The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

/wp-activate.php was not found (17 posts)

1. muslimways
    Posted 17 years ago #

I install wpmu, I am over the moon it's working but one problem, when someone tries to sign up they receive activation email but if they click on the link, they get this error:
    ---------------------------------------------
    Not Found

The requested URL /wp-activate.php was not found on this server.

Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

2. drmike
    Posted 17 years ago #

Um, have you looked for the file in your install?

3. muslimways
    Posted 17 years ago #

Yes the file: wp-activate.php does exist.

4. marinello2003
    Posted 17 years ago #

Forbidden

You don't have permission to access /wp-activate.php on this server.

Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

Apache/1.3.37 Server at 07Conroe1215.totalcontrol.host Port 80

Anyone know what causes this?

5. andrea_r
    Posted 17 years ago #

check the file permissions.

6. lunabyte
    Posted 17 years ago #

file permissions.

7. andrea_r
    Posted 17 years ago #

You're in my brain, lunabyte. :)

8. akanowicz
    Posted 17 years ago #

I'm having the same problem- it would be helpful if when the problem is solved you can post the solution as well.
    thanks,

9. andrea_r
    Posted 17 years ago #

read the thred: the error said they didn't have permission, we said check file permissions. Problem solved.

10. akanowicz
    Posted 17 years ago #

That wasn't clear. However, I did check the file permissions on wp-activate.php and set them to 777 and it still won't activate a new account.

11. donncha
    Key Master
    Posted 17 years ago #

I fixed this bug this morning but it was too late to make it into 1.1, you could still patch your install by looking at the changes in http://trac.mu.wordpress.org/changeset/866 as it's a small fix.

12. Flake
    Posted 17 years ago #

I am having exactle the same problem - when a new user tries to active the account, he gets this 404 error. File does exist, and I've set permissions to 777 but still the same problem. Am I too dumb to use MUWP?

13. drmike
    Posted 17 years ago #

What version of WPMU are you using? If it's an older one, you may need to upgrade. That fix that Donncha did wasn't too long ago.

14. anabelle
    Posted 17 years ago #

I have the same problemmm but its with the activation email, when soleone signs up for just a username

the link gets to gathacol.net/wp-activate.php en though my installation is under gathacol.net/blogs

15. Flake
    Posted 17 years ago #

I am using 1.1.1. To make sure I'm not outdated, I've even checked those files again and re-uploaded newer versions, but no changes.

16. lunabyte
    Posted 17 years ago #

And you've made (or had your host make) the appropriate modification to apache's config file, and you've added a wildcard to your DNS, and you also have a filed named .htaccess in the location you installed MU?

Also, what link is sent to the end user? It might be that the link is incorrect.

It "should" be your primary MU site /wp-activate.php

Sometimes it sends the link as (for subdomains) user.domain.tld/wp-activate.php, which doesn't always work.

Or, domain.tld/username/wp-activate.php if it's subdirectories.

17. Flake
    Posted 17 years ago #

.htaccess was generated by WPMU itself and the host claimed it had added wildcard to DNS. The users received username.site.tld/wp-activate.php and this link caused 404 error. Must have still been something wtih DNS wildcard, as I've redone everything using folders (site.tld/username) it worked just perfectly...

About this Topic

• Started 17 years ago by muslimways
  • Latest reply from Flake