The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

Pages not working (18 posts)

1. flungster
    Inactive
    Posted 18 years ago #

Hi - has anyone had problems getting pages to work properly? I thought I had everything finally working on my site but unfortunately pages won't display for some odd reason. I can write and manage pages through my management pages but if I try and view them, the click through redirects to my site's home page. No matter what I do, it gets redirected to the homepage. Any thoughts? I feel as if there's a RewriteRule that is messing me up but if all of you are working just fine.. then there's a config issue on my end? Any thoughts would be great!

2. TomK32
    Posted 18 years ago #

did you get archives working? none of both working at mine.

3. flungster
    Inactive
    Posted 18 years ago #

well my archives appears to work. I can definitely select posts by months and the appropriate blog entries are shown. I took a look at the .htaccess file and the rules are covered there for archives but I don't see how pages are handled. They appear to get handled by the bottom two rules - am I correct here? If that's the case then /wp-inst/index.php handles the calls ?

4. flungster
    Inactive
    Posted 18 years ago #

here's a thought - can someone please post their .htaccess file from a fully working MUWP install?

5. rocksolid
    Inactive
    Posted 18 years ago #

RewriteEngine On
    RewriteBase /

###
    #### blogs
    ###
    RewriteRule ^([_0-9a-zA-Z-]+)/templates/(.*) /wp-inst/wp-content/blogs/$1/templates/$2 [L]
    RewriteRule ^([_0-9a-zA-Z-]+)/files/(.*) /wp-inst/wp-content/blogs/$1/files/$2 [L]
    RewriteRule ^([_0-9a-zA-Z-]+)/wp-content/blogs/(.*)/files/(.*) /wp-inst/wp-content/blogs/$1/files/$3 [L]
    RewriteRule ^([_0-9a-zA-Z-]+)/wp-content/themes/(.*) /wp-inst/wp-content/themes/$2 [L]
    RewriteRule ^wp-content/themes/(.*) /wp-inst/wp-content/themes/$1 [L]

# rewrite these
    RewriteRule ^([_0-9a-zA-Z-]+)/category/(.*)/page/(.*)/ /wp-inst/index.php?wpblog=$1&category_name=$2&paged=$3 [L]
    RewriteRule ^([_0-9a-zA-Z-]+)/category/(.*)/(feed|rdf|rss|rss2|atom)/?$ /wp-inst/wp-feed.php?wpblog=$1&category_name=$2&feed=$3 [L]
    RewriteRule ^([_0-9a-zA-Z-]+)/category/?(.*) /wp-inst/index.php?wpblog=$1&category_name=$2 [L]
    RewriteRule ^([_0-9a-zA-Z-]+)/author/(.*)/(feed|rdf|rss|rss2|atom)/?$ /wp-inst/wp-feed.php?wpblog=$1&author_name=$2&feed=$3 [L]
    RewriteRule ^([_0-9a-zA-Z-]+)/author/?(.*) /wp-inst/index.php?wpblog=$1&author_name=$2 [L]
    RewriteRule ^([_0-9a-zA-Z-]+)/([0-9]{4})/?([0-9]{1,2})?/?([0-9]{1,2})?/?([_0-9a-zA-Z-]+)?/?([0-9]+)?/?$ /wp-inst/index.php?wpblog=$1&year=$2&monthnum=$3&day=$4&name=$5&page=$6 [L]
    RewriteRule ^([_0-9a-zA-Z-]+)/([0-9]{4})/?([0-9]{1,2})/([0-9]{1,2})/([_0-9a-zA-Z-]+)/(feed|rdf|rss|rss2|atom)/?$ /wp-inst/wp-feed.php?wpblog=$1&year=$2&monthnum=$3&day=$4&name=$5&feed=$6 [L]
    RewriteRule ^([_0-9a-zA-Z-]+)/([0-9]{4})/?([0-9]{1,2})/([0-9]{1,2})/([_0-9a-zA-Z-]+)/trackback/?$ /wp-inst/wp-trackback.php?wpblog=$1&year=$2&monthnum=$3&day=$4&name=$5 [L]
    RewriteRule ^([_0-9a-zA-Z-]+)/page/?([0-9]+)?/?$ /wp-inst/index.php?paged=$2 [L]
    RewriteRule ^([_0-9a-zA-Z-]+)/feed/?([_0-9a-zA-Z-]+)?/?$ /wp-inst/wp-feed.php?wpblog=$1&feed=$2 [L]
    RewriteRule ^([_0-9a-zA-Z-]+)/comments/feed/?([_0-9a-zA-Z-]+)?/?$ /wp-inst/wp-feed.php?wpblog=$1&feed=$2&withcomments=1 [L]
    RewriteRule ^([_0-9a-zA-Z-]+)/archives/p/([0-9]+)/?(.*)? /wp-inst/index.php?wpblog=$1&redirect=yes&p=$2 [L]
    RewriteRule ^([_0-9a-zA-Z-]+)/archives/cat/([0-9]+)/?(.*)? /wp-inst/index.php?wpblog=$1&redirect=yes&cat=$2 [L]
    RewriteRule ^([_0-9a-zA-Z-]+)/archives/m/([0-9]+)\#?(.*)? /wp-inst/index.php?wpblog=$1&redirect=yes&m=$2 [L]
    RewriteRule ^([_0-9a-zA-Z-]+)/b2rss2.php(.*)? /wp-inst/wp-feed.php?wpblog=$1&feed=rss2 [L]
    RewriteRule ^([_0-9a-zA-Z-]+)/b2rdf.php(.*)? /wp-inst/wp-feed.php?wpblog=$1&feed=rdf [L]

