The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

Anyone speak French? (10 posts)

1. suleiman
    Posted 17 years ago #

I've been looking for a really robust avatar setup for my MU install, and came across what looks to be a promising plugin.

The problem is the entire explanation of the plugin, including how to install it, is in french only.

I'm hoping someone who is fluent could possibly read the plugin page and report back to the community as to whether or not this is a viable option?

The plugin page is here: http://www.john-noone.com/2006/10/08/identikit/

2. JohnA
    Posted 17 years ago #

Yes, I understand it. I'll transliterate the top couple of parts so you know what he's talking about:

"I have already published a series of plugins for managing remote avatars. These plugins functions well, except a problem of performance at the time of the submitting a new comment. Only, I had a need for flexibility to manage these images. Lastly, I had wanted to write a plugin which does not just link to the images, but which offers a true interface administration.

Thus I wrote this new plugin which manages all of the pavatars, favatars and gravatars, but which integrates also new concepts : favicons and local avatars. This plugin is used to create the visual identities of each contributors (authors and commentators). Moreover, it allows logged in authors to install their images on the site (thus without passing them from a remote site), with a pretty private interface. Lastly, it automatically inserts the nice pictures (beacons?) into the home site."

Most of it was straightforward French although as an Englishman, it's always a problem dealing with web neologisms like "gravatars" and whatever "balises" means.

Hope this helps.

3. quenting
    Posted 17 years ago #

gravatars are avatars hosted by gravatars.com .
    balises is the french for tag (as in html tag).

4. suleiman
    Posted 17 years ago #

so we're dealing with a plugin here that allows the uploading of local avatars by commentors? that doesn't depend on gravatar.com servers? that allows you to choose from a pool of pavatars, favatars, and gravatars?

why isn't anyone else getting excited about this?!

5. quenting
    Posted 17 years ago #

well as far as im concerned, i already have one :-). it doesn't support gravatars and stuff but my users don't even know what it is (heck, even i only have a bare idea).

6. andrea_r
    Posted 17 years ago #

I wish they'd just call them all avatars and not use up extra letters in front. :) Besdies, doesn't comvatars do most of this?

7. JohnA
    Posted 17 years ago #

Merci, quentin.

Balises == tags

8. suleiman
    Posted 17 years ago #

comvatars, at least on my installation, does not allow a user to upload their own image for use as an avatar.

What you really need is a system where avatars can be uploaded and then used after admin approval.

9. Ovidiu
    Posted 17 years ago #

yeah I am interested too, anyone tried this? Is the interface all french? I mean I can understand soem french but not the technical stuff :-(

10. alenonimo
    Posted 17 years ago #

It has too many functions. I just want an pavatar plugin which just grab the pavatar. Gravatar is not working and I don't want to supoort it unless it come back, and favatars are too small.

About this Topic

• Started 17 years ago by suleiman
  • Latest reply from alenonimo