The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

how to disable all blogs feed? (10 posts)

1. conpeo
    Posted 17 years ago #

Disable or discontinue update the blog feed new post.
    because someone can subscribe any blog by adding /feed after bloggers' siteurl.
    want to disallow feed to be subscribe.

is it necessary to modify each themes?

2. lunabyte
    Posted 17 years ago #

Modifying a theme won't help, the link is still available.

If it is for every single blog, no exceptions, then you would have to do some editing in some core files. Depending on how you go about it, depends on where you would make the changes.

Most likely the default permalinks for /feed would be the easiest.

You would want to take the links to the feed out of any themes, and widgets and stuff as well. Just to keep from having a bunk link somewhere.

You'll have to dig around and find what and where you want to edit. Good luck.

3. drmike
    Posted 17 years ago #

I'd just put die(); within the feed files myself.

That and delete all of the links within the themes, remove the meta tags for them within the theme's header.php file, etc.

4. plainsman
    Posted 17 years ago #

Is it possible to stop the feed from just one blog?

I have one user that wishes to have a blog that is completely private. I'd like to help them out.

Currenty, I've just noticed, their feed still comes through. This is despite having all of the posts password protected. I get the post and the comments in the community wide WPMU RSS feeds.

5. andrea_r
    Posted 17 years ago #

The posts should still come up in the feed with the password box. :-/

6. lunabyte
    Posted 17 years ago #

To keep it out of the Sitewide Feed, you "could" just tag it as a "mature" blog. Mature in this instance meaning age, which keeps it out of list and feeds, etc.

7. plainsman
    Posted 17 years ago #

Thanks, andrea_r. Yep, that's revelation for me. I should have realized though, now. After more thought I believe I read that a long time ago, but forgot.

And thanks, lunabyte. I'm not sure of how you mean "tag" it as "mature". Do you mean have the user purposely make the post's dates reflect a month, or year ago, to force them to not show up in the sitewide feed? Or some other way?

I guess that dating trick would work. But, the feed of the single blog would still work if someone just subscribed to it, alone.

Any guidance will be appreciated.

Thank you.

8. andrea_r
    Posted 17 years ago #

Go to Site Admin -> Blog and find the blog in question. Click Edit. On that screen, you can see the "mature" flag.

(cool, I did not know that's what that did. Huh.)

9. plainsman
    Posted 17 years ago #

Thank you, Andrea. A big help.

10. gumgone
    Posted 15 years ago #

WHAT IS the outcome of this can it be done ???

http://wordpress.org/extend/ideas/topic.php?id=1247&replies=5#post-6906

About this Topic