The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

WPMU Enhanced Author Profile Plugin (4 posts)

1. suleiman
    Posted 17 years ago #

So this plugin is really a pre-cursor to an avatar plugin that I'm hoping to get around to developing off of this plugin. I wanted to provide my users with the ability to display their pictures and a short blurb on their sidebars in a sleek and streamlined format, and barring some hindrances this plugin accomplishes that.

In its present state this plugin makes use of the Author Image Plugin by Andrew Ferguson, and the Author Profile Widget that Ergate released.

Both of the plugins have been hacked to provide the following functionality: The Author Image Plugin will provide a form for users to upload their images on their profile page, but will save the image to $blog_id.jpg in the /blogs.dir/ folder (NOT in their own $blog_id subfolder).

The Author Profile Widget will then look for the $blog_id.jpg file in addition to calling the the_author_description(); function, and wrap the text neatly around the image. You can see a demo of it in action on my home blog: http://suleiman.hadithuna.com.

To install this plugin, first drop the "fergcorp...php" file in your mu-plugins directory. Then go to Andrew Ferguson's page and follow the instructions for modifying the profile.php file in your /wp-admin/ folder.

Then drop the author_profile.php file in your /mu-plugins/widgets/ directory and drag it to the sidebar.

For styling use the following in your hacked MyCSS css file:

.wpmuprofile
    !height: 250px;
    overflow: auto;

For more information and to download the plugin, head to http://suleiman.hadithuna.com/wpmu-author-profile-enhanced-plugin/

2. Ovidiu
    Posted 17 years ago #

I see you also discovered this plugin: http://geekgrl.net/2007/01/02/profile-pics-plugin-release/ as I read your comments there, was it of any use/working with wpmu?

3. suleiman
    Posted 17 years ago #

I'm working on it ovidiu, and particularly excited about that one, because it's got compatibility with at least one latest comments widget.

I'll let you know, but if gravatars comes back to life I may just convert back to comvatars.

4. findtj
    Posted 17 years ago #

Suleiman, I have installed your plugin and am having problems with MU author information. The photos are coming up, however I think there is a problem with the "the_author_description(); function". Example that I am running into:
    SINGLE AUTHOR EXAMPLE
    Action #1:
    ========
    MU Author A: puts photo and about text in appropriate fields under their login.
    ========
    Result #2:
    MU Author A: photo and author info post, and link works

MULTIPLE AUTHOR EXAMPLE
    ========
    MU Author A: puts photo and about text in appropriate fields under their login first.

MU Author B: inputs same steps as author A
    =========
    Result:
    MU Author A: correct photo for Author A shows up, however Author B's text shows up.

MU Author B: correct photo for Author B shows up, as well as correct author text shows up.
    =========

Has anyone ran into this, I am really wanting to get this to work. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!!
    -TJ

About this Topic