The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

Weird Email Problem (7 posts)

1. sgtbenc
    Posted 17 years ago #

This is going to be hard to explain, so please bare with me. I have my MU on a subdomain, blog.abc123.com. The default email that I chose during installation was admin@abc123.com. I didn't get the initial email for my info. After that, when I make a new blog under a different name, I get an email. But, when I try to send a password reset to admin@abc123.com, I never get one. But, what I do get is an error back to my email account that says:

This message was created automatically by mail delivery software.

A message that you sent could not be delivered to one or more of its
    recipients. This is a permanent error. The following address(es) failed:

admin@abc123.com
    retry timeout exceeded

Thats the end of it.^
    I'm not sure if this is a problem with MU or with my host/cPanel. But, I'm leaning towards my host.

2. sgtbenc
    Posted 17 years ago #

Anyone?

3. Trent
    Posted 17 years ago #

Not sure if this will be much help, but it sounds to me like a space that shouldn't be in the admin email. Using CPanel, check the actual user in the database and make sure that the email is in there correct with no extra spacing. That is under the assumption that you registered another user with the same email address. If you didn't change the email to one that you know works to at least get you going.

If you find that fixes your problem and there wasn't an issue with email address, post your results for further digging!

4. sgtbenc
    Posted 17 years ago #

Well, for some reason, the install, doesn't send any emails out at all.

5. lunabyte
    Posted 17 years ago #

If you're using cpanel, I'll put money down that they don't allow the user "nobody" to access sendmail.

That being the case, you'll need to grab an smtp plugin, and use that.

I use the coffee2code plugin on my local development machine, which works out great.

It needs refinement and additional code for a live environment though, as you don't want users having access to view your smtp details.

6. sgtbenc
    Posted 17 years ago #

But, doesn't a normal wordpress install mail the same way? I have never had this problem using regular wordpress with cpanel.

7. sgtbenc
    Posted 17 years ago #

It wasn't a problem with Wordpress. Thanks for the help.

About this Topic