The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

Date format is not good for muli language (6 posts)

1. zimen
    Posted 17 years ago #

Example:

I want to have the date under EVERY post AND give the options to my users to change the date dormat in the options page.

It's NOT possible.

The only way to do that is to have the relative date "php the_date" not "the_time".

So my feature request would be that one.

Thank you

Simon

2. lunabyte
    Posted 17 years ago #

It's already there, isn't it?

They can set their date and time format under Options.

Then, all you have to do is call the date and the time functions without any options passed to them.

Of course, each theme is different, and you'll have to edit each one to make it how you like.

3. andrea_r
    Posted 17 years ago #

And not only that, it's a standard wordpress tag - not specific to MU. So if you're really having some sort of issue with it, head over to the regular WP forums.

(but my bet is on the theme, like lunabyte said)

4. zimen
    Posted 17 years ago #

No.

This is why:

<?php the_date(); ?> - Let's users change the date throught the general options. BUT shows relative date. NOT the date under every post but once for the latest post of that specific day. It does not show the date for the other posts on the same day.

<?php the_time(); ?> - This one shows up for every post BUT in wp-admin you have to set the variables in the time field and not in the date field. It workds but my users would get confused if told to set the date format in the time field.

What I want is a date that shows up for EVERY post AND let's me change the format in the general options under the date field and not the time field!!

5. zimen
    Posted 17 years ago #

An alternative could be hack the general-options.php file.

comment off the date fields and change the title of the time field to something like "Date & Time", then hack the default values to show also the date.

Anyone knows where to change the default values for the time field?

6. zimen
    Posted 17 years ago #

I found another solution. Very simple.

<?php the_time(get_settings('date_format')) ?>

It uses the time variable (shows for every post) but fetches the settings from the date field in the general options page!

a bit un-friendly solution but it works.

About this Topic