The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

New very big theme pack (23 posts)

1. Farms2
    Posted 17 years ago #

Phew, may I present for your delectation the aptly titled Farms' Really Big Theme Pack :)

All in all there are 65 themes there ranging from the classic to the ultra modern.

They're all widgetised (i.e. have widgets), all have nice pithy write ups for the Presentation menu, all have been tested and many of them also have extra functions like changeable headers.

They've incorporated in full Nevans' fixes from the last pack and are all running on several live sites (with no shortage of guinea pigs) so if there are any security weaknesses or bugs I should know about them first!

Anyway, enjoy: http://wpmudevorg.wordpress.com/project/Farms-Really-Big-Theme-Pack

And let me know any problems, ideas or important themes I've missed (and before anyone says anything - if someone can post a secure WPMU version of K2 sans bugs and with features I'll include it in the next version).

BTW = The next pack planned is an ultra modern, slim 'un full of themes with changeable headers built in... hopefully sooner than 3 months away :)

2. zappoman
    Posted 17 years ago #

Love IT!!! Awesome.

EDIT
    One small issue, I just ran into, I don't know if this is cause by me running MU 1.0, but I am seeing the following error in some of the themes (freshy, dixiebelle, newsportal, Simplr, Tarski)...

Wordpress database error: [Table 'wpmu.wp_2_linkcategories' doesn't exist]
    SELECT cat_id, cat_name FROM wp_2_linkcategories

It looks like linkcategories is depricated.

I see references to linkcategories being depricated in function upgrade_210() where it looks like the code is moving stuff from the linkscategories table into the links and link2cat tables. Also noticed in depricated.php that the $tablelinkcategories global is set to 'linkcategories_is_gone'.

Anyway, I love the hard work but it looks like there are at least a couple themes whose sidebars are not 100% MU compatible.

EDIT
    Ok, I found out that the solution can be fixed with a pretty simple change found in the Connections Theme.

Basically you need code that looks like this...

if (substr(get_bloginfo('version'), 0, 3) < 2.1)
    {
    $cats = $wpdb->get_results("SELECT cat_id, cat_name FROM $wpdb->linkcategories");
    }
    else
    {
    $cats = get_categories("type=link&orderby=name&order=ASC&hierarchical=0");
    }

Instead of just making the SQL call to the linkcategories table.

3. Farms2
    Posted 17 years ago #

I wonder why I'm not getting these on either a 1.0 or a 1.1 install? Tres odd.

4. andrea_r
    Posted 17 years ago #

I was tempted to type op the whole list of them so others could avoid snagging the whole thing just to see if there's a few they want. :)

But.. eh.. only takes a minute to look.

5. enseignement
    Posted 17 years ago #

just a problem with Tarski ... something with autoload in the database.

6. zappoman
    Posted 17 years ago #

Farms, this may be an issue only with fresh installs of WPMU. From what I can tell, these tables used to exist, but around WP 2.1 they were deprecated. I don't really understand how the upgrade process is supposed to work, so my comments were based on reading the code. I guess it's possible that there are some usage scenarios where the listcategories tables still exist (certainly in pure-Wordpress, the themes might be running on an older version of wordpress and they want to be backward and forward compatible). This would explain why in the connections theme does this if clause.

Anyway, since I'm working on a fresh install of WPmu, it definitely doesn't create listcategories tables and I am seeing these SQL errors. Oh yeah, I am running on MySQL 5.x so it may also be that with an older version of MySQL the errors are suppressed or something. But clearly if the table isn't there, then the links aren't going to get displayed properly.

7. Farms2
    Posted 17 years ago #

OK, am going to fix this today.

Can you let me into that Tarski problem in more detail please.

8. Farms2
    Posted 17 years ago #

Really am stuffed here - I've fixed the Freshy error but new blogs on 1.1. and 1.0 installs don't reproduce the errors you mention - I'm going to run a fresh install and try there.