# We want to pass these files straight through
    RewriteRule ^([_0-9a-zA-Z-]+)/wp-comments-post.php(.*) /wp-inst/wp-comments-post.php [L]
    RewriteRule ^([_0-9a-zA-Z-]+)/go.php(.*) /wp-inst/go.php$2 [L]
    RewriteRule ^([_0-9a-zA-Z-]+)/pages/(.*) /wp-inst/pages/$2 [L]
    RewriteRule ^([_0-9a-zA-Z-]+)/wp-admin/(.*) /wp-inst/wp-admin/$2 [L]
    RewriteRule ^([_0-9a-zA-Z-]+)/wp-atom.php(.*) /wp-inst/wp-atom.php [L]
    RewriteRule ^([_0-9a-zA-Z-]+)/wp-comments-popup.php(.*) /wp-inst/wp-comments-popup.php [L]
    RewriteRule ^([_0-9a-zA-Z-]+)/wp-comments-post.php(.*) /wp-inst/wp-comments-post.php [L]
    RewriteRule ^([_0-9a-zA-Z-]+)/wp-commentsrss2.php(.*) /wp-inst/wp-commentsrss2.php [L]
    RewriteRule ^([_0-9a-zA-Z-]+)/wp-counter.php(.+)? /wp-inst/wp-counter.php [L]
    RewriteRule ^([_0-9a-zA-Z-]+)/wp-feed.php(.*) /wp-inst/wp-feed.php [L]
    RewriteRule ^([_0-9a-zA-Z-]+)/wp-images/(.*) /wp-inst/wp-images/$2 [L]
    RewriteRule ^([_0-9a-zA-Z-]+)/wp-links-opml.php(.*) /wp-inst/wp-links-opml.php [L]
    RewriteRule ^([_0-9a-zA-Z-]+)/wp-login.php(.*) /wp-inst/wp-login.php [L]
    RewriteRule ^([_0-9a-zA-Z-]+)/wp-mail.php(.*) /wp-inst/wp-mail.php [L]
    RewriteRule ^([_0-9a-zA-Z-]+)/wp-pass.php(.*) /wp-inst/wp-pass.php [L]
    RewriteRule ^([_0-9a-zA-Z-]+)/wp-rdf.php(.*) /wp-inst/wp-rdf.php [L]
    RewriteRule ^([_0-9a-zA-Z-]+)/wp-register.php(.*) /wp-inst/wp-register.php [L]
    RewriteRule ^([_0-9a-zA-Z-]+)/wp-rss.php(.*) /wp-inst/wp-rss.php [L]
    RewriteRule ^([_0-9a-zA-Z-]+)/wp-rss2.php(.*) /wp-inst/wp-rss2.php [L]
    RewriteRule ^([_0-9a-zA-Z-]+)/wp-sidebar.php(.*) /wp-inst/wp-sidebar.php [L]
    RewriteRule ^([_0-9a-zA-Z-]+)/wp-trackback.php(.*) /wp-inst/wp-trackback.php [L]
    RewriteRule ^([_0-9a-zA-Z-]+)/xmlrpc.php(.*) /wp-inst/xmlrpc.php [L]
    RewriteRule ^([_0-9a-zA-Z-]+)/maintenance.php /wp-inst/maintenance.php [L]
    RewriteRule ^([_0-9a-zA-Z-]+)/favicon.ico /wp-inst/favicon.ico [L]
    RewriteRule ^([_0-9a-zA-Z-]+)/wp-includes/images/(.*) /wp-inst/wp-includes/images/$2 [L]
    RewriteRule ^([_0-9a-zA-Z-]+)/wp-includes/js/(.*) /wp-inst/wp-includes/js/$2 [L]

