The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

Sidebar editor plugin (28 posts)

1. Korora
    Posted 18 years ago #

I released sidebar editer plugin which make every user possible to choice/order/add contents of sidebar. I think this is very useful.
    Here is copy from my entry( http://flapjack.chips.jp/blog/pp/2005/09/29/44/ ):

---
    Sidebar editor plugin for Word Press is now available.
    I tested this on Word Press multi user edition and it works anyway. I think this plugin works also on normal Word Press.

Screenshot
    http://flapjack.chips.jp/blog/pp/files/2005/09/screenshot-se.png

Features
    » You can re-order your sidebar-contents
    » You can add custom fields without editing sidebar.php. It means that you can add your profile, Bloglines, Flickr badge and anothe sidebar-contents very easily!
    » You can make 2 sidebars: It is very useful if you want to have sidebars on both side.
    » You can inactivate every contents of sidebar if you don’t want to show it.
    » If you are WPMU user, every user can genelate their own sidebar!

Requirements
    » Themes which have almost the same sidebar.php as Wordpress Default 1.5.

---

I hope that you are interested in this plugin:)

2. BlogsWithUs
    Inactive
    Posted 18 years ago #

I am just about to install this. If this works then many thanks to you!

3. BlogsWithUs
    Inactive
    Posted 18 years ago #

I am getting an error when trying to get the plugins options page up. I have posted more about it on your blog post.

4. BlogsWithUs
    Inactive
    Posted 18 years ago #

Problem solved. Make sure that your host is running PHP with mbstring support.
    Just recompiling now...

5. Korora
    Posted 18 years ago #

Thank you for your repport.
    I've forgotten that I'm using mbstring functions. I think (or hope that) it is no problem if your PHP supports mbstring but I'll try to get the scripts functional without mbstring...

6. BlogsWithUs
    Inactive
    Posted 18 years ago #

Well I can say that this script has got to be one of the best available!

At the moment I am in the process of adding it to all my themes. And adding support for other plugins.

It is available on the Default theme if you get an account @ http://blogswith.us

7. Korora
    Posted 18 years ago #

Thanx:)

8. horribletak
    Inactive
    Posted 18 years ago #

This plugin has to be the most useful thing I've ever encountered, but for whatever reason (maybe it's my computer ineptitude) I can't get it to work quite right. It looks like another sidebar has been slightly superimposed over the old one, with all the old options. It's rather unsightly and peculiar. Would anyone be able to tell me why it might be behaving like this?

9. Korora
    Posted 18 years ago #

Did you comment out get_sidebar(); collectly?

10. redeagle
    Posted 18 years ago #

Fatal error: Call to undefined function: mb_eregi() in /home/redeagl/public_html/wpmu/wp-inst/wp-content/plugins/se_files/gls.php on line 534

is what I get under presentation/sidebar editor
    I deleted everything and reinstalled with the latest files just this morning (and several times yesterday)

11. Korora
    Posted 18 years ago #

It seems that mbstring is disabled on your PHP installation.
    You must recompile php with mbstring to surpport it.
    Here is instruction on mbstring:

http://jp.php.net/manual/en/ref.mbstring.php

12. redeagle
    Posted 18 years ago #

thank you!

13. Korora
    Posted 18 years ago #

I fixed the plugin a little, and released version 1.3b which works without mbstring functions!
    If you are interested in, please check following page, download v1.3b and try it!

http://flapjack.chips.jp/blog/pp/2005/09/29/44/

14. billdennis
    Inactive
    Posted 18 years ago #

Anyone know why I cant use the Sidebar Editor to include Theme Switcher?

15. jonimueller
    Posted 18 years ago #

I am using this plugin at

http://petdiaries.net

which will launch on or around December 1. Right now there is a testbed available. This plugin installed flawlessly and works like a charm.

Now I can go ahead and install some of the other fun plugins (e.g., wp-icq, wp-netflix, flickr) that I had been reluctant to install since people couldn't (until now) edit their own sidebars to add personal content.

16. Stapleton
    Posted 18 years ago #

Excellent Plugin!!

