The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

Upgrading hints and tricks (8 posts)

1. comforteaglespaceman
    Inactive
    Posted 18 years ago #

I'm curious to hear what techniques people are using to upgrade their currently installed mu instances?

There must be a much better way than doing a cp file.php /dir/to/mu for every change in the Changelog??

What techniques can you share?

2. jaseone
    Inactive
    Posted 18 years ago #

1. Backup the handful of files in the root directory along with the whole of the wp-inst directory
    2. wget http://blogs.linux.ie/download/wpmu/wpmu-unstable.tar.gz
    3. tar -xzvf wpmu-unstable.tar.gz
    4. cd wpmu-XXXX-XX-XX
    5. cp -R * ../
    6. If upgrade-scehama is in the changelog then goto Site Admin / Upgrade and upgrade the blogs. I usually also call mainsite.com/wp-admin/upgrade.php first but I'm not sure if that is needed or not.
    7. if htaccess.dist has changed then review and merge any changes into the .htaccess.

If just a couple of files have changed I might just cp those ones instead of all of them.

3. jaseone
    Inactive
    Posted 18 years ago #

What I would *really* love though is access to the SVN repository so a simple svn up can take care of business...

4. partypageusa
    Posted 18 years ago #

What I do is look at the change log and if there are massive amount of change or high priority changes I will upload the files to the site. I do this so I can keep track of changes so I don't wind up over writing changes I did to the files. I also do the 6 and 7 step jaseone mention above.

5. jaseone
    Inactive
    Posted 18 years ago #

Another reason why an SVN repository would be a good idea! (much easier to keep track of local changes)

6. comforteaglespaceman
    Inactive
    Posted 18 years ago #

Hrmmm now the blogs have the install page as the front page. I don't think that's quite corrent. 8^)

7. comforteaglespaceman
    Inactive
    Posted 18 years ago #

Fixed it.

8. donncha
    Key Master
    Posted 18 years ago #

I don't think you should ever blindly copy over every file from the repository. I use vimdiff to merge differences and spend time figuring out what has changed. The recent image uploader does require an upgrade of the db, takes ages with lots of users!
    The image-uploader.php is now included, I forgot to add it to SVN yesterday!

About this Topic

• Started 18 years ago by comforteaglespaceman
  • Latest reply from donncha