The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

Found an Excellent Gallery Plugin! (10 posts)

1. suleiman
    Posted 15 years ago #

I found an excellent gallery plugin over here: http://www.wildbits.de/mygallery/#english

but I don't have anywhere near the coding skills to get it working in MU. I don't think it's that important whether we can get this to work in MU-plugins or not, but the functionality is near-perfect for an MU install.

2. lunabyte
    Posted 15 years ago #

Cool.

I think that I'll probably "encourage" the use of flicker, photobucket, or similar.

I know for a couple of my standard WP sites, I've been using the Coppermine plugin, which for a single install is very nice. I don't think the guy who wrote it is doing much with it anymore though, and opting to write his own in his spare time.

3. quenting
    Posted 15 years ago #

I'm currently porting mygallery to my mu setup. it's pretty good yes. I think it's important to have an embeded gallery in your system, particularly if you plan to have a "premium" account or something people pay for, because room is quickly filled on the disk with images and this leads users to want to extend it ;-).

4. suleiman
    Posted 15 years ago #

that's great news quenting! Will you be releasing your code to the community?

5. quenting
    Posted 15 years ago #

I can't really say... I'm supposed to release plenty of stuff I made already, thing is, my architecture is somewhat special so my plugins would need sometimes some extensive modifications to be regular-MU compatible, and even more particularly from the file storage perspective (I'm trying to move uploaded files to a place where there wouldn't be any sql query needed to load them, so I can put them behind a lightweight HTTP server), so everything that's related to uploaded images is likely to be quite different on my site and on a vanilla MU.

6. lunabyte
    Posted 15 years ago #

Q,
    sounds like you've got the same bug I've got.

Hard coding what you need. ;)

7. suleiman
    Posted 15 years ago #

Quenting, would you be able to point a curious cat to the parts of the files that need changing?

I might be able to figure out, or maybe someone else here could.

8. quenting
    Posted 15 years ago #

> sounds like you've got the same bug I've got.
    > Hard coding what you need. ;)

Lol indeed :-). There's plenty of stuff i'd be glad to release, only it's dirty and it's specific, and everytime i get the choice between making a plugin clean and mu-compatible or working on my site, I end up doing the latter :-/. I don't even have a clean mu 1.0 test env., and just setting this up is discouraging me already...

9. suleiman
    Posted 15 years ago #

hmmm...dirty and specific sounds better than nothing at all.

it's times like this I wish we had a test mu bed where the wpmu admins could test and tweak on vanilla mu installs.

10. lunabyte
    Posted 15 years ago #

I'm right there with you Q.

Although the "majority" of edits I've made to the core files (excluding sign-up and login) have been so that the primary domain could be a sub-domain, and the sites when created could be on the same level subdomain.

It hasn't been much, surprisingly. Only a few minor edits to a couple functions in wpmu-functions, and then sign-up.

Of course I've also added a captcha to the sign-up process, as well as a registration agreement that has to be checked in order to sign up.

I did keep track of most of my changes, at least in the core files, so when it's time to upgrade I can compare what's changed in the files I've modded.

About this Topic

• Started 15 years ago by suleiman
  • Latest reply from lunabyte