The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

Unpretentious WP-MU hosting (5 posts)

1. gecampbell
    Posted 17 years ago #

I've set up a free WordPress-MU site on one of my servers at http://unpretentious.org. It should have lots of room for growth, and a few people have already signed up. Let me know what you think.

2. hery
    Posted 17 years ago #

I see that some people use their own domain name for your WPMU. Can you explain how did you do?

Thanks

3. stewdio
    Posted 17 years ago #

Greetings hery,

I noticed your photo gallery test sits and see that you have a handle on MU, so your off to a good start.

Let me appologize off the start if you already know what I'M about to explain. I'm assuming you for the purposes of your previous question) do not have a domain name and a host, so I am going to treat it as such and try to answer your question as best as I can. Once again, all appologies if I read in to your question wrong! :-)

So on with it...

To answer your question, all you need to do is purchase a domain name and then look for a webhost to upload your wpmu (and other files, scripts, etc).

Domains are cheap, a few bucks a year for .com, .org, .net and others.

Hosting can be relatively cheap as well, but don't just grab the first one you find. Research is needed. The more you read, the more you learn to know what you are looking for in a host.

Some hints to get you started:

*linux hosting (avoid the other one)
    *pricing and packages - Look them over and comparison shop
    *mySQL support (preferably unlimited databases)
    *sub-domain (same as above)
    *transfer, storage, etc.

Bear in mind that you may have to wait (on average) 24-48 hours for yourdomain.com to show up in your browser. Your webhost will give you a temporary IP for you to upload files via FTP and plug into your browser for testing.

A note for wpmu and Apache (your host will most likely run Apache). You will need to make sure that they will allow *wildcard* domains. A support question thrown at them in a friendly email should get you the answer your looking for. If your potential host does not offer wildcard domains, you may not be able to offer user.yourdomain.com accounts.

Just a few things to look out for to get you started. I hope I wasn't off (TRAC) on assuming that, that was what you meant by your question!

Let us know how it goes, and happy hunting!

===
    Word of note, not to plug my host or anything, but I use http://www.godaddy.com to purchace my domain(s), and I use a separate host, http://www.surpasshosting.com to host my domains. My particular web host (Surpass)can take a couple of hours to set up your account, but they have terrific deals and incredible support. I've been with them for about three years now.

?>end long winded post

4. stewdio
    Posted 17 years ago #

Oh and gecampbell!! (Sorry forgot this was YOUR post!) :-D

The site looks great! Clean and presentable, almost unpretent... you know what I mean ;-)

Good job :-)

5. ergate
    Posted 17 years ago #

I am also interested to know what Hery asked. I have notice that many of the blogs in the "new blogs" and "updated blogs" sectinos have their own domain, and when I check the code on the pages they show "WordPress wordpress-mu-1.0".

Its been a few months since I was here on the boards reading the latest stuff, and I am lazy so I will ask.
    Do you have an install of MU running that is allowing multiple domains or some version of that. Or are the blogs that show with their own domain, are they individual installs of MU and are being displayed on your home page via code or rss?

Whichever way you are doing it, it looks nice, I like your theme. (another lazy question, where did you get the theme?)

About this Topic

• Started 17 years ago by gecampbell
  • Latest reply from ergate