The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

Visual editor not working in post on IE (13 posts)

1. djfrey
    Posted 17 years ago #

In Internet Explorer, the visual editor or rich text editor (tinyMCE) will not work in post.php. It works correctly in post-new.php. It always works correctly in Firefox.

I have refreshed the page. No luck. I have copied the editing function call from post.php to post-new.php, and it worked correctly (I hard coded the post ID). It's something fundimental with post.php. I also tried installing the WYSI-Wordpress plugin (another WYSIWYG editor) and encountered the exact same issue.

This is a make-or-break issue! Someone else must be experiencing this same problem?

2. lunabyte
    Posted 17 years ago #

People still use IE? Wow.

I'm of no help here, I absolutely hate the visual editor.

3. djfrey
    Posted 17 years ago #

You'd be surprised.

My editors are not tech-savvy folks, and my department is in no position to mandate who runs what softare on their computer (but we are responsible for their blogging software.. hmmm).

This one is a real deal-breaker. I hope someone can provide some guidance.

4. andrea_r
    Posted 17 years ago #

Eh, I have a few users using IE - works for them so far.

5. djfrey
    Posted 17 years ago #

This has to be the dumbest solution ever.

It was the theme.

The theme linked to an image that didn't exist - the preview pane was never truly 100% loaded - so the Javascript that enables the visual editor was never firing. I changed to one of the default themes and it worked ok. Edited the theme, and likewise.

For all those ppl out there with visual editor IE troubles, try changing to a default theme!

Thanks for putting up with my "the sky is falling!" posts.

6. andrea_r
    Posted 17 years ago #

That is truly the oddest problem I;ve ever heard. :D Normally, the front-end theme selection has no way of affecting the back end. So that's just... odd.

made a little more sense when I got to the "preview pane" part though.

7. drmike
    Posted 17 years ago #

That happens with regular WP as well. It's come up before.

I've been leaning towards suggesting the option to remove the preview but I don't think it would float too well.

8. lunabyte
    Posted 17 years ago #

Well, a checkbox for user preference would be nice. Can't see what it would hurt.

Kinda like the option for the "rich editor". I'd welcome that one, as the preview box drives me nuts 99% of the time.

9. Ovidiu
    Posted 17 years ago #

ther is a plugin called killpreview and another one called clutterfree (this one allows you to select which parts of the backend you want to see)

10. quenting
    Posted 17 years ago #

I've had a lot of issues in IE with the tinymce that was embedded in the nightly i started using . People had to refresh the page to view, some just never view it at all. Then I found a patch to upgrade to tinymce 2.0.6 I think, which I did and removed all the stuff with that plugin i think it was buttonsnap and replaced it with true tinymce plugins. And now things work :-). If you want to do this you need to be ready to put your hands deep in the code though.

11. drmike
    Posted 17 years ago #

TinyMCE just has issues. Let's be honest. :)

Matt has stated that one of his resolutions is to make the editor more "acceptable to users in 2007" or something like that. Maybe this means make it work right. :)

12. dkatzman
    Posted 17 years ago #

Hi Mike, I have the same problem. I use Firefox so I'm ok, but most of my users use IE and the cannot retrieve the posts... With the rich-text editor they just get a blank edit window. The preview shows no problem, but they can't edit. I am using the Subtle Theme, but changing to the default or others made no difference. I also use Adsense Deluxe. Please help!!!! My people are throwing foam from their mouths!!!
    Thank you in advance.

13. bojsoom
    Posted 16 years ago #

hi ,

i have the same problem, I did not find solution :( ..

help plz..

About this Topic