The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

Allow .mp3 download with Anarchy (12 posts)

1. Farms2
    Posted 17 years ago #

Heya,

With the oh-so-excellent Anarchy media player - does anyone know how I can set it so that my users are able to offer a download link for .mo3s as well as the player?

Cheers, James

2. Farms2
    Posted 17 years ago #

Are you outa there Zeug?

3. zeug
    Posted 17 years ago #

yep, in the current config.php set $mp3downloadLink = 'inline'; instead of 'none'.

I'm working my way through an admin options page at the moment, working fine on normal wp but mu-plugins does my head in sometimes :)

4. Farms2
    Posted 17 years ago #

Dude, you're a legend! This will make all mp3s links rather than providing the player though won't it... so an option would absolutely rock

Many thanx again, James.

5. zeug
    Posted 17 years ago #

No, it loads the mp3 in the player and has the link underneath it. It's only a sitewide option at the moment but I'm mucking my way through an admin options page at the moment to make it a per blog option.

6. Farms2
    Posted 17 years ago #

Can't tell you how much I appreciate this mu-plugin!

7. qza
    Posted 17 years ago #

How can I DISALLOW mp3 downloads? I can disable download link in anarchy options, but users still can see at the source of the page and find the mp3 link.
    In one of blogs, I want to disable downloading mp3s, so do I have to chmod blog specific upload folder?

8. zeug
    Posted 17 years ago #

Well you could try one of the other various mp3 players, look for one that uses php to make a playlist which makes it a lot harder to find the mp3's to download. Most players though, like AMP, pass the mp3 address as a flash variable to the player and yes you can easily enough find the mp3 in the source.

The mp3's still need to be world readable though as far as I know so you're probably not going to find a really secure solution especially when it comes to dynamically loaded audio. For your really special mp3's you could embed them in a non-importable swf, which makes it rather difficult to extract them.

But if you do find a decent solution for securing mp3 audio post it here and I'll see what I can do with the anarchy player.

9. qza
    Posted 17 years ago #

Thank you for the reply zeug. I think disabling download option in anarchy is enough for now.

10. drmike
    Posted 17 years ago #

Would still be in the browser cache anyway, wouldn't it?

11. qza
    Posted 17 years ago #

Yes, I just wanted to make downloading mp3s harder.

12. zeug
    Posted 17 years ago #

Security? I guess you can start by protecting your mp3 directory, either chuck a blank index.php in there or set htaccess to:

#prevent directory browsing -- for security

IndexIgnore */*

And you could even try messing around with basic authentication via your flash player and htaccess using something like:

AuthType Basic
    AuthName "No access"
    AuthUserFile .htnopasswd
    AuthGroupFile /dev/null
    Require valid-user

The idea is the player sends an authentication then loads the mp3, without it no one can download your files ... in principle anyways, I haven't tried it myself but there are a few tutorials around for doing similar. And if you get it working I'd certainly be interested!

Ummm ... if u got cpanel then HotLink protection will also stop other sites from both playing your mp3's and leeching your bandwidth.

Then you've just got your cache files to worry about... is it possible to specify no cache in the response header for an mp3 stream???

As for me? I just think information wants to be free :)

About this Topic