The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

Installing WPmu over existing WP installation, Can it be done? Has it been done? (23 posts)

1. BondageRadio
    Posted 17 years ago #

I think the topic has my question well in hand.

I would be interested in the distinct differences that separate the two apps, any difficulties webmasters have had when upgrading from one to the other, and any tips (besides the obligatory 'BACK IT UP BEFORE TRYING THIS')

Especially useful would be a step by step description of making the changeover from a working and customized version of WP to a working properly organized and user accessible version of WPmu.

(for this exercise sub domains will not be used as a part of the final matrix, URL path designations will work fine i.e. www .example .org/blog/username)

[edited for spelling and unintentional insertion of non-existant URL]

2. lunabyte
    Posted 17 years ago #

Beats me.

Hell, I've never even thought to try.

You can import posts and stuff. I remember reading that. As far as settings, it would probably be "easier" to just set it up and configure vice trying to import an existing wp db.

As for customizations, hope you kept track. ;)

3. BondageRadio
    Posted 17 years ago #

Backing up DB - Backing up Mods (Themes, plugins, Uploads, etc.) - installing WPmu - importing the backup - Dropping in and activating the mods.

Sounds like a fairly strait forward proposition.

I am wondering, though, is that the only option?

Since I have not moded ANY of the WordPress original installation files (with the exception of config files) and theme based mods, addons, uploads, hard coded html files and even a non-WP members section litter my file space, (gimme a break you Neat Freaks... the site has been moded for over ten years of service) I'd like to be able to just replace the WP specific files with the WPmu files via FTP upload, hence keeping all older links and database entries up to date.

4. lunabyte
    Posted 17 years ago #

Actually, I wasn't referring to a DB import. I was referring to a post import, via the import tab in the admin section. ;)

Doing a db import will make "the sky fall on your head". ;)

5. stewdio
    Posted 17 years ago #

I suppose it's theoretically possible, however I've noticed a number of things that are inherently different just in the directory structure alone.

First thing on the top of my head is that in WP (Stand-alone) there is a cache folder. WPMU has built in cache (AFIK). In any event, there are /slight/ differences in the folder structure.

Secondly, would be the configuration itself. WP (Stand-alone) doesn't require any settings to distinguish between sub-domain vs the directory structure. Simply importing all your DB config options from WP to WPMU would be insufficient.

Sure, you can import just about everything and reasonably mirror your WPMU files to closely reflect your original WP installation. You will however encounter problems beyond what's mentioned above.

Your /new/ installation will not know how to handle new user registrations. Your installation will puke when it's asked what to do. The solution, add the appropriate DB tables. Easier said then done, because core files will have to be modified in order to tell your WPMU what do.

Key components will be missing, such as the unspecified amount of additional code tha has been added or subtracted from the WP code-base in order to make WPMU work.

Needless to say, it would be a very tedious task and not worth the effort. Even the .htaccess file would be different for ModRewrite.

The simple solution would have you install the WPMU code as usual. Your time would be better spent importing your posts and copying your theme files over. Lets not even mention your plugins...

Ultimately, a fresh installation of WPMU, in my minds eye, would save you valuable time. The time it would take to fix WP to make it work like WPMU far outweighs the time it would take to troubleshoot a WPMU installation with WP imports and comparison checks.

Thats just my humble opinion anyway.

6. BondageRadio
    Posted 17 years ago #

thanks

since I do not need the sky to fall in on my head, AND I dont NEED to have MY blog running on the same WP install as my User's blogs, I think, in this case, the best install would be a side by side install...

My WP blog is already down one directory from my root (root. com/wordpress/). I think I'll simply install WPmu in a different directory and point members THERE when setting up their own blogs (root. com/memberblog/username)

oh happy happy joy joy... I'm off to break yet another piece of software over the head of an unsuspecting hosting provider... *insert evil, maniacal laughter here*

7. stewdio
    Posted 17 years ago #

As the great Cartman from South Park would say..

