The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

categorization on blog level (16 posts)

1. Totto
    Inactive
    Posted 18 years ago #

Hi to all. I'm interested to find a feature i need being supported in a multiblog system - what i need is a possibility to categorize blogs themselves. What i mean - from the main page to have different categories of blogs and when i get into a category to see the list of blogs in this category only. And respectively, when a new user registers to be possible to choose a category from the given ones for his blog.
    So is it possible with WPMU?

2. redwolf
    Inactive
    Posted 18 years ago #

I also think that this would be an extremely useful feature, though I'm not sure how easy or difficult it would be to implement.

3. TomK32
    Posted 18 years ago #

Ain't blogshares.com enough catagorisation?

@redwolf: implemention is always easy if you have an idea what you and everyone else wants.

4. mspecht
    Posted 18 years ago #

I also think such a feature would be useful. You would need a list box on the create a blog page that displayed the blog categories as per the hosting providers listing. Once the blog has been created the category would need to be modifiable via the Options page. Some sort of request a new category would also be nice, maybe just via email.

5. andrewbillits
    Posted 18 years ago #

I would love to see this feature.

(farms... think neighborhoods!)

6. Totto
    Inactive
    Posted 18 years ago #

Tom, what come's obscure in this idea?
    Anyway, I checked blogshares.com and find it's categorization is not what is wanted here; but there's what its necessities are. What we others are looking for is a feature for public blog systems where a user simply registers in a category given and has his own personal blog to write in and moderate it. So we got different kind of categories, different topic blogs. Nowadays, it seems it's not so simple for WordPressMU to take this feature cause i think it will need an extra field in 'wp_blogs' table for the blog's category.
    greetings!

7. donncha
    Key Master
    Posted 18 years ago #

Why not put the blog category in the the options table of each blog? It avoids the need to change an existing table.
    The right way to do it would be to create a new table call blog_categories with fields: id, site_id, blog_id, cat_id. That way a blog could belong to any number of categories.
    Anyone want to do that? It should be hooked into the general options page, the wpmu-blogs page, and there has to be an admin page for listing all the categories.
    Categories would be created by blog owners as they join them like post categories are now.

8. TomK32
    Posted 18 years ago #

@donncha: I'll code that.

BTW: You about my patches? didn't see my name in the ChangeLog yet (yes, I'm one of those who are proud of seeing their name in ChangeLogs...)

9. Totto
    Inactive
    Posted 18 years ago #

Thanks guys! Hope we all will appreciate your work!

10. inertia
    Posted 18 years ago #

Existing bloggers should be able to choose categories too.

11. jalien
    Posted 17 years ago #

I know this is an older thread, but I wondered what was happening with the idea of having blog categories. I am hoping to switch over about 80 wordpress blogs to wpmu, and would like to possibly scale it from there to a few hundred, maybe over 1000. I would like to be able to chose a group of students by category (class) and add a user (teacher) as say an editor to that whole group. So this would need some code like you discussed plus the ability to block edit a property from that a selected group of blogs. Would this be possible?

On a related note (at least to me) what would be needed to get the role manager plugin to work with wpmu. Sometimes for younger students it is best to present them with a simpler admin panel. So having the above capability with role manager would make wpmu THE blog software for k12 education.

12. stgoos
    Posted 17 years ago #

Jalien,

Have you made any progress yet to get Role Manager work under WPMU 1.0? I'm also looking for a way to get this one working with MU but cannot find a hack anywhere...

13. jalien
    Posted 17 years ago #

No progress, I am not a php programmer and with work it will be a bit of time before I get it done, but I will start to learn and hopefully get so that I can understand it enough to get it working. Any guidance would be appreciated.

14. Ovidiu
    Posted 17 years ago #

It seems the newesst version of role manager does work!? I get an error whenever I change a role: Fatal error: Cannot redeclare class rolemanager in /var/www/web5/web/wp-content/plugins/role-manager/role-manager.php on line 0 but otherwise it seems wo work...

15. stgoos
    Posted 17 years ago #

@Ovidiu: which version of Role Manager are you using? I'm using this one:

Description: Role Management for WordPress 2.0.
    Version: 1.4.5
    Min WP Version: 2.0
    Max WP Version: 2.1

In my afford to get this plugin working I just installed the latest nightly today and started with installing the Role Manager plugin first before making any other changes.

I receive errors like:

Fatal error: Call to a member function on a non-object in /home/.../mu/wp-content/plugins/rolemanager/role-manager.php on line 156

Anyone an idea how to fix this?

16. ezequielc
    Posted 16 years ago #

About this Topic