The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

trying out the slickr plugin (54 posts)

1. stimuli
    Posted 17 years ago #

Upgrade your mu wordpress to 1.1.1, as this problem does not exist on that platform.

Also, as I requested before, REMOVE your slickr/templates/upload.php that you created.

2. suleiman
    Posted 17 years ago #

stimuli, is 1.1.1 absolutely necessary for this plugin to work? What If I try it on 1.0 but don't create my own templates?

3. Ovidiu
    Posted 17 years ago #

ok, I will upgrade these days, but about the upload.php:

I went to your site, clicked on download, said open with winrar and when I checked the downlaoded file inside slickr/slickr/templates there is an upload.php - right?

4. suleiman
    Posted 17 years ago #

nevermind, works fine on 1.0, and looks pretty hot to boot!

5. Ovidiu
    Posted 17 years ago #

:-)

*a happy grinning slickr user who just upgraded to 1.1.1+*

All I can say is it did not work with 1.1 which I had previously installed, but now on 1.1.1 its working flawless...

thx for the plugin, thx for the support

6. stimuli
    Posted 17 years ago #

np, guys, my pleasure. I'm not very familiar with MUWP, and getting it running locally on MAMP (mamp.info) is a pain, as MUWP doesn'y like being hosted on 'localhost.'

It's a relief to know that it works out of the box with the latest version ;)

BTW, yes, I left an upload.php in there... feel free to delete it (it does nothing). I'll remove it from the next version.

7. suleiman
    Posted 17 years ago #

lol..i spoke too soon! Get a load of this ovidiu:

Warning: main(upload-functions.php) [function.main]: failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /home/suleiman/public_html/wp-content/plugins/slickr/slickr/templates/upload.php on line 23

Fatal error: main() [function.require]: Failed opening required 'upload-functions.php' (include_path='.:/usr/lib/php:/usr/local/lib/php') in /home/suleiman/public_html/wp-content/plugins/slickr/slickr/templates/upload.php on line 23

Looks like this plugin needs wpmu 1.1.1

8. kingler
    Posted 17 years ago #

The Slickr plugin includes a copy of the WordPress upload file. I guess this is the problem!

You need to go into the Slickr plugin and replace that upload file with WPMU 1.0's one, because the Slickr's built-in one is from WP 2.1.

9. Ovidiu
    Posted 17 years ago #

ok, now that we got this littel gem working, what about the included sidebar widget? you cna activate it from the slickr options page, it does show the thumbs in the sidebar, but when you click a thumb it sends me to the photogallery saying:

Select a Flickr album to view its photos.

you can check it out on one of my blogs: http://pascani.zice.ro the widget included with slickr is the one that shows them 2x2 and also I am curious about how much Space this thing actually uses if I enable DB cache instead of FS...
    also when hovering above the generated thumbs in the sidebar, it seems the widget adds one /photos/ too much in the url...

I do hope stimuli is still around here :-)

10. suleiman
    Posted 16 years ago #

I was able to fix this problem by going into the slickr upload.php file and deleting everything, and inserting only this:

if (!defined('ABSPATH')) define('ABSPATH', dirname(__FILE__).'/../../../../../');
    require_once(dirname(__FILE__).'/../../../../../wp-admin/upload.php');

11. Ovidiu
    Posted 16 years ago #

hey suleiman,

if I remember right, after doing the upgrade slickr was working flawless. it was just the widget that does not work, as I described in my post above.
    did you have to do these mods to get the plugin itself running?

12. suleiman
    Posted 16 years ago #

when i moved from 1.1.1 to 1.2.1 slickr broke. So I needed to revist this, and the above solution was what turned up.

13. Ovidiu
    Posted 16 years ago #

there is a new version out. 0.5b which brings a fully working widget for the sidebar :-)

14. Ovidiu
    Posted 16 years ago #

ahem***

tried to get 0.5.2b working with wpmu 1.3RC3 I am stuck with this result: http://sasha.zice.ro/photo/

the albums load fine, you just don't see the thumbs. If you click repeatedly on an album, you'll see the thumbs for a fraction of a second then they are gone :-(

any hints?

p.s. no mods done to this slickr version.

15. lunabyte
    Posted 16 years ago #

Last I looked, and I think I posted this in a recent thread about this plugin, it does require a lot of hacking to make compatible with MU.

From table prefixes, to file caching, to some other stuff with it.

16. Ovidiu
    Posted 16 years ago #

nah, my search for slickr did not bring any new and relevant posts to my attention, except this old one. I mean I could always go back to the old version I had working...

17. lunabyte
    Posted 16 years ago #

Strange you didn't find it. It was literally within the last 2 days that someone asked that question.

18. Ovidiu
    Posted 16 years ago #

*cough* indeed I did find this thread: http://mu.wordpress.org/forums/topic.php?id=6511&page&replies=3 but its not the same problem as I have - and I have an old. working version something like 0.2.? I just wanted to know if the new one is working, besides that I don't get errors, the thumbs are just not showing up - its like they had a display:none css style :-(

19. Ovidiu
    Posted 16 years ago #

firebug my friend, helped me out:

element.style {
    opacity:0.001;

was the culprit...

had a combination of wrongly unpacked plugin files+theme interfering :-( sorry to have bothered you all.

20. Ovidiu
    Posted 16 years ago #

one last question:

what caching method is recommended? In the current version it says:

/* The db caching method is very experimental and hella slow! */
    /* change "fs" to "db" to use database caching instead */
    if (!defined("SLICKR_FLICKR_CACHEMODE"))
    define("SLICKR_FLICKR_CACHEMODE", "fs");

the old version I still have around says:

/* This caching method is very experimental and hella slow! */
    /* change "fs" to "db" to use database caching instead */
    if (!defined("SLICKR_FLICKR_CACHEMODE"))
    define("SLICKR_FLICKR_CACHEMODE", "fs");

so whats recommended now? I guess in the actual version its a typo and DB caching is way faster, right?

21. lunabyte
    Posted 16 years ago #

Well, think about this. This is a WP plugin. Where do you think the caching is going to go?

Where are them files going to be stored? How is that db table created?

Those were only a few issues I've had with it.

22. stimuli
    Posted 16 years ago #

I much prefer file caching, as db caching is slow and experimental. YMMV.

Ovidiu: Glad you got it working again. Sorry your posts didn't show up on my site; they were caught by Akismet (likely because of all the URLS).

23. Ovidiu
    Posted 16 years ago #

@stimuli

no problem, in the end, the problem was on my side and I guessed that my comments were caught by some anti-spam measures, as I am located in a country where most ISP's dynamical IPs have a long record of spammers.... so every second IP I get is blacklisted somewhere :-(

and yes, I was not sure which caching method is faster as those two quotes, seemed contradictory to me but that might be due to the fact, that I am no native englsih speaker.

thx for the support

24. stimuli
    Posted 16 years ago #

lunabyte: If you have suggestions as to how I can make SG more WPMU-friendly, I'm all ears. My email is rustyvespa@gmail.com

About this Topic