Sweet

Just be sure of the pitfalls of installing WPMU in root vs subfolder. It's a PITA.

8. lunabyte
    Posted 17 years ago #

Ah yes. Install mu in the root. You'll thank us later. ;)

since your blog is in /wordpress/ you could make sure in the root htaccess file that it ignores that directory, and all should be well.

Unless you have your wp index.php in the root, then you'll need to have a little fun in the root index.php, and tell it which blog header to grab.

9. BondageRadio
    Posted 17 years ago #

um...

ok...

silly question...

I want users blogs to be in a subdirectory ... ( www .mysite .com/userblog/username )

if I install the WPmu into ../../htdocs/rootofsite/userblog

shouldn't THAT leave the site exactly where I need it?

10. lunabyte
    Posted 17 years ago #

yes. but, for the record... mu doesn't like being in a subdirectory.

11. andrea_r
    Posted 17 years ago #

Yep, you might find MU does all kinds of wild and wooly things.

12. alfredo
    Posted 16 years ago #

Is this fact still true?

Installing WPMU in a subdirectory, say /wpmu, then copy index.php to root folder and change some config (a la standard WP) doesn't work?

The only way is installing wp-* on domain's root folder?

13. lunabyte
    Posted 16 years ago #

That's right.

MU does not work like WP.

It really needs to be in the root.

14. alfredo
    Posted 16 years ago #

Ok... :(

Thanks!

15. tabletguy
    Posted 16 years ago #

I installed 1.21 in a subdirectory a couple months ago, following directions in the readme, and it works fine.

1.23 readme says the same thing.

What specifically does not work? If that's the case, then why would they say this so clearly in the readme, without any extra cautions?

16. drmiketemp
    Posted 16 years ago #

I politely point out that folks missing the readme file is a common issue around here.

edit: That and checking error logs.

17. ladynada
    Posted 16 years ago #

I am totally confused after reading this thread. I am looking to install MU and I want to put it in a folder. what kinds of problems does that cause?

thanks for any help,
    nada

18. drmiketemp
    Posted 16 years ago #

When you say 'folder' are we talking about a subdirectory? Maybe giving an example of what you're trying to do would be helpful.

19. peacearena
    Posted 16 years ago #

Can someone address how to move the contents of the files directory into blogs.dir/X/files. The system locks the directories and you can't manage them via ftp. I really don't want to re-upload hundreds of files. My host objected to the directions given in another thread, saying they didn't make sense.

I also have other folders in the old WP files directory, "photos", "docs" and such. Where is the best place to put these subdirectories in WPMU?

20. Lancer
    Posted 16 years ago #

I'm in the same boat. I currently have Wp in a sub-directory, and want to install WPMU to host member blogs.
    Since I have both a forum and a portal already which are installed, and the index.php for those are in the root, I can't place WPMU index.php into the same root folder. Well, I can if I'm allowed to name it something other than index.php

Anyone have any suggestions short of getting another host? I want the installation under the same domain name.

Thank you in advance for your inputs and advice.

21. drmiketemp
    Posted 16 years ago #

peacearena, you have to change the ownership of the files from the webserver to your user account to move the files. Either that or get your host to do it as root. (Gotta admit that they should have known that simply by looking at the files)

Oh, might have helped if you had mention what instructions you were looking at.

Lancer, best bet would be to install the software into a subdomain (ie blogs.mydomain.tld) and then do subdirectory blogs off of that. (ie blogs.mydomain.tld/username)

Hope this helps,
    -drmike

22. peacearena
    Posted 16 years ago #

For the record, my host changed the ownership for me. I think there was just a misunderstanding, since I didn't use the right terminology, on account of not really understanding what was needed. Whatever, it's fixed now -- so on to the next issue...

23. Lancer
    Posted 16 years ago #

Thank you DrMiketemp. I'll try that and see how it goes.

About this Topic

• Started 17 years ago by BondageRadio
  • Latest reply from Lancer