17. Korora
    Posted 18 years ago #

I'm so glad that you like that plugin!
    I wrote add_on.php and output.php for WP themeswitcher, and uploaded here:

http://flapjack.chips.jp/downloads/add_on.zip

Regards.

18. billdennis
    Inactive
    Posted 18 years ago #

The plugin's creator had added some code so that a theme switcher is part of the built-in sidebar. It works like a charm.

19. billdennis
    Inactive
    Posted 18 years ago #

Well, he beat me to it, I see. EXCELLENT plugin, BTW! Works even better now. I'm going through and making the necessary changes to Kubrick style themes.

20. fimion
    Posted 18 years ago #

I'm having some trouble editing custom fields in the sidebar editor. is there some magical thing i'm supposed to do to edit them?

See what i see here.

21. fimion
    Posted 18 years ago #

never mind. I just fixed the problem by editing dbx.css

a.dbx-toggle-open, a.dbx-toggle-open:visited {
    background-position:0px 0px;
    }
    a.dbx-toggle-closed{
    background-position: -12px 0px;
    }
    a.dbx-toggle-closed:visited {
    background-position: -12px 0px;
    }
    a.dbx-toggle-hilite-open{
    }
    a.dbx-toggle-hilite-open:visited {
    }
    a.dbx-toggle-hilite-closed{
    background-position:-12px 0px;
    }
    a.dbx-toggle-hilite-closed:visited {
    background-position:-12px 0px;
    }

22. Stapleton
    Posted 18 years ago #

The latest build of wordpress mu doesn't have the plugins option for users, would it be possible to get this plugin to work in the MUplugins directory??

23. Korora
    Posted 18 years ago #

>>fimion
    Thank you. I had tha same problem when I updated wpmu to the latest version. Very kind tips!

>>Stapleton
    Really?
    It works in my installation. I'm not sure but it may work also in wpmu-plugin folder.

When I updated from WPMU-11-04 to WPMU-12-08, the wpdb object failed to unserialize sidebar-contents which was stored in potions table. I'm not written patch but I'm not sure if the same problem occours on everyone's installation. Please be careful anyway!

24. sycophant
    Posted 18 years ago #

I've had trouble getting this to work.

I just installed the latest (14 Dec) version of WPMU. I got the 'maybe it works' version from the site, and installed it per the instructions. It comes up in the presentation and options sections, but when I click on it I get 404, as the link goes to /wp-admin/sideeditor.php which isn't where the file is (it displays "The requested URL /wp-inst/wp-admin/sideeditor.php was not found on this server.")

I don't know enough about the plugin system to be able to figure out why this is.

Upon re-reading the above post - I have installed the plugin in "mu-plugins" I will try the other directory.

Fixed
    I solved my own problem.

I misunderstood the plugin situation (from reading another thread). I moved the SE stuff to the normal plugins folder, and enabled the plugins page and the activated the plugin.

Although this seems to require that every user activate the SE plugin themselves? Can it be activated globally?

25. fimion
    Posted 18 years ago #

i don't know. it might require you to edit the plugin a bit to allow it to be activated globally. i'll look at it a bit later and tell you then.

26. Null
    Posted 18 years ago #

I like what I see (on the screenshot) and wondered if the following could be build in:
    Darg and drop.

So if you want a item in de sidebar above another one, just drag and drop it there.

If you have 2 sidebars (renamed leftbar and rightbar instaid of 1 and 2?) You can drag and drop too. An excample:
    http://neb.net/playground/dragdrop/

Hope this can be added, it would be so cool!

27. sleastack
    Posted 17 years ago #

I have the weirdest bug going on with my MU install. As of November 1, anything posted brings down the server (in a nasty way. I narrowed it down to the sidebar editor. If I change the date to October 31st it will be fine, but anything November will crash all HTTP services.

When I disable the plugin the site works fine. Problem is, I really like the plugin especially being able to allow each blog user to have their own custom about field.

Any help on this issue much appreciated

28. andrea_r
    Posted 17 years ago #

Ah, I saw your other post... if you've narrowed it down to this plugin, you can feel free to dump it.
    It'll be a lot of work to switch, but the Widgets plugin does the same exact thing, but better (drag n drop).

About this Topic