The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

Nightly builds, improved mod_rewrite checks (17 posts)

1. donncha
    Key Master
    Posted 18 years ago #

Nightly builds are now available at:
    http://blogs.linux.ie/download/wpmu/latest.tar.gz
    http://blogs.linux.ie/download/wpmu/latest.zip

Changelog:
    http://blogs.linux.ie/download/wpmu/Changelog.txt

I fixed several problems, including better detection if mod_rewrite isn't enabled (I created a dummy setup-config.php that displays instructions on how to enable it!).

Pages support is working with the same URL as WordPress.
    ie. http://example.com/main/testpage/

I fixed a problem with wpmu-functions.php displaying an error on install.

2. NetAndif
    Inactive
    Posted 18 years ago #

Thanks for the infos, donncha.
    I've applied the changes for the pages. (htaccess and the file 'pages')
    They work now, but not as expected.
    The posts are shown, but the content is somewhat...incomplete.

http://wpmu.agunda.net/wpmu-2005-05-03/main/testpage1/

3. andrewbillits
    Posted 18 years ago #

just out of curiosity, what are you going to work on next netAndif?

Andrew

4. sallam
    Posted 18 years ago #

with the above latest download, pages do not work, donncha.
    I made a fresh install and a new database, to test.
    * There is no list of pages in the blog index page.
    * even when you click 'View' from inside admin panel, a 500 error page is the result.

btw, there should be a 'bug reports' section in this forum, for people like me who want to help by testing and reporting bugs.

5. andrewbillits
    Posted 18 years ago #

good point. Matt would you consider setting up bugzilla or similar? if you don't have the time, just create the subdomain and i'll do it.

Thanks,
    Andrew

6. NetAndif
    Inactive
    Posted 18 years ago #

Andrew,
    i've finnished changing most of my files so they now use functions from wpmu-functions.php. I seem to have managed to eliminate ALL of my hardcoded paths.
    My admin system is actually ready for putting into svn.
    I will now write some instructions on how to install...
    The friends-function is nearly-ready, too, but needs some last work. Also, i don't now if i should put third-party plugins into svn (cg-feedread).
    We've been donated some code which handles uploaded files and quotas (lissyx, thanks again). But i did'nt have the time to look at it yet. It would be very nice to include such functions, too.

So there is a lot of work remaining.

NetAndif

7. andrewbillits
    Posted 18 years ago #

Hmm, I don't know about adding third party plugins... and it's really not good to have a system that relies on one for a function to work. How complicated is the cg-feedread plugin? could it be re-written and packaged with wpmu? if it would be too time consuming we'll just ask for official permission to include the cg plugin.

Andrew

8. NetAndif
    Inactive
    Posted 18 years ago #

Don't think this plugin could be re-written...it has too much power.
    I wrote David Chait already, but he didn't response. Don't know. Will write him again, or maybe post on his support blog.

On little problem with my admin system: it requires to insert one line into the main index.php to include a php file. Don't know if this is good, but for now, i will use it.
    edit: this is not needed for my admin system, only for the bloglist function which i'm using for my frontpage

9. andrewbillits
    Posted 18 years ago #

Well, the simple fact is this: We keep trying to make no modifications to core wordpress files. However, in my opinion, we are eventually going to have to make some small modifications for things such as hooks for wpmu functions. What we need to do is devise a system for these modifications. Something such as having one file that contains all of the code that needs to be added but wrapped as functions. We could then place a simple "include" for that file such as wpmumod.php?function=blah, which would then place the appropriate code.

Basically this way would would not have to edit wordpress core files everytime we needed to change something in the modified code, we would just open up wpmumod.php and edit there.

Ofcourse there may be better ways, this is just one example.

Thoughts?

10. NetAndif
    Inactive
    Posted 18 years ago #

We could put some functions into plugins.
    But this would not be suitable, because then we would have to hide these plugins from the client blogs.
    What about adding functions to wpmu-functions.php and for using them in a template, create a smarty plugin for these functions.
    One other thing to mention is, that my admin system needs replacing or editing the files users.php and user-edit.php
    Maybe it would be a better idea, to make an own admin page for this functions.
    If this will be the way to go, i will have a lot of work to do, and maybe it could never be done.
    So, it seems to be better to look at my system as a 'hack' for people who want these functions, and do not bother in having to edit some corefiles.

11. donncha
    Key Master
    Posted 18 years ago #

Hang on.. multiple things happening here:

1. Modifying core files. It's already happening, they have to be maintained and changes merged, conflicts resolved when those files are changed in WP.
    2. Admin system. Default it so that the "admin" user of the "main" blog is root and has an extra few menu items. We edit menu.php and print those links. Obviously, there has to be a function that checks the user/blog logged in so that those files can't be accessed by other admins or users.
    3. Sallam - Did the error logs show any specific error? What paths are you using? "/" or "/wpmu/" or something else?

I'm running out of time, heading to Chicago on Tuesday morning but I'll get some more work on it done tomorrow.

12. donncha
    Key Master
    Posted 18 years ago #

Before I forget - there is a bug tracking system - Trac, you must be logged in but then visit http://trac.mu.wordpress.org/newticket to enter a new ticket.

13. andrewbillits
    Posted 18 years ago #

thanks donncha :)

14. matt
    Key Master
    Posted 18 years ago #

Wherever possible it'd be ideal not to modify core WP files too much, if something can avoid being modified if it needs an API hook just let me know and I'll put it in to the core.

15. matt
    Key Master
    Posted 18 years ago #

The build links on the download page should be working now. :)

16. Rattanack
    Posted 17 years ago #

Hi, how come the link to download does not work

17. amnesiak
    Posted 17 years ago #

it seems as if the site is down.
    However it seems that there are a few issues. Perhaps I should wait for another nightly,

About this Topic

• Started 2025 years ago by donncha
  • Latest reply from amnesiak