The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

Sitewide Feed + Nightly (37 posts)

1. topherrosado
    Posted 17 years ago #

I'm probably just missing something very obvious, but I'm having trouble getting my sitewide feed to show up in the dashboard in a nightly I installed on my dev site. The nightly is from Tuesday (Jan 16). I did see that the feeds were moved into index-extra.php, so I replaced the Wordpress Planet feed with my site's sitewide feed, but then the feed wouldn't display!

I compared the code and couldn't find any differences that would cause this. Anyone have any idea why it wouldn't work?

2. topherrosado
    Posted 17 years ago #

I've been hacking on this for several days, and even copied a wp-admin/index.php I /know/ displays the feeds, but still nothing. I'm beginning to suspect that the issue lies with wpmufeed.php itself -- it's also not displaying in the RSS widget. This is on an installation of a nightly from Jan 16th, and at this point I've hacked the installation too much to easily up or downgrade it.

Some information I didn't mention before: this is on a vhost installation on site5.

Is anyone else having trouble using wpmufeed.php on a recent nightly?

3. drmike
    Posted 17 years ago #

Some of your URLs might help so we can see what you're looking at. :)

4. topherrosado
    Posted 17 years ago #

drmike: http://unsilence.com/

The feed is currently set to ID 1.

5. andrea_r
    Posted 17 years ago #

Somewhere along the lines, things got changed to use rss.php rather than rss-functions.php which was in earlier downloads. I had issues with feeds not updating and once I changed code to use the earleir file, problem was solved.

(yes, cacheing was on...) I had issues both with the sitewide feed not updating in my editied dashboard, and the flickr rss widget not updating.

6. topherrosado
    Posted 17 years ago #

andrea,

I just tried that (replacing all references to rss.php with rss-functions.php), and there's still no love :( The wpmufeed.php that's installed is the unmodified 0.3.1 release.

I have caching enabled, and it does appear to be caching.

-jailshell-3.00$ ls -l wp-content/
    total 36
    drwxr-xr-x 3 unsilenc unsilenc 4096 Jan 20 10:02 blogs.dir
    -rw-r--r-- 1 unsilenc unsilenc 4034 Jan 16 16:57 blogs.php
    drwxrwxrwx 9 unsilenc unsilenc 4096 Jan 22 06:26 cache
    -rw-r--r-- 1 unsilenc unsilenc 32 Jan 16 16:57 index.php
    drwxr-xr-x 8 unsilenc unsilenc 4096 Jan 23 01:08 mu-plugins
    drwxr-xr-x 8 unsilenc unsilenc 4096 Jan 21 15:22 plugins
    drwxr-xr-x 9 unsilenc unsilenc 4096 Jan 21 12:54 themes

-jailshell-3.00$ ls -l wp-content/cache/
    total 28
    drwxr-xr-x 15 unsilenc unsilenc 4096 Jan 22 06:36 14fbc36039acaa4bdf9665d81c6913af
    drwxr-xr-x 14 unsilenc unsilenc 4096 Jan 19 19:42 5704ea27bc73df808a472e8d785b533e
    drwxr-xr-x 19 unsilenc unsilenc 4096 Jan 21 16:52 83e049c92fc390b788b1d0ed0fa8be9b
    drwxr-xr-x 50 unsilenc unsilenc 4096 Jan 21 16:23 b5ca8c0fbc880ec7ce11744cdab221a9
    drwxr-xr-x 135 unsilenc unsilenc 4096 Jan 22 06:29 badd89be15ec548a3d807554faecc1af
    drwxr-xr-x 32 unsilenc unsilenc 4096 Jan 21 15:43 cab638d671cab978b4298d620bd1abab
    drwxr-xr-x 16 unsilenc unsilenc 4096 Jan 21 13:37 d17a28080ab86216ff2404d69092d684
    -rw-r--r-- 1 unsilenc unsilenc 0 Jan 17 11:42 index.php
    -rw-r--r-- 1 unsilenc unsilenc 0 Jan 23 01:06 wp_object_cache.lock

7. drmike
    Posted 17 years ago #

I just discovered this as well on my own system. While both the main blog feed and the WPMU-Feed is produced, neither one will show up in widgets either nor the dashboard.

Rather annoying actually.

When I put the RSS feeds into the index-extra.php and try to load up the index.php, the entire section is missing. Even the section descriptions. (ie Other WordPress news)

edit: I was thinking that maybe is was because the feed wasn't valid but even a valid feed didn't show up.

8. suleiman
    Posted 17 years ago #

uh ohhh....so i take it this is also broken on the 1.1 download?

9. drmike
    Posted 17 years ago #

I was going to say no but considering that the 1.1 is pretty close to teh nightly, I'm going to say probably.

