The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

What tweaks will you make to 1.1.1? (6 posts)

1. Farms2
    Posted 17 years ago #

I though this might be an interesting topic as besides all the heavy stuff in terms of plugins, databases, themes etc. there's always a fair number of little edits and teaks to be made with each wpmu upgrade.

Perhaps by listing them here we can help each other identify niggling things that need to be changed and maybe produce a useful list of stuff that can be fixed up in future releases.

Anyway, for 1.1.1 I'll be making the following tweaks... howabout you?

/wp-admin/

* index.php - Remove RSS feeds & replace with edublogs links
    * admin-footer.php - Edit for edublogs footer and forums link
    * menu-header.php - Add in extra links (forums & premium)
    * admin-functions.php - Replace Browsehappy with own Firefox referral badge (or just delete)
    * themes.php - Remove guff about uploading themes at the bottom
    * plugins.php - Remove guff about adding plugins & change text at top explaining plugins.

/wp-includes/

* wpmu-functions.php - Edit default first links (and anything else) to your liking

Looking forward to others mini-edits :)

2. lunabyte
    Posted 17 years ago #

/wp-admin/
    - wpmu-options.php: add in do_action at bottom of form, so i can add custom options with a plugin.

- admin.php: add in call to include scripts from wp-admin/plugins dir, so I can load admin area only plugins

- themes.php: edit to produce a list of themes, with image called on hover of link. Plus similar to what you mentioned.

- Same footer, menu changes.

- Same feed changes, although to index-extra.php, so it works. ;) he he he

/wp-includes/

- wpmu-functions.php: lots of little edits here. Including links, initial prefs, "username only" added as subscriber to main blog, and image verification stuff for registration pages, and custom code.

/root/

- wp-settings.php: plugin enhancements, custom code.

- wp-signup.php: add get_sidebar. I want my sidebar, dang it. Also remove the additional style tag, as it kills validation. (I put it in my header file, and use a stristr to call it). Custom captcha stuff, tos stuff.

- wp-activate: sidebar and remove style tag.

I know I'm forgetting some stuff. A lot of little edits here and there. In a lot of places I just add a new do action call, so I can plug my stuff in with plugins.

3. conpeo
    Posted 17 years ago #

\wp-includes\wp-db.php

I see this code in line77, so no need to add set name UTF-8 again.

if ( !empty($this->charset) && version_compare(mysql_get_server_info(), '4.1.0', '>=') )
    $this->query("SET NAMES '$this->charset'");

4. drmike
    Posted 17 years ago #

Oh, where to begin... :)

5. lunabyte
    Posted 17 years ago #

Kind of what I thought. I didn't break out my list, else my post would have been 10 times as long. lol

Of course that isn't a knock on MU, mind you. But I think we all know that MU is different things to different people. You take something that's great, and make it into something tailored to your situation.

6. Farms2
    Posted 17 years ago #

Please do but :)

About this Topic