RewriteRule ^wp-newblog.php$ /wp-inst/wp-newblog.php [L]
    RewriteRule ^wp-login.php /wp-inst/wp-login.php [L]
    RewriteRule ^wp-admin/(.*) /wp-inst/wp-admin/$1 [L]
    RewriteRule ^wp-includes/images/(.*) /wp-inst/wp-includes/images/$1 [L]
    RewriteRule ^wp-includes/js/(.*) /wp-inst/wp-includes/js/$1 [L]
    RewriteRule ^signup/ /wp-inst/wp-newblog.php [L]
    RewriteRule ^invite/(.*)/? /wp-inst/wp-newblog.php?u=$1 [L]
    RewriteRule ^index.php /wp-inst/index.php [L]

RewriteRule ^$ /wp-inst/index.php [L]

# catch all rules
    RewriteRule ^([_0-9a-zA-Z-]+)/ /wp-inst/index.php [L]
    RewriteRule ^([_0-9a-zA-Z-]+) $1/ [R,L]

AddType text/css .css

# BEGIN WordPress
    <IfModule mod_rewrite.c>
    RewriteEngine On
    RewriteBase /
    RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-f
    RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-d
    RewriteRule . /index.php
    </IfModule>

# END WordPress

6. flungster
    Inactive
    Posted 18 years ago #

thanks for posting this. Unfortunately it wasn't too much different from what I had and unfortunately it did not fix my page problem.

For the people that do have pages working - is the .htaccess file modified on the fly by Wordpress? Single user wordpress modifies the .htaccess file for pages to work. I haven't figured out how the MU Wordpress handles this. Any thoughts?

7. partypageusa
    Posted 18 years ago #

When you say page I am assuming you are talking about the About page that was created for you. this is what I did to make it work, nothing big involve. All you have to do is go to the page manage link, next click the edit for that page, next just click the Edit Page button.

You should be able to see the page now.

8. flungster
    Inactive
    Posted 18 years ago #

actually - what I mean is, when I click on the link to a Page (such as the about page or really any page you create), it doesn't actually go to the page. Posts work just fine but pages don't seem to work at all for me

9. partypageusa
    Posted 18 years ago #

Yes that fix I just gave you applies to the Page you are talking about. Trying making a test page and see what happens. I just did a test page and it works.

10. flungster
    Inactive
    Posted 18 years ago #

Hmm.. still doesn't work for me. I wonder if it's a problem with my ISP's Apache settings. Ugh. It's strange since posts work just fine. Just not pages.

11. sskhalsa
    Posted 18 years ago #

I have the same problem!

anyone have a fix yet?

for example, i create a page called "About"

WPMU links it to http://www.example.com/wpmu/about/
    (i have it installed in secod directory, not root.)

But all that shows is the main page! In addition, in the "edit page" section, where it shows the page preview, it also shows the main page.

EDIT: let me also add, that this applies to RSS feeds as well --> example.com/wpmu/feed/ --> leads to main page

12. sskhalsa
    Posted 18 years ago #

anyone know wats up?

i have same problem on 2 different servers from diff hosts

13. rezilient
    Inactive
    Posted 18 years ago #

The fix that partypageusa mentioned above worked for me. But my question is why is this happening, can we somehow fix it so the "About" page works right away for new users?

14. sskhalsa
    Posted 18 years ago #

still doesnt work for me :(

i went to Manage Pages --> Edit --> Edit Page, and the about page links to http://www.domain.com/wpmu/about/

that just shows the posts from the main page

15. sskhalsa
    Posted 18 years ago #

anyyyone know? do you think this problem occurs because WPMU is not in the root directory?

Also, why would new pages show up as http://www.example.com/wpmu/about/ ? As if they are in a separate folder?

On single user wordpress, its usually just a static page with extensions ?page_id=#

16. sskhalsa
    Posted 18 years ago #

WAIT IM CLOSE TO A FIX!

the actual pages are created at ?pageid=#, however they show up differently in the pagepreview and in the Pages section (as domain.com/wpmu/aboutpage/)

How can i find out where to edit that??!

17. sskhalsa
    Posted 18 years ago #

lol...forgive my spamming

i just used rocksolids htaccess (mine was blank :-/) and everything works fine...oops

18. rezilient
    Inactive
    Posted 18 years ago #

Were you able to fix the problem where the "About" page redirects to the main blog for new users (until the page is edited)?

About this Topic

• Started 18 years ago by flungster
  • Latest reply from rezilient