The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

user database: single sign-on to comment on any blogs in network? (13 posts)

1. jdcoffman
    Posted 17 years ago #

Is something like this possible, so that if someone signs in to one of the blogs in my network they are a 'user' on any of the blogs and thus can place comments/participate in the forum through any of the sites?

I tried searching but honestly being a n00b to this whole 'scaling' thing is hard on me!

Thanks for any help or advice you can give :-)

2. dsader
    Posted 17 years ago #

Yes, Dashboard-->Options-->General
    Checkbox: "Users must be registered and logged in to comment"

If a user has a blog anywhere in your WPMU, and they have logged into their blog(or anywhere else in your WPMU) they can comment.

3. lunabyte
    Posted 17 years ago #

Awww... and I had a smart assed comment about needing plenty of Rocket Fuel from Coffee Zone.

Oh well. What D said above.

4. jdcoffman
    Posted 17 years ago #

oh that's soo Perfect! Thanks!

How is mu doing with installing into subdomains?

5. lunabyte
    Posted 17 years ago #

As in the primary site is a subdomain, or the users get a subdomain?

6. quenting
    Posted 17 years ago #

is it me or is the answer not for the question ? The question seems to be about allowing SSO acrosse blogs (which is basically a cookie issue), whereas the answer seems to be how to restrict comments to only users registered on your network ?

7. lunabyte
    Posted 17 years ago #

Must be you. ;)

8. quenting
    Posted 17 years ago #

ok. *goes grab coffee*.

9. Ovidiu
    Posted 17 years ago #

well the answer answers the question, but it also restricts posting to registered users, a tiny little fact which nobody mentioned,right?

10. lunabyte
    Posted 17 years ago #

From the question asked, I'd assume that's the point. That they want only registered users to comment, and are wanting to know if anyone logged in (regardless of blog) can comment if that's enabled.

Else, why worry about if a user is logged in or not?

11. andrea_r
    Posted 17 years ago #

In the OP, he asked if it was possible, and I think the answer (especially based on the length of the thread) would be yes. :)

12. quenting
    Posted 17 years ago #

you could want (that's my setup for instance) that anyone can comment (even non-registered users), and logged in users can comment on each other's blogs without having to reauthentify (being logged in resulting for instance, in the form fields to be pre-filled, the avatar showing up, etc.). In this case the proposed solution wouldn't be a solution since it prevents comments from unregistered users at all.

13. Ovidiu
    Posted 17 years ago #

@quenting

thats how I understood his question, but since he did not give any more comments regarding the proposed solution, I dunno

About this Topic

• Started 17 years ago by jdcoffman
  • Latest reply from Ovidiu