The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

Comments not working (31 posts)

1. wugga
    Posted 18 years ago #

Does anybody have comments working? Anytime I try to post a comment I get redirected to http://wugga.com//wp-comments-post/ which returns a Not Found error. I just turned on mod_rewrite logging to try and figure it out but hoped someone may have already solved the problem.

See this post for more information that could help.

2. Falo
    Posted 18 years ago #

I've solved that by changing the .htaccess:

OLD:
    RewriteRule ^([_0-9a-zA-Z-]+)/wp-comments-post.php(.*) /wp-inst/wp-comments-post.php [L]

NEW:
    RewriteRule ^wp-comments-post.php /wp-inst/wp-comments-post.php [L]

3. TomK32
    Posted 18 years ago #

should be
    RewriteRule ^([_0-9a-zA-Z-]+)/?wp-comments-post.php(.*) /wp-inst/wp-comments-post.php [L]

4. wugga
    Posted 18 years ago #

thanks. I'm re-gening the whole system and will make the change in just a bit to see how things work out.

5. partypageusa
    Posted 18 years ago #

This doesnt work for me . When I try to post a comment I get rerouted to http://www.domain.com/wp-comments-post/

Doesn't seem like the comments are being saved

6. jaseone
    Inactive
    Posted 18 years ago #

Falo's change worked for me, I did try TomK32's first but didn't have any joy.

7. TomK32
    Posted 18 years ago #

ah, yes of course:
    ^([_0-9a-zA-Z-]*)/?wp-comments-post.php(.*) /wp-inst/wp-comments-post.php [L]
    the + requires at least one char, the * doesn't. small differenct but big effect.

8. partypageusa
    Posted 18 years ago #

Thank you it works now.

9. wugga
    Posted 18 years ago #

Woks now for me too using:

I notice that my .htacess has the rewrite string for wp-comments-post.php twice. Once at the top of the "we want to pass these files straight through" section and then again about 6 or seven lines down. Since they are both a [L] I guess the second never gets seen. Is there a reason for two instances that I'm not getting/

10. TomK32
    Posted 18 years ago #

maybe no one did clean it up for a long long time...

Maybe we can fill up and test heavily this section and pages at codex in the near future: http://codex.wordpress.org/WordPressMU#.htaccess

11. inertia
    Posted 18 years ago #

Hmm. I have the same problem but your solutions aren't working for me.

12. inertia
    Posted 18 years ago #

For some reason my .htaccess didn't get written with the new lines. Everything works fine now.

13. mspecht
    Posted 18 years ago #

I am having trouble with comments using 2005-09-14 release I tried changing the .htaccess and still nothing. I am being just dumb?

14. mspecht
    Posted 18 years ago #

Yes I was being dumb, I was missing the ? details, details

Update:- does the htaccess.dist need to changed to include the ?

15. kristin
    Posted 18 years ago #

changing the .htaccess is not working for me
    I'm using the build from last night.

16. jerad
    Posted 18 years ago #

I ran the changes as suggested above and am having no luck. I am also using a one day old build. Were there changes I dont see?

17. Inviz
    Inactive
    Posted 18 years ago #

worked for me as Falo said

18. jerad
    Posted 18 years ago #

was there a reason for the same line being in there twice, it was spoke of above but nobody said if it should be removed and which one to remove. This is what I have:

RewriteRule ^([_0-9a-zA-Z-]*)/?wp-comments-post.php(.*) BASE/wp-inst/wp-comments-post.php [L]

19. Frequent
    Posted 18 years ago #

I tried tomk32's code from his ammended post and am getting a 404 when trying to submit a comment.

I replaced both lines (the first instance and the repeat) with the ammended code. Those of you who were able to use tomk32's code, did you replace both or just the first?

I haven't tried Falo's yet, any disadvantage to the code he posted? security?

Freq---

20. pumpkinslayer
    Posted 18 years ago #

After much frustration from an otherwise pretty sound installation, this line from wugga fixed the comments not being posted.

21. pumpkinslayer
    Posted 18 years ago #

Update on my last post above...

I changed the second instance of

RewriteRule ^([_0-9a-zA-Z-]+)/wp-comments-post.php(.*) /wp-inst/wp-comments-post.php [L]

To:
    RewriteRule ^([_0-9a-zA-Z-]*)/?wp-comments-post.php(.*) /wp-inst/wp-comments-post.php [L]

After much frustration from an otherwise pretty sound installation, this line from wugga fixed the comments not being posted.

Strange about that line coming up twice in the .htaccess, I assume the second one will override the first one by the ordering, or am I mistaken?

22. 1thing
    Inactive
    Posted 18 years ago #

i used the above code from pumpkinslayer and it works

23. ballen
    Posted 18 years ago #

pumpkinslayer, I have found the exact opposite when working with the .htaccess... I continue to find that rules will be read from the top down and if it sees one that is the same as it goes down the document it tends to disregard it. I don't know if this is true from a technical standpoint, but it kicked my butt for a few days when trying to figure out another issue where I had double entries in the .htaccess and only modified the bottom one.

24. michelem
    Posted 18 years ago #

I think there are others rules like this, for example:

RewriteRule ^([_0-9a-zA-Z-]+)/xmlrpc.php(.*) /wp-inst/xmlrpc.php [L]

RewriteRule ^([_0-9a-zA-Z-]+)/wp-register.php(.*) /wp-inst/wp-register.php [L]

and so on, I think these rules have to be changed like wp-comments-post.php
    What do you think?

25. Ste_000
    Posted 18 years ago #

My comments don't work ! ..... the code in the htaccess is :

RewriteRule ^([_0-9a-zA-Z-]+)/wp-comments-post.php(.*) BASE/wp-inst/wp-comments-post.php [L]

i have tried the solution posted but don't work!!! how can resolve? thanks

26. Ste_000
    Posted 18 years ago #

Any one can help me?

27. mspecht
    Posted 18 years ago #

I have:-

RewriteRule ^([_0-9a-zA-Z-]*)/?wp-comments-post.php(.*) /wp-inst/wp-comments-post.php [L]

Which seems to work fine, however I am running a Sept build which may cause some differences. However once you start playing around with .htaccess you can be at it for a long time as it can be like voodoo!

28. Ste_000
    Posted 18 years ago #

thanks ! but don't work yet !!! please help me...the installation has been executed by Tomk32 but now he don't reply to me !!! and i'm in difficult !....

sorry for my bad english !

29. Ste_000
    Posted 18 years ago #

tom32 have resolved......thanks at all

30. danstinebaugh
    Posted 14 years ago #

This is scarry, it's been 3 years since the last activity in this forum and I'm having almost the same problem however the .htaccess rules don't seem to have any effect as it's redirecting to the right page ie: http://helloandwelco.me/wp-comments-post.php however it just hangs there with a blank page, not returning an error, or anything, just stops. Any idea's?

I'm runnning wpmu 2.7 and buddypress 1.0

Your help would be appreciated!

About this Topic