9. suleiman
    Posted 17 years ago #

Fatal error: Cannot redeclare pickaskin() (previously declared in /home/.../public_html/wp-content/themes/vistered-little-1/functions.php:44) in /home/.../public_html/wp-content/themes/vistered-little-1/functions.php on line 43

is the error i get when activating visitred little :(

10. enseignement
    Posted 17 years ago #

WordPress database error: [Data truncated for column 'autoload' at row 1]
    INSERT INTO wp_10_options (option_name, option_value, option_description, autoload) VALUES ('tarski_installed', '1.2.2', 'This option simply tells us if Tarski has been installed before', '')

INSERT INTO wp_10_options (option_name, option_value, option_description, autoload) VALUES ('tarski_header', 'greytree.jpg', '', '')

INSERT INTO wp_10_options (option_name, option_value, option_description, autoload) VALUES ('blurb', 'This is the about text', 'Allows you to write a small blurb about you and your blog, which will be put on the frontpage', '')

11. lunabyte
    Posted 17 years ago #

suleiman,

just stick an

if ( !function_exists("pickaskin") {

}

around that area where it adds the function in the functions.php of that theme.

12. suleiman
    Posted 17 years ago #

hmm...i've just come across another and far more fatal flaw:

the fauna theme inserts into the Presentation menu a Current Theme Options submenu which does not disappear even when Fauna is not active

I think for personal use this is fine, but on an MU site it is definitely not. I'm also concerned about the user experience when another theme is activated that also comes with its own theme options.

13. andrea_r
    Posted 17 years ago #

I noted that same issue with themes that use the theme toolkit, even modified for MU.

14. Farms2
    Posted 17 years ago #

Tarnation, I thought I had that fixed.

Well, I did have it fixed - I remember fixing it.

Now to remember how I managed that.

15. Farms2
    Posted 17 years ago #

Silly me, just replace themetoolkit.php with this one http://jason.lah.cc/2006/05/10/theme-toolkit-for-wordpress-mu/

So, I've made that fix and fixed up Freshy too.

Now all I need to do is figure out the problem with Tarski and fix the linkcategories and we'll be good for an update.

16. lunabyte
    Posted 17 years ago #

If the update could also include, or maybe a separate thing linked on your site or something, I would appreciate it. :D I was going to test this out, but haven't got there yet. In the middle of a software release, so I've been pretty tied up. :-\

17. Farms2
    Posted 17 years ago #

OK, all that's fixed now I think - I didn't really figure out the Tarski issue but I did delete an annoying and irrelevant option to update on newer versions of Tarski.

Looking forward to feedback: http://wpmudevorg.wordpress.com/project/Farms-Really-Big-Theme-Pack

(Oh, and I've added a couple more themes too so now there are 67 of them - Fast Track and Anthurium - by popular demand... I'm unflinching on notebook though ;)

18. Farms2
    Posted 17 years ago #

Create a blog at http://eslblogs.org/wp-signup.php if you want to test these with a 1.1 install.

19. Farms2
    Posted 17 years ago #

Wow... it couldn't, gasp, actually be... bug free ... could it :)

20. HansF
    Posted 16 years ago #

Wow! Respect! Thanks for sharing your hard work.

21. shibleyg
    Posted 16 years ago #

I'm having an issue with many of themes. I activate them, but when I check out the blog, it's just text. This happens with themes like Blue Moon, in particular.

Also, I'm getting that link categories error. Can someone tell me how to fix it?

Thanks!

22. Farms2
    Posted 16 years ago #

It's been fixed - perhaps - in the latest release... are you using the one on the top of the pile? What version of MU are you running?

23. SteveAtty
    Posted 16 years ago #

Is anyone else experiencing problems with some of these themes on IE?

Almost-spring looks fine on Opera and FF2 but on IE the nav bar is below the posts rather than to the right of them.

I'm going to try downloading the latest version of that theme from the authors site and see if that fixes the problem

About this Topic

• Started 17 years ago by Farms2
  • Latest reply from SteveAtty