10. drmike
    Posted 17 years ago #

I was thinking that maybe it was because my feeds don't validate but the original poster's does and it still doesn't work on my system.

Andrea, do you remember what you changed? The first things I tried was the rss line at the top of my index-extras.php file but that didn't do any good.

11. lunabyte
    Posted 17 years ago #

Looking at it, it's doing something with AJAX now. Perhaps so that the page loads first, then the external content.

Have either of you tried deleting the feed cache from the db in case of a conflict?

Just a thought. But I'm going to look into it more as well, since I like to use different feeds in the DB.

12. drmike
    Posted 17 years ago #

Have either of you tried deleting the feed cache from the db in case of a conflict?

Yup. First thing I tried once I realized that there was an issue. Good idea though and thanks.

Some quick pluggin in of echo statements shows that fetch_rss isn't passing any items down. Got zero for the feeds that I've tried with.

I'm leaning towards the fact that these feeds are not valid and fetch_rss is choaking. Although I've never had this issue in the past. And the Original Poster's feed validates fine. Still won't import though.

Although there's little I can do about that since we're talking about public feeds from our end users.

Note that the Technorati feed works fine. It's imported via the same method as the others.

13. lunabyte
    Posted 17 years ago #

I'll have to try and change the feeds on my local install that's 1.1 (ok, it's 2 days before 1.1, but close enough for today).

The default feeds are showing up fine for me though, in case that's an issue.

It takes a sec or so after the page loads, but that's ok.

14. KKWangen
    Posted 17 years ago #

I just added a ticket on this - http://trac.mu.wordpress.org/ticket/238

I have trouble with all feed links, not just wpmu-feed

15. Ovidiu
    Posted 17 years ago #

just upgreaded to 1.1 and I can confirm the above bug/problem with general feeds not showing in the dashboard...

16. suleiman
    Posted 17 years ago #

phew...i'm so glad i holded off on this!

still, utterly bizzare why this would be going down.

17. lunabyte
    Posted 17 years ago #

Maybe it's something related to upgrading then?

A clean install seems to be fine.

18. topherrosado
    Posted 17 years ago #

Maybe it's something related to upgrading then?

A clean install seems to be fine.

I doubt it.

When I first posted about this issue, my install was a clean install of that nightly (no version of WPMU had ever been on that account before). I went ahead and upgraded to 1.1 on release day in the hope that it was resolved. I'm still having the issue, and I haven't been able to use other feeds either.

19. lunabyte
    Posted 17 years ago #

Strange, as the feeds are working ok on my clean install. It's a nightly from the 18th though, but it does already have the separation between index.php and index-extra.php in it.

20. drmike
    Posted 17 years ago #

Comfirm that there's an issue with the RSS widgets as well.

It looks like it's an issue with the fetch_rss script. if you drop in an 'echo' right after it, any feed that doesn't show is retuning that it wasn't able to read any posts from the feed.

21. drmike
    Posted 17 years ago #

I was able to give a temporary fix to this issue by sending the feeds through feedburner.com and then use feedburner's URLs within index-extra.php. I also went ahead and removed the following line from the WPMU-Feed plugin as even feedburner wasn't taking it with it in there.

<wfw:commentRss><?php comments_rss() ?></wfw:commentRss>

It's just a temp fix though.

I do note that I'm seeing the posts of spammers that I had already deleted show up in my wpmufeed. I do need to fix that asap.

Hopw this helps,
    -drmike

22. lunabyte
    Posted 17 years ago #

hmmm... were the accounts deleted?
    If so, a refresh of the wpmu-feed cache should clear it.

23. drmike
    Posted 17 years ago #

No, they were just marked as spammers. Like the list all plugin, it doesn't check for that. It just checked for the public and archived flags.

Fixed now though. :)

24. lunabyte
    Posted 17 years ago #

Ah. Yeah, that would help. lol

25. topherrosado
    Posted 17 years ago #

drmike: that workaround works great! Wish I had thought of it.

On another note, does anyone know how to get an excerpt of the post and the author's name to appear in the dashboard? I'm only getting the post title displayed -twice- for my site feed.

26. drmike
    Posted 17 years ago #

I had someone point that out to me as well for my own feed. It's on my to do list.

27. chris
    Posted 17 years ago #

Ah, feedburner, great!

28. drmike
    Posted 17 years ago #

Shouldn't have to be going to feedburner though.

29. drmike
    Posted 17 years ago #

MrBall posted a patch concerning the RSS feeds. This may be the cause and solution of the issue.

http://trac.mu.wordpress.org/ticket/245

30. topherrosado
    Posted 17 years ago #

I've tested the patch on my install, and it works for me.

About this Topic

• Started 17 years ago by topherrosado
  • Latest reply from suleiman