, Wordpress... do NOT sell it to Bill... DOS, the basis for all PC's since the mid 80's, was bought for a few hundred dollars... he didn't even buy it, properly, from the guy who wrote it... the guy had blown him off a few times and Bill showed up at the guys house... Bill bought the software from the dude's WIFE, who had no idea what it was)

25. lunabyte
    Posted 17 years ago #

Did I hear someone say DMBBS?

26. BondageRadio
    Posted 17 years ago #

at our age, you still have your hearing?... what's up with that?

27. lunabyte
    Posted 17 years ago #

Huh?

;)

28. stewdio
    Posted 17 years ago #

***Pulls out a mega-phone and slams it next to your ear...***

He SAID, "AT OUR AGE YOU STILL HAVE YOUR HEARING?"

If you did, you don't now! lol

29. andrea_r
    Posted 17 years ago #

Whassat? Speak up you whippersnappers...

BondageRadio, we still have our Dos 6.0 manual around here somewhere. I started out on the Vic20 and Commodore64 while just a young 'un.

Them were the days, eh? Remember back when the web was new, and had no pictures? Remember ARCHIE and gopher? :D

30. fearlessadvisor
    Posted 16 years ago #

To set up wildcard domain on Godaddy, login to your account, click on "my domain names" under the Domains button. Click on the domain name you want to setup DNS for. You should now see something toward the middle of the screen that says:

Total DNS: (Available)
    Total DNS Control and MX Records

Click on that. Now, under A Host, click edit on the right hand side. Change the host value from @ to *
    This sets up the wildcard DNS. <b>Note: You must have a static IP set up for your hosting for this to work and if you're hosting is through Godaddy, you must be running a deluxe hosting or higher.</b> The "points to value" should be your static IP address. Click "ok'.

You may wish to add a second A record. Because there is no @, and your Cname @ points to www, the www won't work. Fix this by clicking on "add a new record" under the DNS control panel under the A (host) section. Create this one with the @ for the host. The points to value should be your static IP address.

About this Topic

• Started 17 years ago by themurph2099
  • Latest reply from andrea_r