The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

Moderating Blog Signups (38 posts)

1. lunabyte
    Posted 16 years ago #

Monitor Sitewide feed, delete as appropriate.

Add in a modification/hack to get an email on each signup, delete as appropriate.

2. drmike
    Posted 16 years ago #

Can someone share how these splogs are handled by admins of larger sites if there is no approval system in place?

Deleteing them when they come into existance. Your Site Admin -> blogs page allows you to list your blog in order of when they were last updated. That's what I use. That and the check up above as luna noted.

Not sure why you think after only 8 hours you know what's needed most around here when you seem to be having an issue with finding the search sticky though.

3. Bike
    Posted 16 years ago #

> Not sure why you think after only 8 hours you know
    > what's needed most around here when you seem to be
    > having an issue with finding the search sticky though.

Well, thanks I guess, nice to meet you too. Actually I have been around here many times for a year or so, reading all forums and posts, sticky or not, just signed up this week. But maybe to you, people who do not sign up do not exist.

I guess if a kid comes up to you and asks if the world is round, you tell them to search the older literature for it. I rather have some practical advice reflecting the current situation, especially as this is obviously an issue for many people (the registration, not the roundness of the earth). But you could have known that if you had used the search function yourself.

I did not memorize all threads I red past year, though I search often. I humbly apologize if I asked you some basic practical advice -that had not been asked before like this and if it was might have changed recently- that might have been mentioned in one of many thousands threads by you.

4. ppriede
    Posted 16 years ago #

The simplest solution i found

Open your
    wp-signup.php

And only put this
    <?php
    Header("Location: http://your.com/blog/");
    ?>

5. theworkisdone
    Posted 16 years ago #

Somewhere deep in the WPMU-Code there must be a function that sends out the activation e-mail. Why not change that user email to your own email? If you are fine with that new blog click on the activation link, if not ignore it. If approved the new user can request a new password via "forgot password function".

6. lunabyte
    Posted 16 years ago #

And if your blog gets popular, do you want hundreds of emails a day?

What about delays, or if you're out of town?

7. andrea_r
    Posted 16 years ago #

I concur that edit only works for small setups. :)

8. redbox
    Posted 16 years ago #

I'm a small setup and I'd love to know how to do that. :)

About this Topic

• Started 17 years ago by EvilPuppetMaster
  • Latest reply from redbox